NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Can't take my eyes off that countdown clock. (Cue manic Windom-esque "tick tock" noise.)
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Sun May 21, 2017 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I half wonder if the leak was deliberate, but I suspect it wasn't and someone somewhere will lose their job. I can't even begin to understand how cock ups like this happen.

Am super excited, and I think the only way I'll be able to sleep tonight is via my round the world jet lag (which will also wake me at a convenient time to watch it over a leisurely breakfast :-D )
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

OK, I'm back on given that we appear to be safe from spoilers here.

Everything points towards this being no by-the-numbers nostalgia exercise, and that is why I think it will be a success. Most revival series fail for this exact reason. They are brought back for the sake of bringing it back, and they play on the nostalgic aspect as they know some fans will lap it up regardless, but this fails for 2 reasons: 1, you can never really go back and recapture exactly what the first thing was and 2, this approach ultimately leads to a story that is lacking.

It's been clear from day 1 that Mark and David are not interested in doing something like that. The new TP will add to the original, move the show forward and tell new stories whilst continuing the previous one. It may even change what we've always thought we knew. They have a story to tell and that's what has dictated the return from day 1, clearly. This excites me greatly.

As a side note, this also means that the moments that will inevitably come with a tinge of nostalgia (such as returning characters, the town etc.) will feel genuinely earned and all the more rewarding as a result. If we had 18 episodes full of that, you could run the risk of feeling like an imitation or a tribute band - and Lynch does not imitate, he inspires imitators.
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mace »

Great post Judge Giant. I concur.
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

Who's looking forward to a Lynch/Frost 6 episode 'One Saliva Bubble' miniseries on Showtime? :P

Hey, I can dream...
This was a vision, fresh and clear as a mountain stream. The mind revealing itself to itself.

Visit my Lynch blog at https://lynchiantimes.wordpress.com, or follow on twitter https://twitter.com/LynchianTimes
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

My hope is that they'll even build the nostalgia into the story. Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads remains a masterpiece for this reason in my view. For those who don't know it, The Likely Lads was a 60s sitcom of the "a couple of young lads having laughs" variety. It came back a few years later with two aging men pining for their lost youth, and the genius was that you had actually lived their youth with them, and pined at the same time.

Mark Frost's hints with playing with the passage of time make me hope for something similar in the new TP (even though the style will of course be totally different).
Judge Giant
Roadhouse Member

Post by Judge Giant »

baxter wrote:My hope is that they'll even build the nostalgia into the story. Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads remains a masterpiece for this reason in my view. For those who don't know it, The Likely Lads was a 60s sitcom of the "a couple of young lads having laughs" variety. It came back a few years later with two aging men pining for their lost youth, and the genius was that you had actually lived their youth with them, and pined at the same time.

Mark Frost's hints with playing with the passage of time make me hope for something similar in the new TP (even though the style will of course be totally different).
Well, it has been said that the passage of time plays a big part in the new show - so it's entirely possible, especially within the Twin Peaks parts.

For what it's worth, my own guess is that the TP parts will start off fairly sparse - glimpses here and there - only to eventually become more prominent. Especially once Coop rolls into town.

I know nothing at all though, so this is all pure speculation on my part.

baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Yeah, I agree with your prediction.

I watched FWWM again last night, and even having seen it as recently as December, it had a sense of newness about it. I always forget exactly what is in it, and I really, really love the Deer Meadow lead in. That's probably my favourite part of the film, so my hope is that the non-TP stuff in the new series has a similar vibe. I suspect that the scenes in the town itself will be so different to the original series anyway that they may as well be filmed elsewhere.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

Judge Giant wrote:
baxter wrote:My hope is that they'll even build the nostalgia into the story. Whatever Happened to the Likely Lads remains a masterpiece for this reason in my view. For those who don't know it, The Likely Lads was a 60s sitcom of the "a couple of young lads having laughs" variety. It came back a few years later with two aging men pining for their lost youth, and the genius was that you had actually lived their youth with them, and pined at the same time.

Well, it has been said that the passage of time plays a big part in the new show - so it's entirely possible, especially within the Twin Peaks parts.

For what it's worth, my own guess is that the TP parts will start off fairly sparse - glimpses here and there - only to eventually become more prominent. Especially once Coop rolls into town.

I know nothing at all though, so this is all pure speculation on my part.
I really love the idea of the show starting off with just glimpses of twin peaks, that become more prominent as the series moves along. 12 hours !
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

There's only one thing in S3 that will cause me sadness. No Jack Nance.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Ashok
Great Northern Member

Post by Ashok »

I could barely sleep last night. I can't believe this day is actually here. I watched Twin Peaks for the first time back in 2002. Bought the Japanese DVD from ebay after hearing some friends talking about it at school and loved it. Season 2 wasn't even for sale at the time and was a nightmare to track down. For years I always wished the show had aired a bit later when I would have been old enough to watch it live, and now it seems that is somehow actually happening. :shock:
"Whatever happened, happened." -Daniel Faraday
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Less than 12 hours to go guys!! :shock:
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Bloodflood
Roadhouse Member

Post by Bloodflood »

The longest sunday ever
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:There's only one thing in S3 that will cause me sadness. No Jack Nance.
Absolutely. It is nice that the original finale could be retconned to give him some slight closure, and I love that Mark gave him a heroic final act in TSHoTP. But Jack's iconic delivery and his importance to DKL's larger body of work are such a huge part of the original show for me, despite him never really getting a whole lot to do.
pbilly369

Post by pbilly369 »

Judge Giant wrote:Who's looking forward to a Lynch/Frost 6 episode 'One Saliva Bubble' miniseries on Showtime? :P

Hey, I can dream...
I would totally be up for that!
And your blood may have Laura's fingerprints on it..