Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Re: Let's e-mail the Showtime bosses about the reruns

Post by Panapaok »

LostInTheMovies wrote:I got a response from David Nevins:

"Yes. We plan to rerun the original series early next year!"

So I'm guessing it will be day-to-day, unless the new series is postponed until September (which I doubt, and certainly hope isn't the case). Glad to hear it's still on! No word on FWWM yet though (I asked about that in the email as well).
Great news. I guess a February premiere, is quite reasonable. A probable scenario, as someone has pointed out, is on Sundays against Vinyl, just before Game of Thrones.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime SPOILERS Thre

Post by eyeboogers »

GeekBoyEric74 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
There is another possibility and that is David creating brand new two hour episode edits. Perhaps 10 two hour episodes that incorporate FWWM and the Missing Pieces. Perhaps playing with chronological order of things? This would allow some of 17 through 23 or so to be gutted.
Is the new two hour edits just your hunch, or based on something you've heard? Because as much as I dislike episodes 18-23 (i'm ok with 17) it feels weird for David Lynch to edit someone else's work way after the fact.
Also it would be a contractual nightmare. This option is not very likely.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

GeekBoyEric74 wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
There is another possibility and that is David creating brand new two hour episode edits. Perhaps 10 two hour episodes that incorporate FWWM and the Missing Pieces. Perhaps playing with chronological order of things? This would allow some of 17 through 23 or so to be gutted.
Is the new two hour edits just your hunch, or based on something you've heard? Because as much as I dislike episodes 18-23 (i'm ok with 17) it feels weird for David Lynch to edit someone else's work way after the fact.
Pure guess.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

I just realized....with 31 days in January, you could run an episode a day, plus FWWM, dovetailing into an early February premiere. Plus, it fits the original series "every episode is one day" thing perfectly. It's a great marketing opportunity.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Given Lynch's proclivity to stick with whatever he made (refusing to even do a director's cut for Dune, for example) I am skeptical that he would re-edit the material OR crop the episodes for widescreen. Obviously George Lucas gets the most crap for it, but it seems to be a fairly common trait among many filmmakers (just the other day I was reading about essay filmmaker Thom Andersen making numerous changes to his own work, which he didn't see as a problem). Lynch seems to be one of the few who feels that once it is released, you don't revise it, unless I'm missing some precedent here. (He did re-edit Eraserhead after its first screening but that was his first film and I don't think it had been officially "released" yet; likewise with WAH after Cannes, which I think was mostly for the ratings board.)
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

GeekBoyEric74 wrote:I just realized....with 31 days in January, you could run an episode a day, plus FWWM, dovetailing into an early February premiere. Plus, it fits the original series "every episode is one day" thing perfectly. It's a great marketing opportunity.
Or go the whole hog and start the reruns on February 24th...?
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Clueless
Roadhouse Member

Post by Clueless »

LostInTheMovies wrote:Given Lynch's proclivity to stick with whatever he made (refusing to even do a director's cut for Dune, for example) I am skeptical that he would re-edit the material OR crop the episodes for widescreen. Obviously George Lucas gets the most crap for it, but it seems to be a fairly common trait among many filmmakers (just the other day I was reading about essay filmmaker Thom Andersen making numerous changes to his own work, which he didn't see as a problem). Lynch seems to be one of the few who feels that once it is released, you don't revise it, unless I'm missing some precedent here. (He did re-edit Eraserhead after its first screening but that was his first film and I don't think it had been officially "released" yet; likewise with WAH after Cannes, which I think was mostly for the ratings board.)
True, but I wonder if he has a different attitude toward a TV series that was often written and directed by other people.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Re: Let's e-mail the Showtime bosses about the reruns

Post by Harry S. Truman »

Most likely are that it is issued daily or several chapters a week as they are doing in Ski Italy. the impossible one week, because then we would be until September.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Clueless wrote:
LostInTheMovies wrote:Given Lynch's proclivity to stick with whatever he made (refusing to even do a director's cut for Dune, for example) I am skeptical that he would re-edit the material OR crop the episodes for widescreen. Obviously George Lucas gets the most crap for it, but it seems to be a fairly common trait among many filmmakers (just the other day I was reading about essay filmmaker Thom Andersen making numerous changes to his own work, which he didn't see as a problem). Lynch seems to be one of the few who feels that once it is released, you don't revise it, unless I'm missing some precedent here. (He did re-edit Eraserhead after its first screening but that was his first film and I don't think it had been officially "released" yet; likewise with WAH after Cannes, which I think was mostly for the ratings board.)
True, but I wonder if he has a different attitude toward a TV series that was often written and directed by other people.
Just a guess, but I think he'd be even MORE averse to fiddling with it in that case, out of respect.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

The X-Files re run the whole series daily in preperation for the new season. That could be the case with Twin Peaks too. There's no way they'll be airing only one episode per week.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

N. Needleman wrote:I am voting Option 3 - daily. June is not "early 2017". That would also create a steady, relentless build of hype to the new series airing in February(?). You'd have sites like Vulture blogging about the original show every day.
I Agree.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Panapaok wrote:The X-Files re run the whole series daily in preperation for the new season. That could be the case with Twin Peaks too. There's no way they'll be airing only one episode per week.
Sky Italy are issuing two or three episodes, I think a week. Such a thing can do in showtime, although the daily emission would be best.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

PandemoniumSeesaw wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:The old series will be rerun on Showtime early next year.
Hell God Baby Damn No! Unless they plan to broadcast more than one episode a week, that means we will have to wait A LOT (at least till June) before the new series airs! :(
They will issue several episodes a week or daily issue. until June i'm pretty sure that will not wait. they will not start a season that we have been waiting 25 years at the summer when people are on vacation and mostly outside his home.
Harry S. Truman
RR Diner Member

Jerry Horne wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:Damn, could that mean we won't see the new season until 30+ weeks into 2017 :-( Was hoping for a late January bow.
Maybe they will show two episodes a week?

I'll call it now. There will be a short teaser for the new series after each rerun episode.

As minimum there will be two episodes by week. I that I am clear. an episode a week, will not be.

David Nevins said the series would begin airing in the first half of 2017. issuing a chapter by week, it arrive to September.

That's why I'm so sure.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Ross wrote:I'm really wondering if they will be cropped to widescreen?
Why would it be? Pre-2000 era TV shows get shown all the time in the correct aspect ratio. The only exception is stuff like The X Files where it has the ability to be opened up.