A Return to "Invitation to Love"

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

birchy
Roadhouse Member

A Return to "Invitation to Love"

Post by birchy »

There are so many questions about New Twin Peaks.

Screw Twin Peaks, what about Invitation to Love?

Is it still on the air twenty-five years later? Is Lucy still obsessed?

Will Lynch now be able to have the viewers in Twin Peaks interact with the characters of Invitation to Love? Do Lynch and Frost even care about the show-within-a-show anymore?

Will we see Invitation to Love webisodes? Will Frost direct?

But, as Laura says, "life is full of mysteries, Donna," so we're just left to dream until '16.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Re: A Return to "Invitation to Love"

Post by LostInTheMovies »

birchy wrote:There are so many questions about New Twin Peaks.

Screw Twin Peaks, what about Invitation to Love?

Is it still on the air twenty-five years later? Is Lucy still obsessed?

Will Lynch now be able to have the viewers in Twin Peaks interact with the characters of Invitation to Love? Do Lynch and Frost even care about the show-within-a-show anymore?

Will we see Invitation to Love webisodes? Will Frost direct?

But, as Laura says, "life is full of mysteries, Donna," so we're just left to dream until '16.
From what I've heard, Lynch put the kibosh on Invitation to Love in season 2 because he found the soap opera parody too "on-the-nose," in Harley Peyton's words (Brad's book reveals that it was very much a Frost baby, he directed it and cast his old pals in the parts). Yes, it first appears in his episode but note he only plays the title without any clip from the show itself. So it would be interesting to see a new "Invitation to Love" that was closer to what Lynch originally envisioned, campy perhaps, but not entirely sarcastic. But I suspect we won't see it at all though I'd be happy if we did.
Bank Theressa

Post by Bank Theressa »

I for one would love to see "Invitation to Love" come back. It helped the audience realize that the show was a ridiculous paradoy on soap operas, (with much more under the surface of course), but still a satire.
I mean come one, how could you not like the scene where Leo Johnson gets shot at the same time the "bad guy" on the show does. The way he looks at the T.V. Almost in a sympathizing manner. HA! I'm sorry but that was gold to me. I would be very happy to see new Invitation to Love moments.

*By the way, this is my first time posting on this forum. Hello y'all, from Texas. :)
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

They should have Invitation to Love 'rebooted' in the shows universe. Say it's been off the air for 25 years...

Lucy: "Why do they keep bringing back these old television shows, they're never as good as the original!"
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Re: A Return to

Post by qbin2001 »

Coffee wrote:They should have Invitation to Love 'rebooted' in the shows universe. Say it's been off the air for 25 years...

Lucy: "Why do they keep bringing back these old television shows, they're never as good as the original!"
Love the idea! :lol:
BOB1
RR Diner Member

Post by BOB1 »

How about 'Invitation to Love' actors appear in the new Twin Peaks? I mean, starring as actors who used to star in that old soap classic as Chet and Montana?... Like, Lance Davis and Rick Giolito coming to Twin Peaks and attending the "Invitation to Love Festival" which has been going on for the last 25 years after Invitation to Love was sadly cancelled by TV producers? ;)
Bobi 1 Kenobi

B. Beware
O. Of
B. BOB
snoghumangerm
Roadhouse Member

Post by snoghumangerm »

BOB1 wrote:How about 'Invitation to Love' actors appear in the new Twin Peaks? I mean, starring as actors who used to star in that old soap classic as Chet and Montana?... Like, Lance Davis and Rick Giolito coming to Twin Peaks and attending the "Invitation to Love Festival" which has been going on for the last 25 years after Invitation to Love was sadly cancelled by TV producers? ;)
Thumbs up!