Fan edits, fan art, official editing, etc...

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Fan edits, fan art, official editing, etc...

Post by OK,Bob »

I realize there are existing topics about a Season 2 re-edit, but thought I'd start (though contribute to marginally, for my own sanity) a new all-encompassing thread for fan art, fan edits, homages, tributes, covers, etc. etc. along with the pros and cons of official edits, pre-existing effects and transition tweaks, soundtrack remixes, etc.. And we can hopefully get the SEASON 3 (!) thread back on track...

Incidentally, I think many of us would do well to recognize personal opinion, and realize the inherent needlessness and stress of defending such a thing as if it were a truth...

Thanks, and wishing for a positive discussion for us all!!!
"OK, Bob. OK, BOB. OK." -Audrey Horne
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Re: Fan edits, fan art, official editing, etc...

Post by OK,Bob »

P.S. For my own personal enjoyment, I had deftly spliced the "FWWM (saxophone)" intro to the original "FWWM Theme" to create a clone of the version heard in the film. I neither considered it "fan art" nor remotely inappropriate. So there. ;-)
wurmheart

Re: Twin Peaks: Season Three confirmed for 2016 on Showtime

Post by wurmheart »

Mark B wrote: To add to that thought: I've drawn Cooper so many times I can't count.
Lol, yeah, actually I'm sitting next to a notebook with quite a few Cooper doodles so I should probably shut my mouth about fan fiction :lol:
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks: Season Three confirmed for 2016 on Showtime

Post by Kmkmiller »

i wanted to add for the fan fiction writers and this sort of/might applies to fan edits as well...

if there's anything i've observed over the last 20 years is just how derivative all art is. it's almost laughable sometimes.

be inspired by Twin Peaks.... and then...

if you think you've written something pretty cool (or you have a point to make with an essay/edit) and you want to publish it all you really have to do is change the main characters names slightly.

ok... keep the same names.... change the setting from the northwest to an island. Oi!

seriously.... that's exactly what everybody else does. trust me. even Lynch....

http://www.unz.org/Pub/Munseys-1923jul-00269

you've gone to the trouble to write something. take two more steps and make it original. you might be surprised, if it's good, and it probably is, then people will still want to read it. now you've invented a whole new property. you'll get a call from Ridley Scott in no time! presto!

I guess we'll need to come up with a nickname for him -Bad Dale/Bale or Bobdale ?
fCooper.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

If someone does find a link to Northwest Passage, feel free to shoot it to me. I am curious as to how it knits all the free-floating material together. I don't think there is a way for it to properly cover the Maddy/Donna/James end of things without shortchanging them.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
OK,Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by OK,Bob »

(Thanks to the site moderator who cleared all these posts from the other thread! Appreciate you time and effort!!!)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

OK,Bob wrote:P.S. For my own personal enjoyment, I had deftly spliced the "FWWM (saxophone)" intro to the original "FWWM Theme" to create a clone of the version heard in the film. I neither considered it "fan art" nor remotely inappropriate. So there. ;-)
Same here. It didn't turn out so good. With headphones you can hear a small glitch where the splice happens. I'm not really an expert on these things, but it's fine for what it is.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

OK,Bob wrote:(Thanks to the site moderator who cleared all these posts from the other thread! Appreciate you time and effort!!!)
You are very welcome.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

N. Needleman wrote:If someone does find a link to Northwest Passage, feel free to shoot it to me. I am curious as to how it knits all the free-floating material together. I don't think there is a way for it to properly cover the Maddy/Donna/James end of things without shortchanging them.
It doesn't; it only focuses on Cooper's investigation. Audrey is only in it for one scene, which actually has nothing to do with the investigation (the first one with Coop, when she shows him her ring) I guess just as a nod to fanservice. As I recall, they don't even include the scene where she comes to Coop and tells him about her father - I believe they make it look like he arrested Ben because of the diary pages.

In that sense, Northwest Passage is sort of a misleading representation of the investigation that actually took place - it's more of an alternate reality in which Cooper's investigation exists in isolation from everyone else's storylines. I'm not even sure if they had Leland's confession of killing Jacques, since it's technically a different subplot.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
OK,Bob wrote:P.S. For my own personal enjoyment, I had deftly spliced the "FWWM (saxophone)" intro to the original "FWWM Theme" to create a clone of the version heard in the film. I neither considered it "fan art" nor remotely inappropriate. So there. ;-)
Same here. It didn't turn out so good. With headphones you can hear a small glitch where the splice happens. I'm not really an expert on these things, but it's fine for what it is.
I thought of doing this, sort of. I was going to pick my favorite bits of the mute trumpet version and splice in my favorite bits of the sax version, so it could be like a back and forth performance, like Charlie Parker with Dizzy Gillespie or something along those lines. Sounds more like Miles Davis, actually, but whatever.

My advice to avoid the blip you hear at the splice point is to put the original tracks on two different track layers in your work station. Overlap them until they match up when played simultaneously. On the one you're coming out of, have the volume taper off quickly while the volume of the one you're going into tapers up quickly from zero, at the same time. Micro-adjust these volume fade ins-and-outs until the transition is undetectable.

Just cutting one off where you want it to end and putting the other right up against it will always result in that jarring blip.
Specialagentjeffries

Post by Specialagentjeffries »

I think i remember Lynch saying an extended cut of FWWM was possible now that people were watching films at home on a big screen. I think it was in "between two worlds".

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Jasper wrote: I thought of doing this, sort of. I was going to pick my favorite bits of the mute trumpet version and splice in my favorite bits of the sax version, so it could be like a back and forth performance, like Charlie Parker with Dizzy Gillespie or something along those lines. Sounds more like Miles Davis, actually, but whatever.

My advice to avoid the blip you hear at the splice point is to put the original tracks on two different track layers in your work station. Overlap them until they match up when played simultaneously. On the one you're coming out of, have the volume taper off quickly while the volume of the one you're going into tapers up quickly from zero, at the same time. Micro-adjust these volume fade ins-and-outs until the transition is undetectable.

Just cutting one off where you want it to end and putting the other right up against it will always result in that jarring blip.
Thanks Jasper, but I'm afraid my "work station" is not that sophisticated.
I can't remember, but I think I just joined both tracks using Audacity, so I'd have the sax intro and then the regular theme, just like it plays in the film.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Specialagentjeffries wrote:I think i remember Lynch saying an extended cut of FWWM was possible now that people were watching films at home on a big screen. I think it was in "between two worlds".
Just going by memory, I believe one of the cast members (Grace?) asked if it could be integrated into the film, and Lynch said that it could, hypothetically. If he thought it should be done and wanted it done then I believe he'd have done it for the Blu-Ray release.
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Thanks Jasper, but I'm afraid my "work station" is not that sophisticated.
I can't remember, but I think I just joined both tracks using Audacity, so I'd have the sax intro and then the regular theme, just like it plays in the film.
Ah, OK. If I ever happen to make one I'll let you know.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

I wonder if there's some correlation between age and one's attitude towards appropriating existing material for things like these fan edits.

I'm 40ish, so I grew up in an age where sharing media meant making a physical copy, whereas for younger people, media has always been more malleable and frictionless.

On the other hand, I've also noted before that a lot of people who are cavalier about using the works of others seem tellingly defensive when others use theirs.
dud
RR Diner Member

fire walk with me 3.5 hour fan edit

Post by dud »

i just wanted to make a thread to commend whoever made the 3.5 hour fan edit and to urge everyone who hasn't given it a shot to watch it. i watched twin peaks for the first time in 2012 and then watched fire walk with me directly afterwards and it didn't do much for me. i rewatched the show recently around the time that the missing pieces came out, and when i finished i watched the missing pieces and thought they were just alright...six months later i watched Q2's fan edit in one sitting and i was absolutely blown away, one of my favorite movie experiences of all time. i personally enjoyed it so much more than the original cut or the missing pieces on their own for the following reasons:

- it was brilliantly executed. i did not once notice an awkward transition or a misplaced scene and i don't think i thought about the fact that it was a fan edit at any point. if i was shown the film and told it was a director's cut i would not have any reason to think otherwise. i have since watched it a few times and for a lot of scenes (besides the most obvious ones) i can't remember which were in the original cut of the film and which were in the missing pieces, and after seeing them in the right context a lot of them really seem essential to me now.
-i felt that most of the additional scenes with laura added a lot more depth to her characterization and ultimately led to a bigger payoff by the end because i felt for her a lot more.
-the scenes with the peripheral townsfolk (sheriff station, saw mill, norma and ed), rather than killing the momentum from the laura plot line, served as 'breathers', needed moments of levity from the dark, intense main plot and helped give the film moments that made it feel more like the television show (which also had dark moments juxtaposed with light)
-all of the missing pieces themselves have more substance in context

so yeah i didn't enjoy the original cut of fire walk with me that much, and i didn't enjoy the missing pieces too much either, but something about watching the two together really clicked for me and i'd recommend any twin peaks fans who haven't seen it to check it out, it's definitely worth the ride! It really turned fire walk with me and the missing pieces from a non-essential add-on to the series into the heart of the entire canon