NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Dom834
Roadhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Dom834 »

eyeboogers wrote:Also we now know (via Nevis in a recent interview) that the per episode budget of "Twin Peaks" is comparable to most other Showtime series. It is hard to imagine that "Twin Peaks" will not draw bigger crowds and/or media attention than f.ex. "Billions".
Not to mention that Showtime managed to sell the rights to Twin Peaks beyond the spheres reached by several of its other shows, and here and there insider story have mentioned the fact they didn't sell the rights for cheap (explaining why in many countries the deals were concluded fairly last minute). In Canada, the deal for the rights was folded into a multi year global deal between Bell and Showtime for all the Showtime content not currently held up elsewhere (like for eg: Shameless).

My guess is that financially, Twin Peak is already a success, profitable or well on its way to become profitable. We've got no numbers, but I guess we've all heard a lot about people subscribing to one service or another to watch TP. And that's before the physical and digital sales that will come after the series is over only. And then, as a "complete", self-contained (but still expendable) franchise, it has the potential to keep selling well for many years.

Critical reception and especially fan reception are more likely to impact the future of the project, IMHO, than purely financial issues. I think David and Mark might be tempted to continue if they truly sense a wave of enthusiasm for more Twin Peaks, and to give up if they sense The Return has a too lukewarm (or worse) reception with fans.
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Quote from the article:

After the original “Twin Peaks” solved the mystery of Laura Palmer’s killer early in its second season, ratings collapsed.

“The next mystery didn’t have the same power, and ABC kept moving us."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_T ... s_episodes

Pilot: 34.6 million viewers
Episode 6: 15.6 million viewers
Season 1 finale: 18.7 million viewers

Broadcast day changed into saturdays

Season 2 opener: 19.1 million viewers
Episode 9: 14.4 million viewers
Episode 13: 11.3 million viewers
Episode 14 (the killer's reveal): 17.2 million viewers
Episode 15: 13.3 million viewers
Episode 23: 7.8 million viewers

Broadcast day changed into thursdays

Episode 24: 9.2 million viewers
Episode 27: 7.4 million viewers

Broadcast day changed to Monday (both episodes were shown during the same day)

Episodes 28 & 29 (finale): 10.4 million viewers

It is obvious that the ratings went way down after the killer's reveal, but the ratings have been going down since the pilot.
Before the season 1 finale the ratings were over half lower than in the pilot.
And other than people checking out finales, openers and adverted conclusions (the killer's reveal) the ratings mostly kept on dropping.

Also I don't really get why the broadcast day changes are brought up so often. Yeah I get it that Saturdays are not as good as Thursdays what comes to get people to talk about the show the next day, but it always seems like people mean they constantly changed the air dates when in reality it was aired on Saturdays almost more than what it was aired on other days. Also changing the day to Saturday in the beginning of season 2 didn't stop the ratings jump high up during the killer's reveal. So I think the writing is what needs to be blamed here, and not the network. Thursdays also didn't stop ratings from falling even during season 1. And the ratings were definitely dropping pretty fast before the killer's reveal too. I'm not sure if they could've milked that cow much longer anyways without finally solving the murder.

I think the original showrunners Lynch and Frost should've laid much better plan for the writers to deal with after the killer was revealed. I don't think you can blame the air dates, the network or the other writers of this. The blame lies on Lynch and Frost as well.

I have to say though that even at its worst the ratings were good compared to what ratings of shows are today. But standards were different back then. I don't wonder it a bit that the network wanted the killer to be revealed when they were looking at the direction the ratings were going. The eggs the Golden Goose laid weren't that shiny after all. They couldn't have gone on forever with making people wonder who the killer might be. Or at least not with those plot threads they were having even from since season 1.
Last edited by Rami Airola on Thu May 18, 2017 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Mordeen wrote:I still think Showtime isn't concerned about subs over this as much as they are hoping to use it as a strategic move to entice top creators and film makers to their banner and push HBO aside as the leader in premium cable. If the Return pulls in a lot of awards that'll do the trick, and then the subs will come rolling in. Nevins has proven to be a very smart man.

-Mordeen
Exactly. Needleman has also outlined this. Showtime is playing the long game with this one. Building prestige so that more high-profile projects come to them.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I think it was good that they revealed the killer. Episode 14 is one of the best episodes ever. As Frost said, though, it took them some time to find their feet and build up momentum to the next mystery. Pity they weren't able to finish Season 2 with Episode 14 (or even 16), then start a new next season.

I didn't realise the finale got so many viewers. Considering it was moved around so much, and intercepted so many times, and that the last two episodes were shown as a TV movie in June, 10 million viewers is pretty impressive! I'm really surprised they didn't give it one more season back in the 90's.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Jonah wrote:Are they showing it in LA tomorrow? What about spoilers?
Check out the Showtime Twin Peaks Facebook page for info
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

One of our very own members won the charity auction and got two tickets to the Friday premier and party. Lucky dog.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

If a teaser is being released today, what time would we be looking at based on previous teasers?
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
polishq
RR Diner Member

Post by polishq »

Jonah wrote:If a teaser is being released today, what time would we be looking at based on previous teasers?
Sometime in the next 2 hours, probably.
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

Mordeen wrote:One of our very own members won the charity auction and got two tickets to the Friday premier and party. Lucky dog.

-Mordeen

:lol:
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

Rami Airola wrote:Also I don't really get why the broadcast day changes are brought up so often. Yeah I get it that Saturdays are not as good as Thursdays what comes to get people to talk about the show the next day, but it always seems like people mean they constantly changed the air dates when in reality it was aired on Saturdays almost more than what it was aired on other days.
A Saturday timeslot is the kiss of death. People don't watch TV on Saturday nights, they go out (SNL being the obvious huge exception, but that's on after prime time). I'm sure the decline in quality contributed to people tuning out (although I think a lot of mainstream viewers actually got frustrated with the show when it was at its best quality-wise, because it didn't spoon-feed them and they perceived it as too off-kilter --ironically, IMO, the show might have been more successful if it entered the mid-season-2 malaise quicker!). But the ratings absolutely would have been substantially better on ANY other night.

Also, you didn't point out that the season 2 premiere aired on a Sunday, not Saturday.
Last edited by Mr. Reindeer on Thu May 18, 2017 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ubermensch33
Roadhouse Member

Post by Ubermensch33 »

polishq wrote:
Jonah wrote:If a teaser is being released today, what time would we be looking at based on previous teasers?
Sometime in the next 2 hours, probably.
It's gonna be all the big names. :mrgreen:
chromereflectsimage
RR Diner Member

Post by chromereflectsimage »

Last week it was released around 3:30 EST
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Rainwater wrote:
Jonah wrote:Anyone else watching it on a laptop?
Technically yes, but I'm plugging a proper screen into it. There's no way I'm watching on a monitor the size of an obese tablet.
Same. Hdmi-cable does the magic.
SpookyDollhouse
RR Diner Member

Post by SpookyDollhouse »

Twink Peaks wrote:
Mordeen wrote:One of our very own members won the charity auction and got two tickets to the Friday premier and party. Lucky dog.

-Mordeen

:lol:
I apologize for getting a tad off-topic here, but I'm a camera freak and have been trying to track down mystery man's from Lost Highway. Any of you dudes know what model it is? I figure one of you might know!

(ok carry on)
Rami Airola
RR Diner Member

Post by Rami Airola »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
Rami Airola wrote:Also I don't really get why the broadcast day changes are brought up so often. Yeah I get it that Saturdays are not as good as Thursdays what comes to get people to talk about the show the next day, but it always seems like people mean they constantly changed the air dates when in reality it was aired on Saturdays almost more than what it was aired on other days.
A Saturday timeslot is the kiss of death. People don't watch TV on Saturday nights, they go out (SNL being the obvious huge exception, but that's on after prime time). I'm sure the decline in quality contributed to people tuning out (although I think a lot of mainstream viewers actually got frustrated with the show when it was at its best quality-wise, because it didn't spoon-feed them and they perceived it as too off-kilter --ironically, IMO, the show might have been more successful if it entered the mid-season-2 malaise quicker!). But the ratings absolutely would have been substantially better on ANY other night.
I'm not sure about that. While it was shown in Thursdays during Season 1 it still managed to have one episode that had lower ratings than a couple episodes from the Saturday Season 2 Twin Peaks. And obviously Thursdays didn't manage to help the last stretch of Season 2 either, but maybe that's just it simply being too late to recover from the damage already done.

Maybe a bit better but not substantially better, I think.
Also, you didn't point out that the season 2 premiere aired on a Sunday, not Saturday.
Wow, I actually initially wrote that and thought it still was there :shock:
That was the first date I checked and when I counted how many times it was shown in Saturdays I skipped that episode :D

I must've deleted that at some point as initially I had longer part about how many times it was shown on Saturdays.