Joan Chen Reflects on Twin Peaks

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

SonnyBaker

Re: Joan Chen Reflects on Twin Peaks

Post by SonnyBaker »

I want David Lynch and Mark Frost to rescue Josie from in between the two worlds (the physical world and The Black Lodge). And somehow it could work. Like they’ll rescue her and then everyone in the town will be confused so they’ll have her body exhumed from the cemetery but the casket will be empty and that’ll just be another mystery.
Are we falling in love?
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

MysteryMan wrote:I would love to see Joan Chen back as either Josie (in the Black Lodge) or Judy. I think she brought a lot to the series (especially in the second season when some of the other storylines were weaker) and she gave a lot of depth to the character. Her interaction with Piper Laurie was great. Hope Piper is able to return too.
I agree with you, I thought her character really came to life in season 2 as well and her storyline pulls me through some of the more terrible sub-plots. I would never classify Josie or her arc as terrible by any stretch of the imagination. I know this article indicates Joan left to film a movie but why was she so intermittent during the first half of season 2? She was still a regular but didn't even appear until episode 2x04 and still had stretches of episodes without her after that.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

FormicaTable wrote: ("Oh HAH-reee...")
Bahhahahahahaha.
I know, such a weak character.
And what a poor choice for being Cooper's shooter.
Chareth

Post by Chareth »

Josie is one of the few elements of Twin Peaks that was arguably problematic from the start. She never really meshed well with the rest of the series, IMHO, either in terms of script or performance, and I don't feel she and Michael Ontkean had much chemistry. While the overt sincerity of characters like James and Donna fit the soap style of their storylines, Josie was more subtle and subdued yet still utterly serious, to the point where the character kind of collapsed in on itself under the pressure of the tonal variety and exuberance surrounding her.

So with the character already functionally dead and only 9 episodes to play with, it probably makes sense to leave the character behind. However, if Josie is indeed trapped in the Lodge with Cooper, Harry has not one, but two people to liberate who he's very close to. That could give the story even greater emotional stakes if Harry ends up being prominent in the new series.

But if Joan Chen plays Judy and that thread is continued? Sold.
RR Diner Member

Post by 4815162342 »

Jasper wrote:I actually think it was Lynch's idea for Josie to become trapped in the dresser drawer knob. I seem to recall someone, probably Mark Frost, recounting a phone conversation where David suddenly proposed the idea. As I understand it, Lynch wasn't around much at the time. Just some phone conversations here and there, aside from his portrayals of Gordon Cole.

As for how she'd get out, well, I guess she wouldn't, although there was that stuff about her appearing in fireplaces in the Great Northern. So I guess she could sort of be a ghost in the Great Northern. Then there's the business about Judy. If it's true that they considered making Judy be Josie's twin, then Judy could perhaps be possessed by Josie, or something along those lines.

Oh, but I'm trying not to speculate too much in general. I somehow feel it must be better that way, like I'll approach it in a fresher state when 2016 rolls around.

Oh dear, 2015 is going to be an awfully long year, isn't it?
Yeah, it's pretty clear from the Log Lady intro for that episode and its fixation on the phrase "drawer pull" that Lynch liked the idea.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

It also helps that Joan Chen looks as if she's hardly aged a day in the last 25 years!
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

4815162342 wrote:
Jasper wrote:I actually think it was Lynch's idea for Josie to become trapped in the dresser drawer knob. I seem to recall someone, probably Mark Frost, recounting a phone conversation where David suddenly proposed the idea. As I understand it, Lynch wasn't around much at the time. Just some phone conversations here and there, aside from his portrayals of Gordon Cole.

As for how she'd get out, well, I guess she wouldn't, although there was that stuff about her appearing in fireplaces in the Great Northern. So I guess she could sort of be a ghost in the Great Northern. Then there's the business about Judy. If it's true that they considered making Judy be Josie's twin, then Judy could perhaps be possessed by Josie, or something along those lines.

Oh, but I'm trying not to speculate too much in general. I somehow feel it must be better that way, like I'll approach it in a fresher state when 2016 rolls around.

Oh dear, 2015 is going to be an awfully long year, isn't it?
Yeah, it's pretty clear from the Log Lady intro for that episode and its fixation on the phrase "drawer pull" that Lynch liked the idea.
Brad confirmed this in his book, as I recall. I was never a huge fan of this gesture though I don't mind it now. What bothered me more, initially - and still doesn't really work for me - is the presentation of the Little Man & Bob. They just kind of pop up and don't seem very creepy or scary - like the show is really desperate at this point to find its way back to what it was. I know other people disagree and are very happy to see them. I do feel like this probably Lesli Linka Glatter's weakest episode though (beyond just the material). Pity it was the one she ended up bowing out on. That said, certainly an improvement on the previous episode.