NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ross
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Ross »

I think being surprised that neither Lynch or Frost went back and watched the series is pretty legit.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'd say Frost did. Has he said he hasn't? (Aside from the inconsistencies in his book, which might be there for another reason, I have a feeling he would have checked continuity for the scripts - unless the plot due to an alternative timeline or something somehow makes this a moot point.)
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Mordeen wrote:What, like this?

BOBBY: What's got you down, baby?

SHELLEY: What the fuck do you think, Bobby? I'm in my fucking forties and still fucking work at a fucking diner. When I started the fucking coffee was fifty cents and I was making shit for money. Now coffee is almost three bucks and I still make fucking shit for money and have to listen to people complain how much the goddamned fucking coffee costs.

BOBBY: That's fucked.

-Mordeen
AS long as the Trailer Park Boys-writers aren't writing it it's good enough for me.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Jonah wrote:I'd say Frost did. Has he said he hasn't? (Aside from the inconsistencies in his book, which might be there for another reason, I have a feeling he would have checked continuity for the scripts - unless the plot due to an alternative timeline or something somehow makes this a moot point.)
He said in interviews that he did not.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

Ah ok. Hmmm. Maybe they wanted to approach it by memory itself. Or approach it in a fresh way. I would have assumed Frost, as a writer, would have reread the old scripts at least. I guess the plot is going to involve things being skewed differently somehow, possibly the timeline/setting, etc. Which fits with some of the stuff we've already seen. I keep thinking about the trailer park, for example.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Ross wrote:I think being surprised that neither Lynch or Frost went back and watched the series is pretty legit.
I know- we are all just having a good laugh at each other's expense. I've been as nervous a Nellie as anyone here. It's just that I've already made my peace with the continuity issue- I have low expectations there will be good continuity. My big thing is for the show to have a somewhat coherent storyline (and not go full Inland Empire for the entire 18 hours) and for there to be enough comedy to balance the darkness.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
sp.agent.dalecooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by sp.agent.dalecooper »

I'd imagine that anything relating to Cooper, Laura, the Palmers, Bob and the lodge mythology they feel like they have etched in their soul.

100% continuity with certain character threads that don't relate to what they see as the central theme may not be deemed a priority. FWWM seems to indicate this via exclusion. TSHOTP seems to suggest this as well.

So it may be that certain original cast characters have some continuity errors that don't register to Lynch or Frost. It may also be that several original cast characters have very small roles this time around or roles that don't really tie into a need for 100% continuity or don't go to a place that would put continuity in to question.

So overall, I can see why(provided its true) neither DKL/MF went through the process without feeling the need or responsibility of watching every single episode. Perhaps they had a few instances where they gad to chase down canon to confirm a specific point. Perhaps some times they could have but just didn't want to, careening forward by the excitement they have for the new story they are telling in the world and mood they created.

In the end, my thoughts can be summed up pretty easily. I loved what they created and gifted to us in Twin Peaks. I love what Lynch gave us with FWWM. I love every film Lynch has given us outside the world of Twin Peaks. So I feel pretty darn good that I will love whatever and however they decide to gift us this new return to the world they created.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

mtwentz wrote:
Ross wrote:I think being surprised that neither Lynch or Frost went back and watched the series is pretty legit.
I know- we are all just having a good laugh at each other's expense. I've been as nervous a Nellie as anyone here. It's just that I've already made my peace with the continuity issue- I have low expectations there will be good continuity. My big thing is for the show to have a somewhat coherent storyline (and not go full Inland Empire for the entire 18 hours) and for there to be enough comedy to balance the darkness.
My hope is that there will be as few contradictions as possible just by sheer luck. We're in a good situation that there aren't that many storylines that really NEED to be continued except for the cliffhangers in the finale, (with the Windom Earle storyline (most likely) being over and everything). And we know for a fact they did re-watch at least the finale so there's that at least.
thedougpa
RR Diner Member

Post by thedougpa »

Who else thinks we won't have a title sequence each hour?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

DirkG wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
My hope is that there will be as few contradictions as possible just by sheer luck. We're in a good situation that there aren't that many storylines that really NEED to be continued except for the cliffhangers in the finale, (with the Windom Earle storyline (most likely) being over and everything). And we know for a fact they did re-watch at least the finale so there's that at least.
That's my hope as well.
mtwentz wrote:...and for there to be enough comedy to balance the darkness.
I honestly feel like we'll get a lot of comedic moments. Looking thru the cast list there are a lot of comedic actors- more than I would have guessed. It doesn't mean they all play comedic parts, but I think there will certainly be a balance.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

thedougpa wrote:Who else thinks we won't have a title sequence each hour?

We have actually discussed that issue a few weeks back.

Mr. Reindeer was of the opinion that SAG rules will require a credit sequence for each hour. I am assuming he is right, but I do not know much about the issue myself.

However, I would not be surprised for them handle credits differently than the original series, in one way or another.

Edit: If two hours are shown in one night, as will be done the first two weeks and the last week, it is possible they only show one beginning and one ending credit sequence on those nights. I think that is possible.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I will say that if anyone could work magic and cut through red tape, it's Lynch. It would be unprecedented for every hour not to have its own opening and closing credits, and I'd be surprised, but the man has a way of swaying people to his vision.
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

I am hoping for a twisted show full of wtf moments personally. For me FWWM is my favorite part of the twin peaks saga. I loveeee that movie so much. I prefer when twin peaks is darker with similar dark comedy thrown in.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

mtwentz wrote:
thedougpa wrote:Who else thinks we won't have a title sequence each hour?

We have actually discussed that issue a few weeks back.

Mr. Reindeer was of the opinion that SAG rules will require a credit sequence for each hour. I am assuming he is right, but I do not know much about the issue myself.

However, I would not be surprised for them handle credits differently than the original series, in one way or another.
They could definitely go the route of no opening credits song/sequence, as most network shows have gone that route. And just put the credits over the opening scenes. Of perhaps put all the credits at the end of each episode? I wonder if that still meets SAG rules?
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

DirkG wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
I know feelings on INLAND EMPIRE are mixed, even on this board, but IMO it's incredible how well that film works as a unified whole given the way it was made. Ditto MD. I'm a meat and potatoes man, not spiritual, don't believe in much that I can't see and touch. But somehow, DKL seems to have an ability to tap into worlds (perhaps worlds that only exist inside himself) and find consistency through pure instinct. Somehow, I feel like if something contradicted the original show, he would sense it -- just as he sensed certain elements were wrong for IE's world and confined them to the "More Things That Happened" feature. Perhaps I'm putting too much faith in him, but what I've seen/read about his process is really uncanny.