NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Discussion of Twin Peaks TV Series, Fire Walk With Me, and Books

Moderators: Annie, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne, Brad D

Forum rules
Welcome to the forum. We know our members are passionate about their love for all things Twin Peaks. You wouldn't be here if that wasn't the case. Despite having differing viewpoints it is a policy that we all treat each other with mutual respect.

Posting abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated, or any material that may violate any laws be it of your country or the country where this forum is hosted will get you permanently banned.

Posting of spoilers are allowed as long as you indicate (Spoilers) in the topic name and use the Spoiler Tag.
User avatar
Harry S. Truman
Posts: 321
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:48 pm
Location: Spain

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Harry S. Truman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:21 pm

mtwentz wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
There is no way to put a good spin on the ratings: they are terrible. Twin Peaks is the 99th rated cable show.

That being said, that does not mean it won't end up being a financial success. A small but devoted international fan base can hopefully make up for the lack of a larger audience. In any case, I feel sorry for the millions who do not know what they are missing!



The Audience of a series in this case Twin Peaks Season 3, is not only audience in live, also audience in streaming, online... All these audience is very important also. Part of these millions of people that you say i am sure that see in streaming. Twin Peaks Season 3 has a lot of audience that shown this numbers.


Most definitely and ultimately, Showtime cares most about 1) Prestige and 2) Subscriptions. Someone like me would never be counted in the Nielsen ratings because I do not have a cable subscription, I just bought the Showtime streaming app. If Twin Peaks can blow the roof of their Internet subscriptions, the ratings become less and less and important.

BTW, Harry, how have you been enjoying the show? I have not seen you on the forums very much. Or has it not aired in Spain yet?


Yes, the series is beeing aired in Spain! It began the same day that in USA. I am enjoy lot of this new season!! It is beautiful!! Now, I don´t write frecuently in the fórum because everybody is talking about the ratings of the series, and it makes me nervous. I know that Twin Peaks 3 is a limited series, but i still hope in a future season 4. The new series is fantastic!!
User avatar
eyeboogers
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:35 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby eyeboogers » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:12 am

Harry S. Truman wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:

The Audience of a series in this case Twin Peaks Season 3, is not only audience in live, also audience in streaming, online... All these audience is very important also. Part of these millions of people that you say i am sure that see in streaming. Twin Peaks Season 3 has a lot of audience that shown this numbers.


Most definitely and ultimately, Showtime cares most about 1) Prestige and 2) Subscriptions. Someone like me would never be counted in the Nielsen ratings because I do not have a cable subscription, I just bought the Showtime streaming app. If Twin Peaks can blow the roof of their Internet subscriptions, the ratings become less and less and important.

BTW, Harry, how have you been enjoying the show? I have not seen you on the forums very much. Or has it not aired in Spain yet?


Yes, the series is beeing aired in Spain! It began the same day that in USA. I am enjoy lot of this new season!! It is beautiful!! Now, I don´t write frecuently in the fórum because everybody is talking about the ratings of the series, and it makes me nervous. I know that Twin Peaks 3 is a limited series, but i still hope in a future season 4. The new series is fantastic!!


I am also firmly in the desperately hoping for season 4 camp. I am shocked about the ratings - not that they are low at this point, the show is not exactly viewer-friendly, but I had expected the season premiere to be huge. Hopefully all of the auxillery incomes will mean that the season might still merit some kind of follow up.
User avatar
Bookworm
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:13 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Bookworm » Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:07 am

Esselgee wrote:
Bookworm wrote:I remember having seen, months ago, on the spoiler thread, a picture of Kyle Machlachlan on set

Spoiler:
He was in DoppelCoop outfit, in front of what looked like the motel from episode 3. In the same post there was also a pic with some blond girl with a shock blanket on her.


I can't find that picture again, did someone have it or can point me in the right direction? Thanks!



Here ya go:



Thank you very much! :)
User avatar
Solitude
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Solitude » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:32 pm

Someone here once or twice compared The Return to a series. All i can remember is that the episodes lasted like 90 minutes (they may have been 13) and that they were extremely slow paced. Can someone help me find out which series was?
User avatar
eyeboogers
Posts: 525
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 3:35 am
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Contact:

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby eyeboogers » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:17 pm

Solitude wrote:Someone here once or twice compared The Return to a series. All i can remember is that the episodes lasted like 90 minutes (they may have been 13) and that they were extremely slow paced. Can someone help me find out which series was?


Could have been one of the German ones - "Berliner Alexanderplatz" or "Heimat"?
User avatar
Solitude
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Solitude » Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:31 pm

^ No, it wasn't any of those. It isn't the Dekalog in case anyone sees similarities with the description.
User avatar
asmahan
Posts: 132
Joined: Fri May 27, 2016 6:21 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby asmahan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:22 pm

Solitude wrote:Someone here once or twice compared The Return to a series. All i can remember is that the episodes lasted like 90 minutes (they may have been 13) and that they were extremely slow paced. Can someone help me find out which series was?


I, Claudius had 12 (technically 13) episodes. Wasn't THAT slow paced though...
User avatar
Solitude
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Solitude » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:50 pm

asmahan wrote:
Solitude wrote:Someone here once or twice compared The Return to a series. All i can remember is that the episodes lasted like 90 minutes (they may have been 13) and that they were extremely slow paced. Can someone help me find out which series was?


I, Claudius had 12 (technically 13) episodes. Wasn't THAT slow paced though...


No. I don't want to misdirect but perhaps is a french one. I'm sorry if i'm on the verge of Off-Topicness.
User avatar
Pölkkyrouva
Posts: 28
Joined: Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:16 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Pölkkyrouva » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:25 pm

Solitude wrote:
asmahan wrote:
Solitude wrote:Someone here once or twice compared The Return to a series. All i can remember is that the episodes lasted like 90 minutes (they may have been 13) and that they were extremely slow paced. Can someone help me find out which series was?


I, Claudius had 12 (technically 13) episodes. Wasn't THAT slow paced though...


No. I don't want to misdirect but perhaps is a french one. I'm sorry if i'm on the verge of Off-Topicness.


It was Out 1 by Jacques Rivette if I recall correctly. :)
Let a smile be your umbrella. — FBI Regional Bureau Chief Gordon Cole
User avatar
Solitude
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Solitude » Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:44 pm

Thank you so, so much Pölkkyrouva. I was using the word "one" to look for it, but it never occurred to me that i should try with the number too, so silly.

It is also co-written and co-directed by Suzanne Schiffman, whom i never saw being mentioned. An interesting parallel with the authory of Twin Peaks and the overlooked Frost.
tlk
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:43 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby tlk » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:48 am

Wow, Berlin Alexanderplatz, Dekalog... Some heavy cinefile stuff here! Glad to see it. Never heard about Out 1.
User avatar
ToriFreak2016
Posts: 14
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:01 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby ToriFreak2016 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:33 am

Ratings have ticked up again this week. If the show continues to grow I think that will be appealing to Showtime.
User avatar
Rudagger
Posts: 322
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:29 pm

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Rudagger » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:47 am

ToriFreak2016 wrote:Ratings have ticked up again this week. If the show continues to grow I think that will be appealing to Showtime.


Yeah, that's a good sign. Still not great ratings though, by any metric. But, who knows what their streaming numbers are like.

For those not keeping track, these are just live ratings:

Part 1/2: 0.506 million
Part 3/4: 0.195 million
Part 5: 0.254 million
Part 6: 0.270 million
Part 7: 0.294
User avatar
Panapaok
Posts: 1001
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:07 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby Panapaok » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:21 am

Well, the premiere numbers are double probably because people tuned in to see what's all the fuss about. Then part 3 & 4 had much lower ratings because most people streamed them during the previous week. So that's the numbers we're dealing with here, somewhere around 0.250 million viewers watching live. Obviously the vast majority is streaming it.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
User avatar
mtwentz
Posts: 1850
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:02 am

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Postby mtwentz » Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:34 pm

Panapaok wrote:Well, the premiere numbers are double probably because people tuned in to see what's all the fuss about. Then part 3 & 4 had much lower ratings because most people streamed them during the previous week. So that's the numbers we're dealing with here, somewhere around 0.250 million viewers watching live. Obviously the vast majority is streaming it.


I still have to wonder if there were many more who tuned in initially on premiere night but weren't captured on the Nielsen ratings because they switched to another channel early in the programming. I can easily picture in mind about 1 million people initially tuning in to Twin Peaks but then about 500k turning the channel to watch something else after seeing certain opening scenes that were too surrealistic and abstract for their tastes.

Ultimately, we have to accept the fact that Twin Peaks will likely never reach the mass viewership in the U.S. it had in Season 1. But I do think this new series will impact the larger culture indirectly through it's influence on other artists, creators, filmmakers, etc.
"Dougie is COOPER? How the Hell is this!?"

Return to “Twin Peaks Movie, TV, Books”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests