Tiny detail causing marital rift!

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Fat Rabbit

Tiny detail causing marital rift!

Post by Fat Rabbit »

Hi all!

My husband and I are long term fans of Twin Peaks, my husband introduced it to me 7 years ago (he first saw it when it originally came out!) and we have watched it together pretty much every year since then.

We have a dispute though which came up a few nights ago and we're both convinced we are right so I've come here to find some other fans and get more opinions!

For the sake of not swaying the board I won't say who's argument is who's!

It concerns Episode 27, the scene where Andrew Packard opens the box from Eckhart. To start with neither one of us is sure how the prodding of moon phases equates to dates but we're not so bothered by that (perhaps poetic licence?).

Our dispute is whether Andrew Packard is attempting to open the box with each individual date (trying three short sequences, the first two not working) or with all three dates collectively (as if they are all one long sequence, as if there is some sort of significance to these three dates together).

I appreciate this is a very tiny detail and I'm assuming most people haven't thought of it before! But it came up when in discussion and both of us are so convinced that we are right we can't understand how the other person thinks otherwise!

We'd really appreciate your opinions!

Thanks
beano
Roadhouse Member

Re: Tiny detail causing marital rift!

Post by beano »

that scene has always been one that has made the least sense to me of the whole series. however, i have always assumed that andrew was entering the dates collectively. the only reason i have for this assumption, i suppose, is the way he says the dates as if hes reading off a list rather than coming up with them in a random order. why he came up with these dates and in that particular order and how they made any connection to the actual symbols on the box baffles me. i have no idea if my assumption is correct, but that is what i have always thought.. anyway, good luck with your marriage.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

I, on the other hand, had always assumed it was the just entering "the date the gift arrived" that opened the box, and that the two previous guesses were not part of the solution...
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

I am going to have to go with the "all three dates collectively" answer. I dunno, I just always assumed that's what he did!
-23-
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Post by Shloogorgh »

OK,Bob wrote:I, on the other hand, had always assumed it was the just entering "the date the gift arrived" that opened the box, and that the two previous guesses were not part of the solution...
Yeah, I thought the first two were failed guesses and only the last attempt mattered
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

Yeah, Andrew said he was trying "a few simple combinations," not one complicated combination... Fwiw
Fat Rabbit

Post by Fat Rabbit »

OK,Bob wrote:Yeah, Andrew said he was trying "a few simple combinations," not one complicated combination... Fwiw
My thoughts exactly! My husband thought he sounded like he was reading out a list though. We're still squabbling over it, I expect the marriage will survive though!
chalfont
Roadhouse Member

Post by chalfont »

Fat Rabbit wrote:
OK,Bob wrote:Yeah, Andrew said he was trying "a few simple combinations," not one complicated combination... Fwiw
My thoughts exactly! My husband thought he sounded like he was reading out a list though. We're still squabbling over it, I expect the marriage will survive though!
Naahh...I'm pretty sure it's the combination;
Eckhardt's birthday - my birthday - the day the box was delivered..... :wink:
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

EACH date was a combination. Andrew said so himself, "trying a few...combinations"... ;-)
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

The last thing he tried opened the box, the previous were wrong guesses.
MasterMastermind
RR Diner Member

Post by MasterMastermind »

I'm with OKBob.
Fat Rabbit

Post by Fat Rabbit »

Thanks for your responses everybody! I'm glad to walk away the victor in this debate with 3-2 in my favour! Although my husbands still tells me it proves nothing, I'm sure he would feel differently if he'd won :lol: