Absolutely disappointed and disgusted.

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

snikgrif
RR Diner Member

Post by snikgrif »

The region 2 sets seem to have the first part missing the log lady intros, or at least some of them do. The US region 1 set have them on all episodes. Thats as far as I have worked out. There maybe other reasons, as these releases seem to be playing games with the buying public. There maybe a load of angry posts when the Complete Mystery Set comes out and we all find that we were duped into buying the inferior set first.
Last edited by snikgrif on Mon May 07, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Si

http://www.facebook.com/twinpeaksdeletedscenespetition

''I may be the sole pirate here with the use of only one hand.''
bmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by bmiller »

Reality of the matter is that from what I've been told, 95% of the time it took between Season 1 and Season 2 was in legal. Only 5% was actually spent putting the box set together and completing the transfers.

I know they are spending more time with the new set, but I am not honestly expecting much more other than the Pilot and some new interviews.

They have a chance to really make the new set special, but from what I have been told, the new set will not have the original sound or any Deleted Scenes.

So really, the Pilot is the only real reason to pick up the new set if you own the current Season 1 and 2 sets. So far, there is no tindication that it will be offered seperately.
Brian,
What legality was Paramount involved in? I know after the rights to Twin Peaks reverted to Paramount in Fall '05 they screwed around and wasted time and used the excuse that Lynch was busy with Inland Empire and couldn't help with the audio as the reason why TP couldn't be released in 2006.

Man that would suck really hard...having to repurchase Seasons 1, and 2 just to get a Region 1 version of the Pilot. I don't know why they didn't release the Pilot and Season 2 on the same day. I wonder if the Pilot will appear on Disc 1 of the "Complete Mystery" box set along with Episodes 1 and 2 of Season One? That would be roughly 3 hours of programming compressed onto a single disc, which is about the amount Paramount gave us in Season 2. Too bad Warner Bros. didn't have the rights to TP, they're about the only major releasing studio I have faith in.
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

bmiller wrote:
Brian,
What legality was Paramount involved in? I know after the rights to Twin Peaks reverted to Paramount in Fall '05 they screwed around and wasted time and used the excuse that Lynch was busy with Inland Empire and couldn't help with the audio as the reason why TP couldn't be released in 2006.
Right around the time that the rights reverted, CBS acquired Paramount and there were some issues between the two over which division would release it, who would pay for the transfers...

Paramount shot the interview footage over a period of one week about 2 years prior. The only reason the interviews were done so well was because they had some really great producers. Then the project was put on hold due to the merger and they hired a new producer to piece the interviews together, hold back most of them for the complete box set and do the transfers all in a period of about 2-3 months.

Like I said, I really hope the new box set has some great extras, but so far, no Deleted Scenes and no original 2.0 audio makes me think that if they include a few new interviews and the Pilot, along with the ultra compressed transfers of 4 Episodes to a disc, it would be a rather bullshit move on CBS/Paramount's part.

Not to sound negative, but they really need to step it up to get the casual fan to double dip on this release. No there is a small chance that they might release the Pilot standalone at a later date, but so far, there are no plans to release a standalone Pilot that I have heard of.

The only good thing to look forward to is the possibility of the Series and Pilot on HD DVD or Blue Ray... compression free, that is unless they try and fit the whole set on one disc.
cubist
Roadhouse Member

Post by cubist »

sunken_waltz wrote:I wish it were that simple. So far the set is missing half of the Log Lady intros and one of the episodes' 5.1 sounds mixs is 'off'. If you are happy with that, it is you who needs your dosage checked ;)
REgion 2 & 4 viewers certainly have been shafted...but it is very simple to buy the region 1 version? I think its a pretty good release considering the amount of episodes. I mean with only 7 episodes for the first season - its easy to make an affordable deluxe release. Not so with a second season of 22 episodes.
silenttwn
Roadhouse Member

Post by silenttwn »

cubist wrote:I think its a pretty good release considering the amount of episodes. I mean with only 7 episodes for the first season - its easy to make an affordable deluxe release. Not so with a second season of 22 episodes.
In some shows they'll have like "Season Two Volume One" and "Season Two Volume Two," very similar to how they released Season Two in Europe but I'd rather they release three episodes on four discs per volume. I'm not that knowledgeable in audio/video compression, but my guess would be that back in 2001 they did two episodes per disc because the compression technology wasn't what it is today. I think they can have the same quality with three episodes on one disc now as two episodes on one disc back then, but four episodes (what they did) is REALLY pushing it.
mjwilson
Roadhouse Member

Post by mjwilson »

silenttwn wrote:
cubist wrote:I think its a pretty good release considering the amount of episodes. I mean with only 7 episodes for the first season - its easy to make an affordable deluxe release. Not so with a second season of 22 episodes.
In some shows they'll have like "Season Two Volume One" and "Season Two Volume Two," very similar to how they released Season Two in Europe but I'd rather they release three episodes on four discs per volume. I'm not that knowledgeable in audio/video compression, but my guess would be that back in 2001 they did two episodes per disc because the compression technology wasn't what it is today. I think they can have the same quality with three episodes on one disc now as two episodes on one disc back then, but four episodes (what they did) is REALLY pushing it.
4 episodes per disc is absolutely standard practice for TV box sets.

Has anyone measured the bit-rate, by the way?
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

While four eps per disc is normal for 40-ish minute modern shows, older ones suffer because they are a little longer. Miami Vice season one, for example is released three eps to a disc, as was TP's season one.

Four eps with older-length shows such as TP, where strong lighting and colour effects are used can really show up the weaknesses in the encoding. To do TP some sort of justice, it needs to be three eps to a disc, tops.

I'm intrigued to see what happens with the TP complete series set. I presume, for a start, that here in rip-off Britain, they won't bother issuing the season two sets at all and make us buy the Complete Mystery set!!!
mjwilson
Roadhouse Member

Post by mjwilson »

I'm up to episode 22 and haven't seen anything that I would consider to be problematic because of the compression. (Mind you, my TV isn't the best in the world .)
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Post by FaceInTheLeaves »

After 16 years of crappy VHS tapes I'm happy to be able to see anything at all! I've only just noticed the barbershop quartet in episode 9 are supposed to be having breakfast, and that Josie's holding Pete's stuffed mongoose the whole time she's talking to her "cousin Jonathan" in episode 11.

Yes the packaging's rubbish, the special features are lacklustre, there's too many episodes on each disc, and it's all a big con because they'll be flogging fans the complete mystery box set within a year (fingers crossed) but the episodes look and sound fine. It's Twin Peaks, it's on DVD, and it's dirt cheap.

I'm probably in the top 10% of Twin Peaks obsessives and I wanted these episodes really, really badly, presented as lavishly as possible, but does a blinking corpse and a visible boom mike really make that much difference?
Red Room
RR Diner Member

Post by Red Room »

FaceInTheLeaves wrote:After 16 years of crappy VHS tapes I'm happy to be able to see anything at all! I've only just noticed the barbershop quartet in episode 9 are supposed to be having breakfast, and that Josie's holding Pete's stuffed mongoose the whole time she's talking to her "cousin Jonathan" in episode 11.

Yes the packaging's rubbish, the special features are lacklustre, there's too many episodes on each disc, and it's all a big con because they'll be flogging fans the complete mystery box set within a year (fingers crossed) but the episodes look and sound fine. It's Twin Peaks, it's on DVD, and it's dirt cheap.

I'm probably in the top 10% of Twin Peaks obsessives and I wanted these episodes really, really badly, presented as lavishly as possible, but does a blinking corpse and a visible boom mike really make that much difference?
I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments FaceInTheLeaves. Well said!! It's not perfect, it is what it is, but I still love it anyway.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

Good good! I think most people feel the same way, to be honest. You can buy the R1 import of season two for £22.00 in the UK. I paid at least £40.00 for the R2 season one set when it was released and that was just seven episodes and the pilot on four discs. Paramount could have rung a lot more money out of people but they haven't. Play are selling Lost season one for £42.99 (RRP £59.99). It's seven discs, with four episodes on each disc and the packaging's the same as Twin Peaks season two. Any extras on this rumoured Complete Mystery box set will be just that, extras.
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

The Angel season 5 box-set have audio commentary for most episodes so there are far more extras there, and the difference is that with this Twin Peaks release there are so many interviews, specials etc. that fans would love to see produced at the time of the broadcast that Paramount wouldn't even have to produce they'd just have to pay a license fee (Which i don't think would be that high in this case.) The audio commentaries on the season one set was one of the best parts of it, i've listened to all of them several times and was eager to hear the writers get into more details about each episodes. Again how much can it actually cost to produce an audio commentary, a few hours salary for the speaker and the producer and the cost of a mic from radio shack. Could and should have been done.
Shipslice99

Post by Shipslice99 »

David Lynch doesn't like audio commentaries. Even says so in his new book, Catching The Big Fish. So I don't expect there to be any commentaries on the upcoming box set since he's involved in its creation.

Still looking forward to it though.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

they could easily make the complete set worthwhile if they included some deleted scenes. i really just want to see the dummy scene filmed with ben horne killing maddy.
FaceInTheLeaves
Roadhouse Member

David Lynch only directed a few episodes of Twin Peaks so his dislike of commentaries is neither here nor there. And while he doesn't like to give interpretations of his work, there's nothing to stop him documenting his thoughts on Twin Peaks a la Stories from the Eraserhead 2000 DVD.

The only thing I really want is the FWWM deleted scenes. Everything else pales in comparison.