Did Lynch actually say TP & Lost Highway share a universe?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Re: Did Lynch actually say TP & Lost Highway share a univers

Post by FauxOwl »

If Lynch ever said anything to indicate the two stories share a world or universe, I wouldn't be surprised if he meant it something along the lines of "They occupy the same creative mind space" and not literally "they are taking place in the same fictional universe". He may consider all of his films to be occupants of the same mental creative space... at least that sounds closer to what his thoughts might have been than the two stories take place in Lynch's version of the Marvel Universe... just a guess though.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

There was definitely something about TP, Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive sharing a universe on the old David Lynch website many many years ago. It generated a bit of news coverage at the time, but we're talking something like 2002, so it was an era when many of us didn't even have dial-up at home, so had to watch the site at work. The site was a good idea, but arrived about 10 years too early.

Certainly, having had a patch of not seeing any Lynch films for years, when I finally saw Lost Highway and Mulholland Drive, I had that shared universe statement in mind.

PS Happy New Year, folks! :)
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

james wrote:In "Lynch on Lynch" by Chris Rodley, David Lynch remarks that the Mystery Man from Lost Highway and The Little Man From Another Place in Twin Peaks come from the same world. I think Rodley asks Lynch this, so its more a case of worlds in worlds rather than one big world encompassing every story. I've been told Lynch also said his works relate to each other on Charlie Rose.
I don't own Lynch on Lynch, could someone confirm this passage please?
Andrea

Re: Did Lynch actually say TP & Lost Highway share a universe?

Post by Andrea »

I have the italian version, so cannot guarantee 100%.. but Lynch doesn't seem to say anything along these lines.
The interviewer is mentioning the "mystery man" in LH reminds him "conceptually" of TP's TMFAP, and Lynch agrees.
that's all.. also, I re-read the whole LH chapter (by the way, this book is essential reading for any Lynch's fan) and I'd say no connection at all exists between TP and LH, apart from them being both DL "mysteries", of course :)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

This talk reminds me of this annoying poster at the IMDB message boards who had this whole theory about FWWM and LH happening in the same universe. I don't remember the theory in details but it tied both films together somehow, and if you disagreed with him you were either dumb or wrong. I think people started to ignore him after a while and he disappeared. He probably read somewhere that Lynch made such statement (TP and LH happening in the same universe) and decided to create his own theory.
CuriousWoman
Roadhouse Member

Post by CuriousWoman »

My fan-theory would be that most supernatural entities (Man in the Planet, Mystery Man, Black Lodge, Hotel Room's staff etc) are from the same world but without the entirety of his works sharing the same world. Like a transcending world influencing all of his movies/episodes ones.

But I doubt Lynch see it that way (and if he did, I don't think he would actually tell us) and rather think that he just reuse similar themes and gimmicks. That's why this alleged quotation would have been of big interest to me.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I could buy it, but I see no official evidence of it.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

Here is that exact quote from "Lynch on Lynch" James mentioned:

Rodley: One intriguing character who crossed the boundary between the lives of Fred and Pete is The Mystery Man.
He reminded me of The Man From Another Place from "Twin Peaks" - a representative from somewhere else. Another world, maybe?

Lynch: Yeah, he is. I don't want to say what he is to me. But he's a hair of an abstraction.

_______

So that doesn't much indicate a storyworld. However, I think the source we are looking for happens a few years after this - Post "Mulholland Dr." and it ties that film into the shared universe idea as well. I remember reading the actual source at the time, but will have to do proper research to see if I can still find it.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

Wasn't Laura Harring asked at last year's TP Fest about Sheryl being in Club Silencio? And I believe she said something like "I can't answer that." Certainly not confirmation but leaves the door open more than what people are remembering Lynch saying (which I'd like to see a direct quote of)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Phoebe Augustine denied being the girl in Club Silencio. Didn't know Sheryl had said that. Don't think that girl looks like her tho.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:This talk reminds me of this annoying poster at the IMDB message boards who had this whole theory about FWWM and LH happening in the same universe. I don't remember the theory in details but it tied both films together somehow, and if you disagreed with him you were either dumb or wrong. I think people started to ignore him after a while and he disappeared. He probably read somewhere that Lynch made such statement (TP and LH happening in the same universe) and decided to create his own theory.
Love the new avatar, Sam.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: Did Lynch actually say TP & Lost Highway share a universe?

LostInTheMovies wrote: Love the new avatar, Sam.
Thank you! :)