Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Showtime Re-broadcast of Original Series

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I got a response from David Nevins:

"Yes. We plan to rerun the original series early next year!"

So I'm guessing it will be day-to-day, unless the new series is postponed until September (which I doubt, and certainly hope isn't the case). Glad to hear it's still on! No word on FWWM yet though (I asked about that in the email as well).
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Re: Let's e-mail the Showtime bosses about the reruns

Post by laughingpinecone »

Excellent news! So... we can rule out January for the premiere :lol:
fwiw, marathoning the old episodes at the pace of one per day while waiting for the new ones certainly has precedent. Sky Italia is already doing that with Twin Peaks right now, and while I don't follow TXF, I remember that they did the same before s10 (starting, of course, 202 days earlier...). I don't know the first thing about this kind of logic, but it makes sense, doesn't it? Airing old episodes once per week would just lead interested newcomers to go binge on Netflix. Once per day keeps the momentum going...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Re: SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime SPOILERS Thre

Post by eyeboogers »

Damn, could that mean we won't see the new season until 30+ weeks into 2017 :-( Was hoping for a late January bow.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

eyeboogers wrote:Damn, could that mean we won't see the new season until 30+ weeks into 2017 :-( Was hoping for a late January bow.
Maybe they will show two episodes a week?

I'll call it now. There will be a short teaser for the new series after each rerun episode.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Great job Lost!
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Jerry Horne wrote:Confirmed by David Nevins to our very own LostInTheMovies! The old series will be rerun on Showtime early next year.
Hmmm...weird...there are 30 episodes total...right? 8 season 1 and 22 in season 2? so if it is 1 episode a week that would be approximately until the summer time...
I have to assume they are going to show 5 episodes a week? which means if they start the 1st week of January, the earliest we get the new episodes would be mid February...I'll go out on a limb and say that the new season will start in mid January...and last until the end of February,with the new episodes going all of March and April and the 1st 2 weeks of May...I think Jerry said on B.Dukes podcast he thinks it might be 10 episodes...so my calculations are based on that...

All in all this sucks...Was hoping the new series would start right after the new year....the wait continues :(
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

laughingpinecone wrote:Excellent news! So... we can rule out January for the premiere :lol:
Well - unless it's January 31. ;)
kafa81
RR Diner Member

Post by kafa81 »

Jerry Horne wrote:
eyeboogers wrote:Damn, could that mean we won't see the new season until 30+ weeks into 2017 :-( Was hoping for a late January bow.
Maybe they will show two episodes a week?

I'll call it now. There will be a short teaser for the new series after each rerun episode.
Even if they show 2 episodes a week right after the new year, that means the new season wouldn't start until mid April...I might be wrong, but I don't think the new season will go into June for a season finale....I figured the season finale would be some time in May at the latest
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

LostInTheMovies wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:Excellent news! So... we can rule out January for the premiere :lol:
Well - unless it's January 31. ;)
FWWM tho :cry:
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

I don't know the first thing about this kind of logic, but it makes sense, doesn't it? Airing old episodes once per week would just lead interested newcomers to go binge on Netflix. Once per day keeps the momentum going...
Also, honestly, it addresses a concern many of us had - that new viewers would be turned off by a once-a-week approach during the show's second half. (Whatever one thinks of those episodes, there does seem to be a phenomenon of viewers dropping off during that period.) They will pass much more quickly at once a day. And even if viewers do tune out, they're more likely to tune back in for the new stuff (or even the s2 finale) if it's a few weeks, rather than a few months, away.

I'm a *bit* worried this means a September 2017 premiere. But not *too* worried. That said, Lynch has already passed the 25th in-world anniversaries (of course), the 25th anniversary of the pilot (also unsurprising given the date of the announcement), and the 25th anniversary of the finale (which seems to have been the original target). August 28, 2017 WOULD be the 25th anniversary of FWWM's U.S. premiere. If they chose that date to premiere the new series (it's a Monday, and also of course in August - not sure how ideal either bit of timing would be for Showtime), they could run an episode every week starting on January 23 (or the 30th, but then they'd have to skip FWWM which kinda blows the whole "25th anniversary of FWWM significance").

Or if the series STARTED week-to-week reruns on, say, Monday, January 30, it could time Fire Walk With Me to air on its own 25th anniversary. The Missing Pieces could go up on Labor Day, and then the first episode could premiere one week after Labor Day. Don't know how well this aligns with TV norms, but it's interesting to consider.

That said, my guess is they will run once a day starting New Year's Day and then the new series will debut - fingers crossed - on Wednesday, February 1, leaving time for FWWM - maybe a FWWM/Missing Pieces double feature (I doubt they would either combine them or give MP its own night) on January 31 after the series. Would Wednesday be a reasonable night for the show? Would an early February premiere have any logic to it? Again, I don't know this stuff at all (I hardly watch any TV) so I look forward to hearing from those who do.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

I think there are at least 2 or 3 possibilities here regarding the old series rerun, with the assumption that the new show will begin immediately afterwards (which seems a pretty reasonable assumption to me on numerous fronts).

1) As Jerry says, they could air 2 per week, meaning the premiere could be as early as the second week of April (close to the 27th anniversary of the pilot). Or some other number (3, 4, etc) although at that point I don't know why they wouldn't just do every day. (EDIT: Though adl does make a plausible case for 5 - maybe that should be listed as a separate possibility, dunno...)

2) They could air one a week, as I think we all assumed the would initially. Depending when they start, say the third or fourth week of January, they could time the s3 premiere for the week of FWWM's 25th anniversary, thus catching their last possible opportunity to fulfill the whole "see you in 25 years" synchronicity thing. Or they could air FWWM itself on the 25th anniversary, followed by the Missing Pieces (or some kind of promotional special) on Labor Day, and the s3 premiere itself the week after Labor Day, which seems a reasonable time to start a new series. (I hope it's not this, for the purely selfish reason that I don't want to wait a whole 'nother year!)

3) They could air it every day, and if they start as early as New Year's Day, the s3 premiere could be on Wednesday (they always liked that day, didn't they?), February 1, at least if they include FWWM in the broadcast lineup (I got no answer on that; maybe they're still negotiating with MK2?). If they don't, could be as early as Tuesday, January 31. This seems the most likely to me, since it allows viewers to catch up quickly but reasonably, doesn't allow attention to slacken during the buildup (ep. 17-23 will only take a week to unfold), and means that the show will premiere early in the year which most of our evidence pointed to so far, right?

I guess there's a fourth possibility, which is a marathon airing either back-to-back and split up into hour-long chunks over a week or so. I'd rather they didn't do that.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

LostInTheMovies wrote:I think there are at least 2 or 3 possibilities here regarding the old series rerun, with the assumption that the new show will begin immediately afterwards (which seems a pretty reasonable assumption to me on numerous fronts).

1) As Jerry says, they could air 2 per week, meaning the premiere could be as early as the second week of April (close to the 27th anniversary of the pilot). Or some other number (3, 4, etc) although at that point I don't know why they wouldn't just do every day. (EDIT: Though adl does make a plausible case for 5 - maybe that should be listed as a separate possibility, dunno...)

2) They could air one a week, as I think we all assumed the would initially. Depending when they start, say the third or fourth week of January, they could time the s3 premiere for the week of FWWM's 25th anniversary, thus catching their last possible opportunity to fulfill the whole "see you in 25 years" synchronicity thing. Or they could air FWWM itself on the 25th anniversary, followed by the Missing Pieces (or some kind of promotional special) on Labor Day, and the s3 premiere itself the week after Labor Day, which seems a reasonable time to start a new series. (I hope it's not this, for the purely selfish reason that I don't want to wait a whole 'nother year!)

3) They could air it every day, and if they start as early as New Year's Day, the s3 premiere could be on Wednesday (they always liked that day, didn't they?), February 1, at least if they include FWWM in the broadcast lineup (I got no answer on that; maybe they're still negotiating with MK2?). If they don't, could be as early as Tuesday, January 31. This seems the most likely to me, since it allows viewers to catch up quickly but reasonably, doesn't allow attention to slacken during the buildup (ep. 17-23 will only take a week to unfold), and means that the show will premiere early in the year which most of our evidence pointed to so far, right?

I guess there's a fourth possibility, which is a marathon airing either back-to-back and split up into hour-long chunks over a week or so. I'd rather they didn't do that.
In this day and age, option 3 wouldn't surprise me at all. Although, as someone else pointed out, Sunday might not work due to other heavy hitting shows airing.

There is another possibility and that is David creating brand new two hour episode edits. Perhaps 10 two hour episodes that incorporate FWWM and the Missing Pieces. Perhaps playing with chronological order of things? This would allow some of 17 through 23 or so to be gutted.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I am voting Option 3 - daily. June is not "early 2017". That would also create a steady, relentless build of hype to the new series airing in February(?). You'd have sites like Vulture blogging about the original show every day.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I'm really wondering if they will be cropped to widescreen?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

Jerry Horne wrote:
There is another possibility and that is David creating brand new two hour episode edits. Perhaps 10 two hour episodes that incorporate FWWM and the Missing Pieces. Perhaps playing with chronological order of things? This would allow some of 17 through 23 or so to be gutted.
Is the new two hour edits just your hunch, or based on something you've heard? Because as much as I dislike episodes 18-23 (i'm ok with 17) it feels weird for David Lynch to edit someone else's work way after the fact.