NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Saturn's child
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Saturn's child »

N. Needleman wrote:Naomi and David texting.
This is just great, thanks for the heads up!
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

So, it seems absolutely no-one watched "Twin Peaks" live last sunday. Since it is not listed here, it must have drawn fewer than 730.000 viewers :(

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily- ... -premiere/
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

It always does on its Sunday airings.
Esselgee
RR Diner Member

Post by Esselgee »

The 7/16 episode had 267,000 viewers which was down 24.79% from the previous week.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/twin- ... e-ratings/
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Anybody know how The Return is doing in Japan?
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Are Showtime showing any previews for upcoming episodes at all?

I understand they can't show footage of upcoming episodes, but wouldn't it be easy to use footage from earlier episodes or even graphics along with the taglines to get people hyped up?

I haven't seen any footage online, only the little clips they upload on Youtube after each episode, so just wondering - and asking especially those in the US - are Showtime showing any footage for upcoming episodes over there?

I think the ratings would be higher if they did.

I loved the old "Next On" from the original series - they'd give you just a glimpse of a still image or two and a little audio. Something like that would have been nice this time around and would have kept the mystery alive, but even a graphic or two just to get people hyped up would be great.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Jonah wrote:Are Showtime showing any previews for upcoming episodes at all?

I understand they can't show footage of upcoming episodes, but wouldn't it be easy to use footage from earlier episodes or even graphics along with the taglines to get people hyped up?

I haven't seen any footage online, only the little clips they upload on Youtube after each episode, so just wondering - and asking especially those in the US - are Showtime showing any footage for upcoming episodes over there?

I think the ratings would be higher if they did.

I loved the old "Next On" from the original series - they'd give you just a glimpse of a still image or two and a little audio. Something like that would have been nice this time around and would have kept the mystery alive, but even a graphic or two just to get people hyped up would be great.
No new footage is being shown in advance, no next ons. It's just another way the show is setting itself apart and a huge reason why it still feels so surprising eleven hours in, so I'm very happy they're not showing previews.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

mtwentz wrote:Anybody know how The Return is doing in Japan?
I don't know about ratings, but fandom-wise, the userbase of major fanart archive Pixiv.net hasn't responded so far. At all. There have been a couple of new works but they're all inspired by the old show or by promotional photoshoots. :(
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Man really wanted to see last night's episode but my housemates elected to watch tonight instead so now im dying in anticipation as a result. It did mean I got to have a good night's sleep, the 3am airing is killer but I was all set. Too scared to look anywhere else was hoping to find some non spoiler impressions but I guess that's both tricky and unlikely this far into the run.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

mtwentz wrote:Anybody know how The Return is doing in Japan?
It used to be a big thing there. I so adore those coffee commercials.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Great interview with Michael Horse.
http://collider.com/twin-peaks-season-3 ... interview/
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Neat

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Small (and rather predictable) spoiler from the Horse interview:
Spoiler:
Hawk is in the finale. Or at least, Horse believes he is.
Odd quote where he says TSHoTP helped him understand DKL better. I could certainly see it helping him understand the series mythology, the franchise's approach to the otherworldly and to indigenous peoples, and even a better understanding of Mark as a person and an artist. But a better understanding of Lynch, from a book he had nothing to do with and refuses to read? Weird.
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

Not sure if this fairly recent video of Kyle was posted anywhere or not.
https://www.oath.com/brand-love-stories ... 2ee95320b/
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Commentary from a fan who met Sabrina Sutherland at the TP Fest and learned this:
David and Mark obviously co-wrote the series... to a point. Around the time they handed things over to Showtime, things changed a bit. Mark went off to write The Secret History of Twin Peaks and David directed the whole thing, but the interesting thing to note here is that, as you all may recall, the series Showtime announced was going to be 8 or 9 episodes. There was that whole drama where David announced he quit, Showtime caved, and now we have 18 episodes. This was NOT a case of the existing material simply being stretched out. According to Sabrina, David actually continued to write. So this seems to have shifted the level of writing involvement more heavily to Lynch than Frost. EDIT: For clarity, it's not that David wrote nine more episodes. It's more like he wrote more scenes interspersed throughout the existing material.

More here, including Jan D'Arcy talking about how Eamon Farren was so upset by the assault scene in Part 10 he called his own grandmother.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.