Farewell, Catherine Coulson

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Re: Farewell, Catherine Coulson

Post by sparco1979 »

RIP The Log Lady - the soul of Twin Peaks.

Was looking forward to her intros in series 3.

A real blow to everyone in the cast, production and fandom.
Sid

Post by Sid »

Long time lurker, first time poster here.
And I surely never thought my first post would be the last farewell to an actor of our beloved show.

My heart goes out to her family and friends.
She will be greatly missed.

Goodbey Catherine
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I am so, so sad to hear this news. Catherine seemed to be such a phenomenal, caring, thoughtful woman. And certainly the ultimate Twin Peaks "advocate" among the cast.

I remember reading that book Beautiful Dark and learning so much about Catherine's relationship with David Lynch, and their creative history. One thing that stood out was that sometime in the 1970's, Catherine nearly died and David Lynch saved her life. I can't remember the details now, but I think she was alone, started experiencing internal bleeding and lost consciousness and David found her on the floor or something, and was able to call for help before it killed her.

Ever since, Catherine would call David on her birthday, every year, to thank him for saving her life. I'm so sad David won't be getting that call in a few weeks. :cry:
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I'm still very shocked and saddened by this news. I echo the sentiments of everyone else thus far that The Log Lady was one of the truest expressions of what the show was about, visually and emotionally. When she looks at Cooper in the Roadhouse after Maddy's murder - that look says it all. Catherine imbued The Log Lady with as big of a heart as she herself had and it showed on screen. Catherine was so powerful in her performances, she made one of the most (on the outside) absurd characters on the show believable and real.

To cheer us up, I wanted to post Catherine at the Emmy Awards. Such a strong character actress, I just love this clip.

https://youtu.be/P9U1v6oeMpQ
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

Lovely tribute today on The Guardian website: http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... ne-coulson
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I was very sad to hear this news. I was actually rewatching Episode 29, and had just seen the last Log Lady intro when the news broke on reddit.

Godspeed, Catherine E. Coulson. May you soar in spirit.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
bluefrank
Roadhouse Member

Post by bluefrank »

I just had to dig out a picture from the past...

From the 1st UK Twin Peaks Festival, 2010....Catherine and a 'worse for wear' Julee, too. :-)
It was an honour to meet her.

Don't worry though folks....she and the log are in heaven now, where everything is fine.
RIP Catherine, I'll see you when I get there...thanks for the memories, wisdom and joy.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

A pretty outstanding Halloween tribute to Catherine Coulson and the Log Lady from Katya, a drag queen known from RuPaul's Drag Race. At this weekend's Night of the Living Drag in NYC, she appeared as the Log Lady with a Twin Peaks video introduction and a performance of "Knock on Wood" as the Log Lady :D

The crowd loved it. Cell phone video here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhpkCVQ0dJw