NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Twink Peaks wrote:
WhiteLodge90 wrote:Other originals in the new show who weren't there that I know of

Going by character names here:

- Mike, The Giant, Jacques, Betty Briggs, Ronette, Sylvia, Carl Rodd
+ hailey gates wasnt :(

I was going by original cast members only.
The milk will get cool on you pretty soon.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

sackboy97 wrote:
Jonah wrote:This is probably the best reaction I've seen to the premiere. It's almost like a review in and of itself!
If he liked it I think we'll be just fine :D
Yep!
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member
Location: You're on the path. you don't need to know where it leads. just follow.

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

brablay

Post by brablay »

Carel Struycken
Attachments
18580650_276736892736692_279360186353713152_n.jpg
18580650_276736892736692_279360186353713152_n.jpg (125.44 KiB) Viewed 9364 times
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Twink Peaks wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:A little help from my friends? Who's this?

18582569_1964548503774076_5663705154694958652_n.jpg
Nicolette Noble
Thank you! Just a guest then, not part of the cast?
OrsonWelles
Roadhouse Member

Post by OrsonWelles »

What about Monica Bellucci.She's a very high-profile actrice but she's been absent of promo's etc.?
WhiteLodge90
RR Diner Member

Post by WhiteLodge90 »

Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Jonah wrote:Imagine if "Inland Empire" (for example) had been filled with the characters from "TP", but was exactly the same otherwise. Would it be easier to understand? Would being familiar with the characters at least give some comfortable footing in an otherwise surreal new world?
No, it would make no difference. The narrative structure of Inland Empire is what is difficult.

I would LOVE S3 to be like Inland Empire tho, minority opinion as that may be.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

Someone calling it "difficult" is music to my ears!
I love all of Lynch's "difficult" material.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Metamorphia wrote:
Jonah wrote:Imagine if "Inland Empire" (for example) had been filled with the characters from "TP", but was exactly the same otherwise. Would it be easier to understand? Would being familiar with the characters at least give some comfortable footing in an otherwise surreal new world?
No, it would make no difference. The narrative structure of Inland Empire is what is difficult.

I would LOVE S3 to be like Inland Empire tho, minority opinion as that may be.
But wouldn't familiar characters help ground you even if the narrative structure was difficult to follow or surreal?

I hope it won't be like IE, but suspect it will be closer to IE than to the original show, or even FWWM.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

pbilly369 wrote:
comeongethappy wrote:Any other UK folks planning on watching the first two hours at 2am before, after avoiding all social media, watching the rest late on Monday?
Yep. Bed early Sunday night, up 1.30am. Watch the first two. Snooze then wake. Up Watch eps 3&4!! Taken Monday off work to make it happen..
Then hit Dugpa to find out what we all think/thought.
After sitting up till gone 2am last night I realised that watching live I wouldn't take it all in, so will watch on catch up on Monday.

Did anyone see any photos of Lynch/Frost or even better Lynch/Frost/Kyle/Sheryl combos at the premiere last night? I can't believe they let such a golden opportunity to photograph them together slip away so easily if not. (saw DKL and Kyle ones)
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

John Thorne's twitter reaction made me even more excited.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

Grr, it might be an agonizing few days. I've decided I won't be watching tomorrow, not until later in the week. I'm in the middle of re-watching the show on Blu-ray (many episodes not viewed since they originally aired), and still have a few days of that. I want to know the general flavor of reaction to it, but not enough to color my opinion. It might be a balancing act. Words like "difficult" are enough to get one thinking about and anticipating just what this show is. As far as the show's similarities to "Inland", I think it'll sort of take these characters and put them in those kinds of surreal scenes. Remember how episode 8 (the second season premiere) felt so radically different from the first season? Same characters, just "lynched". The rhythms and the flavor of the show were so changed, especially during the opening scene (of course the very next episode, even though a Lynch episode, felt more conventional, then you went back to full-on conventional in subsequent episodes, pointing out the show's uneven nature). I suspect this show might reflect that kind of shifting of the world of the show. Then of course you have the new storylines and characters which are free to be whatever they are. Who knows, though? This could be a crushing, inept disappointment from a rusty filmmaker, and we could be looking back and laughing at all this useless speculation.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
counterpaul
RR Diner Member

Post by counterpaul »

Rainwater wrote:The nightmarish confusion that runs throughout Inland Empire reminds me of a few, for lack of a better description, almost-schizophrenic fever-dream episodes I've experienced. Certainly impressive, but I struggle to find humor in the particular kind of confusion this film envelops you in. I'm also puzzled when people call the film "hopeful" - I don't think the "good" ending offsets all the darkness that comes before.
But it's beyond hopeful--it's a celebration!

IE is all about honoring what actors do as artists. In the end, it's a rhapsodic celebration of their willingness to offer up their entire selves--their body and psyche alike--and dive into whatever dark holes are necessary to bring a character to life. And, by extension, it's a celebration of what artists in general do to bring ideas to life. It can be harrowing, to be sure, but it's all for art. There's a character, an idea, trapped and crying out to live and it is the actor who allows her to finally do so at whatever emotional cost. This is a holy act. IE is all about honoring that holy act--and the "Sinnerman" segment at the end is an ecstatic ceremony of thanks.

That's how I take it anyway.
Rainwater wrote:Anyway, I guess we're drifting off-topic..
True. Though IE was Lynch's most recent work in the medium, so...