NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by nonemoreblack »

Exactly. Cooper changed her life and was her only real friend in Twin Peaks. Not to mention, she was into mystery, and I can imagine her wanting to find out what happened with him. Sure she will have moved on with her life, but I doubt she'd see him as just a blip. I mean if we're living in a world where people fall in love after talking to someone for a day I don't see it being crazy for her to remember a guy who made a big impact on her.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Frost completely refocused Audrey's arc on her relationship with her father and Dale's on the Bookhouse Boys, fwiw.

Friend of mine (coming from a place of huge affection for the character with all her virtues and flaws, mind you) likes to say that of course she remembers him - with the fondness one has for the first person to be genuinely good to her and the PETRIFYING EMBARRASSMENT one has for the person who witnessed her throughout her most transparent 'teen with zero concept of boundaries' phase. Like once a year she's going about her business, remembers that one time she showed up naked in his bed, cringes for five solid minutes and goes back to her life, half hoping he forgot about that...

Anyway seeing how they handled Coop's memories of the town and the town's memories of Coop in general is going to be very interesting. It was one month, 25+ years ago...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

djerdap wrote:Small interview with Mädchen:

http://www.ibtimes.com.au/twin-peaks-se ... on-1543256
“Twin Peaks” season 3 will mark the return of Madchen Amick in her role as Shelly Johnson, who works at restaurant Double R Diner. Recently, the actress spilled the beans on what fans must look forward to seeing from her character in the 2017 season.

In the show, high school dropout Shelly is married to trucker Leo Johnson (Eric Da Re). However, she isn’t happy with him. He lured her into getting married, showing him love and attention but it seemed that he “wanted a maid he didn't have to pay for,” as Shelly once said in the show.

She has an affair with Laura's boyfriend, Bobby Briggs (Dana Ashbrook), and they have been seen planning to get married in the last season. She wants to run away from all the torture she bears because of Leo. It is in the 2017 season of the show that fans will find if they will walk down the aisle.

“When we left the show 20 years ago, I remember thinking, huh I wonder what Shelly would do in the future and I wonder if she'll ever get out of the situation she's in,” Amick said. " sort of dreamed that she could leave town and maybe try to move to Hollywood and try to be something big, just trying to figure out her individuality,” she added.

Amick said that she was happy when it was announced that the show is returning to TV, and she would get to play the character again. She was even happier to know about the future of her character.

“Then when it was announced that it was coming back, I was just like, 'Wow, what has she done? Where has she been? What's been going on?' and I was excited to wait and get the scenes and try to figure out what David and Mark [Frost] felt had happened,” the actress said.

Amick refused to give out further details. However, she teased that there’s a big surprise waiting for fans in season 3. “The only thing I can give you is I was surprised.”

Amick was also asked if there were any questions that fans kept asking her about the show. “Yeah, there's a pretty big one that everyone always asks ... and it will be answered,” she told Toofab.com.

“Twin Peaks” 2017 season is much anticipated by fans. It has been 26 years when everyone saw the murder mystery of Laura Palmer (Sheryl Lee) being solved. In the finale episode of season 2, FBI Agent Dale Cooper (Kyle MacLachlan) goes missing in the woods, after being possessed by mysterious killer BOB (Frank Silva).

“Twin Peaks” season 3 will be premiered in the US on May 21 at 9:00 p.m. ET on Showtime. In Australia, show will be streamed on Stan at 1:00 p.m. on May 22. The 2017 season will have 18 episodes. The premiere episode will be two-hour long.

Aw, nice! Two things jumped at me here: I'm pleased as punch Amick wanted Shelly to have a chance to "figure out her individuality" because that was always, almost verbatim, one of my big concerns for the poor girl. I know she mentioned elsewhere that s3 Shelly is not the Shelly she 'headcanoned', but I hope she got this at least!

And... do you think the question "everyone always asks" is "how's Annie"? In that case, it's interesting that Shelly would be one of the characters involved in one of the scenes related to the answer to that question, no? Not entirely unexpected (she has ties to Norma who has ties to Annie, for one), but not entirely obvious either, imho!
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

nonemoreblack wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:Do we really? I know nothing of the sort. It's true that there've been reports in the years since the series went off the air about the intended pairing of Audrey and Cooper, but had they proceeded with that, who knows where they'd end up. The thing is, from what I gather about the whole Twin Peaks-making process of '89-'91, the showrunners and writers didn't have some master plan prepared for seasons in advance or even for a whole season - it's been said numerous times that, after the initial board was set by the pilot, they improvised and made things up as they went along. It's not even entirely clear if LP's killer's identity was indeed known to Lynch & Frost from day one. Therefore, who's to tell how long they've known Annie would unwillingly help Cooper's nemesis to open the portal to the Black Lodge and Cooper would wind up with Bob? Maybe 2-3 episodes before the finale, maybe a little more, maybe a little less.
I'm not sure what you're trying to argue here. Frost has said the intention was for it to be Audrey. That was one thing they planned pretty far in advance. Even in Annie's dialogue when she says Coop will come for her, it's obvious it was meant to be Audrey because Annie hadn't known him well enough to say something like that.
What I'm trying to argue is right there in my paragraph, so no big mystery there. I'd like you to point me to Frost's quote where he said had Annie not be taken to the Black Lodge at the end, Audrey would've been in her place, as I'm completely oblivious to such creative intentions. All I remember him saying is that the showrunners had at some time intended for Coop and Audrey to get together; other than that, we have NO IDEA (ie. nobody of the original creative team told us) how that would've evolved.
nonemoreblack wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:That I can agree with. I was commenting on what went on in the original series, and going from that, Audrey just isn't as fateful a figure in Coop's life as Annie. Yes, the show toyed with her maybe becoming such, but in the end, it didn't happen.
Again I disagree. Audrey was perhaps the person Cooper became most attached to aside from Harry. She saved his job, and if I remember rightly was the only other person to know about Caroline. I don't consider Annie that important in the grand scheme of things, but hey, I'm happy to be proved wrong.
Well, your "proofs" so far amounted pretty much to your considerations, wishful thinkings and resentments regarding the withering of Sherilyn Fenn's role. I can only point to the stone-hard facts of the storyline progression in the original series, and they are speaking about Annie becoming the "significant other" in Coop's life in a way Audrey hasn't. Sorry that you don't like it, but that's the way it went down. Need additional clues? Watch the series' finale.
nonemoreblack wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:You're forgetting that Annie was quite a few years older than Audrey, enough so that she went as an adult, which is far more than we can say for Audrey. So, there is a certain logic in Cooper resisting one romance but embracing another, hearkening back to the speech he gives Audrey (about certain values he swore to uphold) when he finds her in his bed. Moreover, even though the derailment of Audrey-Coop romance supposedly stemmed from such preposterous real-life trivia as LFB getting MacLachlan to put the kibosh on it, I think the way it was handled on the show was quite professional and artistically integral, not only without threatening the believability of the characters but actually reinforcing it (especially the main character's).
It's not so much about her age (although Heather Graham looks like a child, and Cooper always came across as a fatherly figure to her imo). She wasn't in the right emotional state to be in a relationship, and it was wrong for Cooper to put her in danger like that. For me personally it ruined any potential drama the end of the season could've had because it was way too late to introduce a new character/love interest. I didn't care at all about what happened to Annie. She felt like a Mary Sue.
Again, you pile on things that amount to little more than your personal observations: to you HG looks like a child, to me she doesn't. And that's not even the main point: the main point is, the series TELLS US ANNIE'S AN ADULT, which is not the case when it comes to Audrey. That's good enough for me.
As to the wrongfulness of Cooper pursuing his feelings towards Annie and in so doing endangering her, well, that's sorta the point of his eventual downfall (and one of the crucial turning points for the series).
Last edited by Agent Earle on Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Journalists kill me. "Spilled the beans" :roll:
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Adolphus wrote:Do we really? I know nothing of the sort. It's true that there've been reports in the years since the series went off the air about the intended pairing of Audrey and Cooper, but had they proceeded with that, who knows where they'd end up. The thing is, from what I gather about the whole Twin Peaks-making process of '89-'91, the showrunners and writers didn't have some master plan prepared for seasons in advance or even for a whole season - it's been said numerous times that, after the initial board was set by the pilot, they improvised and made things up as they went along. It's not even entirely clear if LP's killer's identity was indeed known to Lynch & Frost from day one.

In the gold box set documentary Mark Frost says that both he and Lynch knew who the killer was when the series started.

I remember sorta mixed messages about the matter that we've gotten from the production's side over the years, so my argument was based on that. I think Lynch especially seemed like he couldn't make up his mind about whether he'd known back then that it was Leland all along or he hadn't.
Adolphus wrote:So wrong again.
The first time I was wrong being...?
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

Oh, great Madchen interview - funny when I read it I thought the statement meant what question do fans always ask her about her character -and just naturally assumed Did Leo Die? I never even thought How's Annie? Of course.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

mtwentz wrote:
marchug wrote:
ForKeeps wrote:
This is not true. They will also be available On Demand if you're signed up through your cable provider. Basically, if you're paying money for Showtime, you will be able to watch 3 and 4 on the 21st.
Tell me where any place other than the United States is getting all 4 hours? I mean, Crave TV in Canada airs Showtime shows along with various other things. They are similar to Netflix but they are not Showtime. So how are WE getting a 4 hour premiere?
I think the point is that U.S. residents, if they subscribe to Showtime through cable, do not need to have an additional digital subscription in order to watch hours 3 and 4.
Yeah, I agree. But doesn't this then negate it as a four hour premiere? That is the point I am trying to make. Not everyone will be seeing the first 4 hours on That Sunday night. So it will not be a 4 hour premiere. Only a 2 hour premiere with a bonus 2 hours for those of them lucky enough to live in the right place at the right time. People are speculating that their must be some reason for the 4 hours. Like Lynch/Frost have some kind of beginning story arc that will take 4 hours. But this can't be true if only a certain amount of people will be able to watch it.

Anyway, I still can't believe this is happening!!!
-23-
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I thought the implication was that the question Madchen gets is "Did shelly & Bobby end up together/get married?"
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

marchug wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
marchug wrote:
Tell me where any place other than the United States is getting all 4 hours? I mean, Crave TV in Canada airs Showtime shows along with various other things. They are similar to Netflix but they are not Showtime. So how are WE getting a 4 hour premiere?
I think the point is that U.S. residents, if they subscribe to Showtime through cable, do not need to have an additional digital subscription in order to watch hours 3 and 4.
Yeah, I agree. But doesn't this then negate it as a four hour premiere? That is the point I am trying to make. Not everyone will be seeing the first 4 hours on That Sunday night. So it will not be a 4 hour premiere. Only a 2 hour premiere with a bonus 2 hours for those of them lucky enough to live in the right place at the right time. People are speculating that their must be some reason for the 4 hours. Like Lynch/Frost have some kind of beginning story arc that will take 4 hours. But this can't be true if only a certain amount of people will be able to watch it.

Anyway, I still can't believe this is happening!!!
My guess is its as simple as critics will be getting 4 episodes. And that it has nothing to do will the actual story of the episodes themselves.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Ross wrote:I thought the implication was that the question Madchen gets is "Did shelly & Bobby end up together/get married?"
Yes, I think it was whether or not Bobby and Shelly are married. She recently addressed that on Twitter with a fan as well, stating she wished she could answer it.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Ross wrote:I thought the implication was that the question Madchen gets is "Did shelly & Bobby end up together/get married?"
Yes, I think it was whether or not Bobby and Shelly are married. She recently addressed that on Twitter with a fan as well, stating she wished she could answer it.
Ah, that (or Leo!) makes more sense :oops: the reasoning behind my guess was that we don't need reassurance to know that we're gonna find out how Shelly and Bobby fared, since they're both returning. Annie was the only big question I could think of whose status was uncertain.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

it's "will she hook up with cole"
The Jumping Man
RR Diner Member

Post by The Jumping Man »

I see Lynch's "memoir" is due out Sept. 5, which should be around the time the series is wrapping up. Wonder if he'll write about it extensively in the book. (Well, "extensively" being a relative term when it comes to Lynch...)
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

The Jumping Man wrote:I see Lynch's "memoir" is due out Sept. 5, which should be around the time the series is wrapping up. Wonder if he'll write about it extensively in the book. (Well, "extensively" being a relative term when it comes to Lynch...)
LOL! I'd give it 1-1.5 pages and even that might be stretchin' it :)