NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
User avatar
N. Needleman
Posts: 2057
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:39 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby N. Needleman » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:51 pm

To be clear: Nothing reaches the kind of audience TP did in 1990 with four networks and no streaming.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
User avatar
Adolphus
Posts: 82
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Adolphus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:31 pm

Solitude wrote:Someone here once or twice compared The Return to a series. All i can remember is that the episodes lasted like 90 minutes (they may have been 13) and that they were extremely slow paced. Can someone help me find out which series was?

I don't see the comparison to Out 1 myself- if you think The Return is slowly paced then Out 1 would send you around the bend. It's an excellent series though- but it's a really hardcore viewing experience- but also a pinnacle one.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby mtwentz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:30 pm

N. Needleman wrote:To be clear: Nothing reaches the kind of audience TP did in 1990 with four networks and no streaming.


True absolutely true.

And to be honest, I am so glad that Lynch and Frost are not pandering to 'ratings'. They are telling the story they wanted to tell.

It would be lovely if more people would watch, but not at the expense of watering down the script in order to pander to the tastes of the masses.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
User avatar
ToriFreak2016
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:01 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby ToriFreak2016 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:14 pm

mtwentz wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:To be clear: Nothing reaches the kind of audience TP did in 1990 with four networks and no streaming.


True absolutely true.

And to be honest, I am so glad that Lynch and Frost are not pandering to 'ratings'. They are telling the story they wanted to tell.

It would be lovely if more people would watch, but not at the expense of watering down the script in order to pander to the tastes of the masses.


Plus I don't have the feeling they are all that bad when streaming is factored in. And they have steadily climbed. They aren't dropping. So people that are committed are committed and they're slowly bringing others in.
User avatar
SpookyDollhouse
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:22 pm
Contact:

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby SpookyDollhouse » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:03 pm

If it were dropped all at once a-la Stranger Things you'd probably see higher ratings across the board. Airing how it is, they're gonna continuously climb and only get higher after it has completed airing imo.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby mtwentz » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:42 pm

SpookyDollhouse wrote:If it were dropped all at once a-la Stranger Things you'd probably see higher ratings across the board. Airing how it is, they're gonna continuously climb and only get higher after it has completed airing imo.


Maybe but we would never know because streaming providers don't usually release data in how many households are streaming which shows.

And technically, live TV ratings would fall precipitously if everything were dropped at once :-)
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
dkenny78
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:36 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby dkenny78 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:37 am

The ratings are low, but the fact that they're climbing is a good sign. It's kind of the opposite of the original Twin Peaks that started off very strong and gradually eroded over time, with Episode 27 scoring the lowest ratings of all, and that was the last one to air in its usual time slot (the actual series finale got a bump in viewers because it aired at a different time and was promoted as a 'movie event').

I would expect the viewers to climb even more over the next few weeks but there's bound to be a dropoff in live viewership after GAME OF THRONES premieres on 7/16.
User avatar
The Jumping Man
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:27 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby The Jumping Man » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:14 am

The Twin Peaks Ratings Are Actually Good


https://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/th ... .gqWQ8J4zD

That's how the network knows that its most popular shows are Shameless (an average of 6.4 million viewers for its most recent season) and Homeland (6 million), and that Twin Peaks is performing better than Masters of Sex, House of Lies, and Episodes, all of which lasted multiple seasons on Showtime.
User avatar
Hockey Mask
Posts: 336
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:31 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Hockey Mask » Thu Jun 22, 2017 8:49 am

The Jumping Man wrote:
The Twin Peaks Ratings Are Actually Good


https://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/th ... .gqWQ8J4zD

That's how the network knows that its most popular shows are Shameless (an average of 6.4 million viewers for its most recent season) and Homeland (6 million), and that Twin Peaks is performing better than Masters of Sex, House of Lies, and Episodes, all of which lasted multiple seasons on Showtime.


The answer seems to be that Twin Peaks: The Return may actually be the most illustrative example through which we can quantify how television viewing is changing. Because, according to Showtime's metrics, 3.1 million viewers have watched the May 21 premiere, a number that will continue to grow as viewers decide to catch up on or binge the show. Through its first two weeks (Parts 1–4), Twin Peaks has averaged 2.5 million viewers across all platforms.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1852
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby mtwentz » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:48 am

The Jumping Man wrote:
The Twin Peaks Ratings Are Actually Good


https://www.buzzfeed.com/kateaurthur/th ... .gqWQ8J4zD

That's how the network knows that its most popular shows are Shameless (an average of 6.4 million viewers for its most recent season) and Homeland (6 million), and that Twin Peaks is performing better than Masters of Sex, House of Lies, and Episodes, all of which lasted multiple seasons on Showtime.


This is definitely good news!

I am a classic example- I would never get cable TV and thus never have Showtime, so I got the Showtime app. And even after Twin Peaks completely airs, they may have a loyal customer for a long time to come (I really enjoy that Showtime does not cut off the end credits like Netflix and other channels).
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"
dkenny78
Posts: 112
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:36 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby dkenny78 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:04 pm

mtwentz wrote:
I am a classic example- I would never get cable TV and thus never have Showtime, so I got the Showtime app. And even after Twin Peaks completely airs, they may have a loyal customer for a long time to come (I really enjoy that Showtime does not cut off the end credits like Netflix and other channels).


This is a great point. And even people that are only interested Showtime for Twin Peaks might keep their subscriptions active for a few months after the finale as it will likely be the only place you'll be able to see the series, and I foresee a lot of repeat viewings/binge-watching. I can't imagine the DVD/Blu-ray will come out before holiday season.
User avatar
Mb3
Posts: 257
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:05 am
Location: Germany

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Mb3 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:18 pm

Twink Peaks wrote:https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/06/top-10-tv-shows-of-2017-so-far/11/
:D


I hope they're right with their assumption and Kyle MacLachlan will get an Emmy for it.
User avatar
Poltergeist27
Posts: 20
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 8:18 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Poltergeist27 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:12 am

I would say that Twin Peaks has about 275,000 live viewers, and at least 500,000 streamers, all in the US. But you also have to remember that the show has a huge international following. Not sure how many you would add to the total but I wonder if it's about 3 million worldwide watching every week. With all of that, I hope Showtime throws more money at DKL to do another season of TP or even something else.
User avatar
eyeboogers
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:35 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby eyeboogers » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:11 am

Poltergeist27 wrote:I would say that Twin Peaks has about 275,000 live viewers, and at least 500,000 streamers, all in the US. But you also have to remember that the show has a huge international following. Not sure how many you would add to the total but I wonder if it's about 3 million worldwide watching every week. With all of that, I hope Showtime throws more money at DKL to do another season of TP or even something else.



One example of the worldwide audience is that in scandinavia the show is not aired but available exclusively for streaming on HBO Nordic. Here you can see their current top 10 of the most watched shows on the HBO platform. If nothing else it's interesting to see it outperforming other buzz shows like "Fargo" and "Big Little Lies". "The Handmaid's Tale" has gotten glowing reviews in mainstream media outlets here and has been available for binge-viewing all along, probably helping that show reach the top spot. Would love to see how the show is performing in other parts of the world.

10. The Leftovers
9. Girls
8. Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
7. Big Little Lies
6. Fargo
5. Silicon Valley
4. Game of Thrones
3. Billions
2. Twin Peaks: The Return
1. The Handmaid's Tale

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests