Journey Through Twin Peaks: the complete presentation

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: Journey Through Twin Peaks: the complete presentation

Post by LostInTheMovies »

Kmkmiller wrote:Same issue with that... Really... It's just an easy way to dismiss other ideas cause the other guy "talked about it wrong."

I think people can be rude and pedantic and you can have an opinion about that in terms of tone.... but to regulate the flow of ideas with that kind of philosophy feels self serving to me.
But who is regulating the flow of ideas? I think youre strawmanning here. Personally I have no problem praising an idea while criticizing presentation (or vice-versa), nor do I have a problem considering the two in tandem (they may be more interrelated than we credit).
Btw, I love Nochimsons work but I think she is guilty of what I'm talking about.

So what? Fundamentally here's my question... Is there this secret about Lynch's work that everyone knows but no one will ever talk about it cause that would be talking about it wrong?

What are you not saying, sir??? LOL. :-)
Well, I do know who Judy is...

Seriously though, I don't think it's a matter of hiding something so much as realizing not everything can be articulated. A prose style that recognizes this (or is able to evoke it indirectly, perhaps through poetic language) or a method - like video essays - that is able to include the content itself as evidence strikes me as an addition to criticism, not a subtraction.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Rami Airola wrote:
Kmkmiller wrote:gotta be honest, didn't learn one thing about Twin Peaks I didn't already know.
Well, sometimes the value of essays and analysis isn't in learning anything new about something, but to give words to things the reader already consciously or subconsciously thinks but cannot put them into words.
Yes, I very much agree with this & find it's true for the person writing/making the essay as well. Many, many times the process of organizing my thoughts either yields new ones or makes me realize what I hadn't been able to articulate until then. (Just recently I wrote about a movie and found I liked it more at the end of the review than when I started, due to the process of discovering and/or focusing on certain aspects.)
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

Who is Judy?

Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

Did you study Twitter for 6 years too?
If we are resuscitating this dialog, then I would ask how you managed to study Twin Peaks for 6 years without any of the beauty and mystery getting lost in all that study? This is a well intended joke. I'm hoping you'll see the humor.

Btw, if we are resuscitating that thread I still have no idea who the baby was...
That's Judy.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

kmkmiller wrote:That's Judy.
Ah, I see. I am not the only one who likes to preserve mystery... ;)
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

no just figure everyone knows.

if you don't know, that is Judy from THE WALKING DEAD. remember it's a sea of stories. all artists fish in the same sea. did you take that in to account when you started studying? i did.

here's another Judy...

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I watch TWD and I had absolutely no idea whose baby that was.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

hi needleman. that's Judy.

ok, seriously, if i was a writer showrunner for a show like Walking Dead and I was hugely inspired by Lynch, i don't mind saying i'd put all hopes for future in to one child and her name would be Judy. it might be homage. it might be universe building. peeps can argue.

it's a lovely idea. it's just a lovey idea.

Judy. a child who represents the innocent untainted future of all we hold dear.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Yes, I know who it is now - what I'm saying is, it's not immediately obvious to everyone else whose kid it is, even if we watch the show and are not LostInTheMovies.

It is, also, just a coincidence, not a homage. Baby Judith (they don't call her Judy) was in the original comics by Robert Kirkman.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

My favorite (probably unintended) Judy reference. Especially because the "other" Kim Novak character is named Madeleine (I like to think Sheryl Lee would have returned as Judy had the series/films continued)...
Attachments
VertigoJudy1.jpg
VertigoJudy1.jpg (40.32 KiB) Viewed 16075 times
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

I love deep analysis, as long as it maintains contact with the actual work. Often it reveals much more about the analyzer than the film analyzed, and I'm not interested in the inner thoughts of most people.
sneakydave
RR Diner Member

Post by sneakydave »

Kmkmiller wrote:So I finally got around to checking this out nice editing and video production, but gotta be honest, didn't learn one thing about Twin Peaks I didn't already know.

Obviously a lot of time and effort went into this.
Such a disrespectful comment. Not surprising given who made it though. Getting tired of this poster and they will soon be added to my block list.
*M*A*Y*D*A*Y*
fearltd
Roadhouse Member

Post by fearltd »

sneakydave wrote:
Kmkmiller wrote:So I finally got around to checking this out nice editing and video production, but gotta be honest, didn't learn one thing about Twin Peaks I didn't already know.

Obviously a lot of time and effort went into this.
Such a disrespectful comment. Not surprising given who made it though. Getting tired of this poster and they will soon be added to my block list.
Totally agreed. As if the whole project is invalid because the great Kmkmiller didn't learn any new factoids about a show he's been obsessing over for 25 years (which was not even the point of the videos).
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

You know if i really wanted to be disrespectful I would have said that it's the kind of analysis that dilutes and ruins the experience for others.

But maybe we just disagree on what's disrespectful.
Kmkmiller
Roadhouse Member

Post by Kmkmiller »

It is, also, just a coincidence, not a homage. Baby Judith (they don't call her Judy) was in the original comics by Robert Kirkman.
I didn't say it was homage.

What I think is that when a writer such as Kirkman names such a character Judy it is not random he does it for a reason.

What I think is that when a director like Lynch references on unseen character by the name of Judy, then it is not random he does it for a reason.

I don't know what the reasons are, but I do have a very strong intuition they are the same for both Kirkman and Lynch.

Anyone know the reasons?