Beyond Season 3?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Beyond Season 3?

Post by FrightNight »

So what do you guys think about the possibility of Twin Peaks continuing beyond Season 3 which we're currently expecting? Is it conceivable? Are you up for it if it happens? Frost didn't discount the option in one of the interviews he gave when this Showtime project was announced now a year and a half ago.
I for one would be all for it, since there's been chronic deprivation of all things Twin Peaks in the last quarter of the century that's lasted way too long so I'll take as many of the new seasons as I can get, the more the better. Don't even see Lynch's age as a problem, since he and Frost could take the positions of showrunners and other people could direct and handle the day-to-day logistics, with Lynch himself maybe contributing an odd episode here and there - that way, the danger of the series straying too far from the original makers' artistic vision (as was arguably the case with Season 2 back in '91) would be kept at bay, providing Lynch and Frost keep a strong control over the whole shebang throughout ...
cowwithfivelegs
Roadhouse Member

Re: Beyond Season 3?

Post by cowwithfivelegs »

Last edited by cowwithfivelegs on Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

cowwithfivelegs wrote:Lynch or bust.
Yup.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

It's hard to say without having any idea what the new show will be and especially how it will end/to what extent it will bring "closure", however much there can be with Twin Peaks.

I'll take anything, obviously, but honestly, I'd rather see Lynch be reinvigorated by the experience of directing this and use the (presumed) success of Twin Peaks to get back into making feature films.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

ForKeeps wrote:It's hard to say without having any idea what the new show will be and especially how it will end/to what extent it will bring "closure", however much there can be with Twin Peaks.

I'll take anything, obviously, but honestly, I'd rather see Lynch be reinvigorated by the experience of directing this and use the (presumed) success of Twin Peaks to get back into making feature films.
Yeah, that echoes my feelings. I want one season that'll bring closure but without knowing the plot and the context of this new series, I don't really know what kind of ending I should expect. Hopefully there will be a satisfying conclusion and then Lynch might be able to do a movie again, after working in this for more than 5 years total.
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

But fellas, what about that special TP spirit, don't you want it to go on and on, not simply evaporate after one measly season? Especially since it was so long ago since we experienced it for the first time ... Bear in mind Lynch and Frost initially, back in '90, intended for the series to go on much longer than it did (I remember MacLachlan speaking back then about having a five-year contract ...) ... Besides, having the TV series tied up so closely to the execution of just ONE guy who writes as well as directs ALL of its parts sort of defies the notion of a TV series, a colaborated effort where a showrunner presides over a team of writers, directors etc. and relies on them to carry his vision through (since I don't think it physically possible for a single person to write and direct, say, six seasons worth of storytelling) - which is not to say I'm not thrilled at having Lynch helm the whole of the new episodes, I just see no need to demand anything that comes out of TP in the future MUST be directed by Lynch (if you think in such a manner, you must, by definition, be a fan of just five episodes of the original series and a movie prequel and discard the rest as nonsense). Of course, a continuation would be sensible only if the story evolves in such a way that it warrants a continuation (here, I agree with Panapaok), but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't, given Lynch's persistent fascination with a "continuing story", as he put it several times over the decades since TP went off the air ...

Of course, our opinions are bound to differ depending on our private devotion to the author and its product - I count myself as more of a TP than a Lynch fan, whereas that's not the case with I would say the majority of the posters here. I do think, however, that David Lynch is a creative genius, make no mistake about it (I find Blue Velvet as, without a shadow of doubt, one of the greatest cinematic achievements of all times and have a particular fondness for Wild at Heart and, of course TP: FWWM)!
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

Make that a "collaborative effort" :)
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I mean, Twin Peaks is great when there is a central mystery forming the plot. When the Laura Palmer murder was in the center of attention the show was great. Once it got solved, it all went downhill. Lynch & Frost spend 4 years writing the scripts. Such a long amount of time, so as to find an entrance to the story again and then some kind of closure too. They won't be able to spend so much time again, they'll just be forced to do more. This isn't how creativity works, this would be just milking the cow. Also, after up to 18 hours directed by Lynch, I'm not sure anyone would want someone else to take over. As much as I love the majority of the original series, after so much Lynch it will be very difficult to adapt to anything different.
DeerMeadowRadio
RR Diner Member

Post by DeerMeadowRadio »

I am with FrightNight. I am ecstatic with the new season we are getting, but would love for it to keep going. As you say, Lynch and Frost have always dropped nods to the ongoing story aspect and after 25ish years I would think their creative minds have expanded upon their initial ideas, not cut back. Also, there has been a lot of great TP not written/directed by Lynch/Frost. In interviews both Lynch and Frost have expressed regret at being hands off at times, so if they learn from that mistake and keep a strong guiding hand the show could run and run.

Time will tell.
FrightNight wrote:But fellas, what about that special TP spirit, don't you want it to go on and on, not simply evaporate after one measly season? Especially since it was so long ago since we experienced it for the first time ... Bear in mind Lynch and Frost initially, back in '90, intended for the series to go on much longer than it did (I remember MacLachlan speaking back then about having a five-year contract ...) ... Besides, having the TV series tied up so closely to the execution of just ONE guy who writes as well as directs ALL of its parts sort of defies the notion of a TV series, a colaborated effort where a showrunner presides over a team of writers, directors etc. and relies on them to carry his vision through (since I don't think it physically possible for a single person to write and direct, say, six seasons worth of storytelling) - which is not to say I'm not thrilled at having Lynch helm the whole of the new episodes, I just see no need to demand anything that comes out of TP in the future MUST be directed by Lynch (if you think in such a manner, you must, by definition, be a fan of just five episodes of the original series and a movie prequel and discard the rest as nonsense). Of course, a continuation would be sensible only if the story evolves in such a way that it warrants a continuation (here, I agree with Panapaok), but I'd be very surprised if it doesn't, given Lynch's persistent fascination with a "continuing story", as he put it several times over the decades since TP went off the air ...

Of course, our opinions are bound to differ depending on our private devotion to the author and its product - I count myself as more of a TP than a Lynch fan, whereas that's not the case with I would say the majority of the posters here. I do think, however, that David Lynch is a creative genius, make no mistake about it (I find Blue Velvet as, without a shadow of doubt, one of the greatest cinematic achievements of all times and have a particular fondness for Wild at Heart and, of course TP: FWWM)!

Come Listen to Deer Meadow Radio - A Twin Peaks Podcast

http://www.deermeadowradio.libsyn.com/
FrightNight
RR Diner Member

Post by FrightNight »

As you say, Lynch and Frost have always dropped nods to the ongoing story aspect and after 25ish years I would think their creative minds have expanded upon their initial ideas, not cut back. Also, there has been a lot of great TP not written/directed by Lynch/Frost. In interviews both Lynch and Frost have expressed regret at being hands off at times, so if they learn from that mistake and keep a strong guiding hand the show could run and run.
AMEN. :D
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

I'd be very surprised if everything isn't completely resolved in the finale of S3.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

But fellas, what about that special TP spirit, don't you want it to go on and on, not simply evaporate after one measly season?
I get that you're being slightly tongue in cheek here but this is a contradiction in terms, to me. Keeping it going on and on to me would be the opposite of retaining the "special spirit" , it would be about money/fan service, and I have no interest in that. Twin Peaks is not Marvel. I personally don't want spin offs and new seasons every year. This is special because Lynch and Frost came together after such a long time and had a story that they wanted to tell and they're doing it with 100% creative freedom.

Even if it was a situation where Frost continued to write it and Lynch gave it his blessing/stayed on as an exec producer or something, I'd probably watch it, but I would not be terribly excited or have high hopes.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

Unless David Lynch and Mark Frost come off of this new season with a wealth of new ideas for Twin Peaks that they want to implement and execute themselves, then I say let this be Twin Peaks' swan song. Assuming they don't end on a cliffhanger as huge as the season 2 finale.
wAtChLaR
RR Diner Member

Post by wAtChLaR »

season 3
then
new feature film please
other worlds to be explored before Lynch departs the planet
i'm a moderator's nightmare

i know i know
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

wAtChLaR wrote:season 3
then
new feature film please
other worlds to be explored before Lynch departs the planet
Yay! Twin Peaks S3 and then Ronnie Rocket! :D
Last edited by Panapaok on Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.