Eric DaRe (Leo Johnson)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Eric DaRe (Leo Johnson)

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Does anyone have any news, quotes interviews anything on Eric DaRe about Twin Peaks since the return was announced? With the exception of Everett (Big Ed) He is the most reclusive and little known about cast member I'd say. And at least with Everett he is confirmed for the new show. I haven't finished reading Twin Peaks Oral History yet by Brad but I don't recall seeing Eric giving any interviews for it either? Could be wrong?

Anyway, anything anyone has heard on him would be appreciative. I cant think of another main cast member who is harder to find info on. I know about the false fire accusation in 2012 but that's it.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Shloogorgh
RR Diner Member

Re: Eric DaRe (Leo Johnson)

Post by Shloogorgh »

His mother is supposedly doing the casting again, so at the very least he has familial connection to the new show.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Shloogorgh wrote:His mother is supposedly doing the casting again, so at the very least he has familial connection to the new show.
Yeah forgot to mention I knew that as well but I just find it odd he hasn't been contacted or interviewed all these years or if he has I wonder why he's turned it down. I'm pretty positive he still lives in the LA area but that's only based off of the news clip from 2012 about the arson.
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Damn... I guess no one on here knows anything about him... Kind of a shame but he must really be an enigma

If anyone does read this and has any info on him I'd still love to know.
NewtoTwinPeaks
Roadhouse Member

Post by NewtoTwinPeaks »

It's been a couple of years since the last post, but I haven't heard anything either.

I don't think he's in the new show, but is there any mention about him in the book?

Since Shelly's in it, I guess they'll have to mention his character at some point.

But at the end of the day, his role after he got shot diminished and he didn't really do much.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

I'm betting Leo's long dead.
claaa7
Great Northern Member

Post by claaa7 »

i would think Leo died up in the cabin as well.. his abscense is an easy way to explain, but at the same time he would also be an easy character to bring back into the show so i wouldn't be suprised if he turned it down.

also i got to say that while i liked Leo in the show he must have had one of the most thankless and one-dimensional bigger roles in a quality show ever.. the entire first season he was portrayed as pretty much the angriest man alive, completely without any nuances, and in the second season he was a vegetable for half and a geek for the other half.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Yeah, what a trouper - he spent 22 episodes either drooling or grunting! No wonder he stepped up to the plate so well when lynch actually gave him something to do in the film. In general, I think da re is a good example of someone turning in a good performance within a limited range but I'm not entirely surprised he isn't back.

(Obligatory PS that tarantula bites are not fatal)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Love Leo Johnson. And the showrunners obviously loved him too, since they kept him around for the whole of second season, even after he became irrelevant for the Laura Palmer mystery. And I wouldn't say he was relegated to unimportant fluff - just think, after his drooling phase was over, they paired him with Cooper's archnemesis, the main storyline in the second half of S 2. True, he didn't have that much to do but walk about with a stunned expression, but compared to how many of the prominent S 1 characters withered to insignificance in the latter part of the series, I'd say Leo got off rather easy. I mean, look what the likes of Donna Hayward, Shelly Johnson, Bobby Briggs, James Hurley and Audrey Horne where doing in episodes 17-29... Or maybe that should be, what they weren't doing.
Si78
RR Diner Member

Post by Si78 »

In the new season, they should just cut to him for 10 seconds still holding that rope with his teeth.
Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Post by Saturn's child »

Si78 wrote:In the new season, they should just cut to him for 10 seconds still holding that rope with his teeth.
:lol:
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

I completely understand why Leo will not appear in the new series but I really hope they'll address his fate at some point.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
New Shoes

Post by New Shoes »

Si78 wrote:In the new season, they should just cut to him for 10 seconds still holding that rope with his teeth.
Yep. That's where old Leo is.
teddyleevin
Roadhouse Member

Post by teddyleevin »

That reused footage in Episode 29 makes me laugh every time. They should cut to it each episode as tradition.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

Panapaok wrote:I completely understand why Leo will not appear in the new series but I really hope they'll address his fate at some point.
Discovering Windom's lair where there's a dusty, mummified corpse with spiders coming out of the mouth and eye sockets would be suitably ghoulish.