Joan Chen Reflects on Twin Peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TwinPeaksFanatic
RR Diner Member

Joan Chen Reflects on Twin Peaks

Post by TwinPeaksFanatic »

She regrets leaving TP when she did.

http://twinpeaksfanatic.blogspot.com/20 ... peaks.html

Nothing against the actress, but I suspect many of us fans would be happy if she stayed in the wooden doorknob forever, but I could be wrong.

:?
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: Joan Chen Reflects on Twin Peaks

Post by bosguy1981 »

That was a beautifully written entry by Joan, I must say.

I have to admit, I would love to see her show up in this new series. Either as Judy, or Josie, or I don't know what. I feel Josie was ultimately one of the more poorly-written of all the characters but there was a lot of potential there.

When I've seen Joan Chen act in other films - especially in a scene opposite Nicole Kidman in Hemingway & Gellhorn a few years ago -- I've thought she not only has an incredible skill at playing sinister characters, but she can really carry a kind of other-era glamour and beauty that Lynch could photograph very well.
Fernanda
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fernanda »

She's also great in Donald Cammell's Wild Side.
Mb3
RR Diner Member

Post by Mb3 »

I'd also like to see her again, so I hope they'll somehow find a way to give her a small part in the new season.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

There was a lot more that could have been done with the character, had Joan Chen stayed. Laura's secret diary gives a very different view of Josie. Maybe she could play Judy...

Either way, I didn't dislike Josie. In fact I've never heard any great hatred of the character before now.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

bosguy1981 wrote:That was a beautifully written entry by Joan, I must say.

I have to admit, I would love to see her show up in this new series. Either as Judy, or Josie, or I don't know what. I feel Josie was ultimately one of the more poorly-written of all the characters but there was a lot of potential there.

When I've seen Joan Chen act in other films - especially in a scene opposite Nicole Kidman in Hemingway & Gellhorn a few years ago -- I've thought she not only has an incredible skill at playing sinister characters, but she can really carry a kind of other-era glamour and beauty that Lynch could photograph very well.
One of the pities of the series is that Lynch hardly ever go to direct her. She features mysteriously in the pilot (especially that unforgettable opening shot) and has a minor scene in episode 2 but she's absent from every other Lynch-directed episode. At least she gets a cameo in the Missing Pieces (much more comical than we've seen Lynch treat her character before). I agree she was one of the most wasted characters on the show. They set up so much potential and then she just got lost in the shuffle and disposed of in the worst stretch of the show. But obviously her character was something that interested Lynch a lot - the "mystery woman in the woods" idea, the fact that the series opens her, and the original casting of Lynch's own lover as Josie.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

TwinPeaksFanatic wrote:She regrets leaving TP when she did.

http://twinpeaksfanatic.blogspot.com/20 ... peaks.html

Nothing against the actress, but I suspect many of us fans would be happy if she stayed in the wooden doorknob forever, but I could be wrong.

:?
Wow, some really interesting revelations in there. I had no idea she had political motivations for leaving the show or that the character of Josie was controversial in that sense. Though I'm also not a big fan of the character - at least how she turned out - I wouldn't at all mind seeing Joan Chen figured back into the series somehow. Though as far as Judy goes, I do prefer the idea of her being Sheryl Lee in a red wig!
TwinPeaksFanatic
RR Diner Member

Post by TwinPeaksFanatic »

I didn't know about he Judy thing until recently. Thinking about that, it could make for an interesting twist.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

In looking at some other entries on her blog, I noticed one of Joan's young daughters is named Audrey. :)
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Josie, 25 years later, having escaped from a knob of wood, could potentially be much more interesting than she was in the series. I doubt it'll happen (or the Judy thing, for that matter), but I wouldn't object. I also had no idea Joan Chen asked to be written off the show... and honestly she's one of the few cast members I couldn't blame for that, even if she regrets it now.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

I would love to see Joan Chen back as either Josie (in the Black Lodge) or Judy. I think she brought a lot to the series (especially in the second season when some of the other storylines were weaker) and she gave a lot of depth to the character. Her interaction with Piper Laurie was great. Hope Piper is able to return too.
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

FauxOwl wrote:Josie, 25 years later, having escaped from a knob of wood, could potentially be much more interesting than she was in the series. I doubt it'll happen (or the Judy thing, for that matter), but I wouldn't object. I also had no idea Joan Chen asked to be written off the show... and honestly she's one of the few cast members I couldn't blame for that, even if she regrets it now.
The plan was that Chen and James Marshall would both return to the show in season 3 after they were done shooting the movies they left to do. Josie in the drawer knob was sort of a "place-holder" for her. Her presence was actually written into a few of the final six episodes. And a double was even shot for her in the final episode.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

Ross wrote: The plan was that Chen and James Marshall would both return to the show in season 3 after they were done shooting the movies they left to do. Josie in the drawer knob was sort of a "place-holder" for her. Her presence was actually written into a few of the final six episodes. And a double was even shot for her in the final episode.
Interesting. Even though Frost and Lynch probably had very little to do with Josie's wooden knob fate, I think I could be interested in how they decide to spring her out, if in fact they went that route.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I actually think it was Lynch's idea for Josie to become trapped in the dresser drawer knob. I seem to recall someone, probably Mark Frost, recounting a phone conversation where David suddenly proposed the idea. As I understand it, Lynch wasn't around much at the time. Just some phone conversations here and there, aside from his portrayals of Gordon Cole.

As for how she'd get out, well, I guess she wouldn't, although there was that stuff about her appearing in fireplaces in the Great Northern. So I guess she could sort of be a ghost in the Great Northern. Then there's the business about Judy. If it's true that they considered making Judy be Josie's twin, then Judy could perhaps be possessed by Josie, or something along those lines.

Oh, but I'm trying not to speculate too much in general. I somehow feel it must be better that way, like I'll approach it in a fresher state when 2016 rolls around.

Oh dear, 2015 is going to be an awfully long year, isn't it?
FormicaTable
Roadhouse Member

Post by FormicaTable »

Count me as one of those hoping she doesn't return. Beautiful woman to be sure, but her character's silly crime ties and her romance with Harry ("Oh HAH-reee...") were both dreadfully dull. I only got laughs out of her when Catherine made her wear that French Maid get-up. Let's not go back there!