NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Rhodes
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Rhodes »

It's a good thing that Mark Frost gets the respect he deserves from some posters here. The problem is that they go so much overboard with their statements, that it undermines their credibility a little bit in my opinion.

Of course, Frost is not "just as important". The man himself said he was only involved in 40% of the production. This in contrast with Lynch who was involved in everything and directed every part! Not a minor detail. Especially since we know how iconic and unique he can be as a director.

Mark Frost is, ultimately, a writer. I'm sure he is a good writer. Probably a great asset to the show. But he is not necessary (as Lynch's movies, including FWWM have proven). Think about Twin Peaks without Lynch on the other hand. There is literally not a single person in the whole wide world who could do the same things.

I have the feeling (but this is pure speculation from my part) that Frost accepted that he's the number 2. And that will make their current colloboration even stronger than their first one. Because Lynch should not be restricted in any way. All information we have so far gives me the strong impression that we will indeed get the "pure heroine Lynch" this time around rather than a 50/50 MF/DL-show. And the "It's happening again-trailer" supports that theory. It makes me look forward to what I believe (now even more strongly) will be the greatest piece of television ever.

So let's just be glad that Mark is on board too instead of refuelling their supposed rivalry. I'm sure that Mark feels no shame , but pride to be the number 2 man in this amazing project!
Sidgwick
Roadhouse Member

Post by Sidgwick »

Lynch is a bigger drawing card. He's going to sell more magazines, drive more Web traffic. I don't think it's any more sinister than that.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

^^^^^^
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Rhodes wrote:It's a good thing that Mark Frost gets the respect he deserves from some posters here. The problem is that they go so much overboard with their statements, that it undermines their credibility a little bit in my opinion.

Of course, Frost is not "just as important". The man himself said he was only involved in 40% of the production. This in contrast with Lynch who was involved in everything and directed every part! Not a minor detail. Especially since we know how iconic and unique he can be as a director.

Mark Frost is, ultimately, a writer. I'm sure he is a good writer. Probably a great asset to the show. But he is not necessary (as Lynch's movies, including FWWM have proven). Think about Twin Peaks without Lynch on the other hand. There is literally not a single person in the whole wide world who could do the same things.

I have the feeling (but this is pure speculation from my part) that Frost accepted that he's the number 2. And that will make their current colloboration even stronger than their first one. Because Lynch should not be restricted in any way. All information we have so far gives me the strong impression that we will indeed get the "pure heroine Lynch" this time around rather than a 50/50 MF/DL-show. And the "It's happening again-trailer" supports that theory. It makes me look forward to what I believe (now even more strongly) will be the greatest piece of television ever.

So let's just be glad that Mark is on board too instead of refuelling their supposed rivalry. I'm sure that Mark feels no shame , but pride to be the number 2 man in this amazing project!
And Frost's contribution to the Twin Peaks universe would be ... just what exactly, according to you? That his writing abilities are "probably a great asset to the show"?
If it weren't for Frost, Twin Peaks wouldn't have happened. It's as simple as that. That's not "going overboard" with the assessment in any way. It's just the way it is; and that qualifies as "just as important" in my book. It goes without saying that the same applies to Lynch, but it's not his contribution that's being called into question here. And we're not talking about Lynch's movies, in which Frost didn't participate, either, we're talking about Twin Peaks The Series, about to get Twin Peaks The Series: Continuation. (Of course, you may point in the FWWM direction, but that wouldn't exist on its own either, the series came first.)
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

mtwentz wrote:For us true Peaks Freaks, there is no Twin Peaks without Mark Frost. We can debate all day what pct of the success is Frost and what pct is Lynch, but bottom line is it took the synergy between the two of them to bring this wonderful into being.
You're absolutely right, however, (a bit far-fetched comparison, but still) there wouldn't be any Beatles without George and Ringo either, still it's not controversial to claim that Lennon/McCartney was, creatively, the most important half of the combo, neither should it be to point out the same about Lynch vs. Frost. It's simply a fact.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Agent Earle wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:RE: all those people talking about Northern Exposure earlier...

I hear that the DVDs of the show don't have the original music, as they couldn't get the rights. I've heard that, as a result, the show is not nearly as captivating or enjoyable. This makes me sad! I wanna check the show out, but I would really prefer to see it with the original music :'(
You've heard it correctly. The rights issues caused the show being put on DVD with all of the music from the TV airings replaced, basically massacring the original atmosphere and experience. A crying shame! I hope one day (maybe with a BluRay release, should that ever happen, though it currently looks like a tough call) this gets put to right.
Damn, I didn't know that. I have the first seasons on DVD and never liked it very much. Stopped watching during season 2. Maybe this is the reason why I didn't get it...
"Your log and I are on the same page."
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

I'm sure Lynch can do Art like no other - he's proven so time and time again (and I love some - mind you, not all - of his cinematic output). But with this current project, I don't want simply Lynch's art - if I'd want that, I'd be just as content if he was to "publish" various bric-a-bracs on his web page daily. What I want is the continuation of Twin Peaks, with established honest-to-God characters (and new ones) and their honest-to-God storylines (and new ones), I want something with actual, living, breathing, honest-to-God PLOT, sprinkled with Lynch's magic and elevated by it - and I can't/couldn't have had that without Mark Frost. A fact.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

I'm pretty sure everyone respects Frost here. I'm sure we'll hear more from him at some point.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
mfleite
Roadhouse Member

Post by mfleite »

Wonderful & Strange wrote:I'm pretty sure everyone respects Frost here. I'm sure we'll hear more from him at some point.
After TP:The Return is released, I wouldn't be suprised that another Lynch/Frost project is shopped around.
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Agent Earle wrote:I'm sure Lynch can do Art like no other - he's proven so time and time again (and I love some - mind you, not all - of his cinematic output). But with this current project, I don't want simply Lynch's art - if I'd want that, I'd be just as content if he was to "publish" various bric-a-bracs on his web page daily. What I want is the continuation of Twin Peaks, with established honest-to-God characters (and new ones) and their honest-to-God storylines (and new ones), I want something with actual, living, breathing, honest-to-God PLOT, sprinkled with Lynch's magic and elevated by it - and I can't/couldn't have had that without Mark Frost. A fact.
Right, so we've got two facts then, two facts that are equally fair to point out.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

These two fellas chose to work with each other because they complement one another. I don't see why we fans want to keep debating their importance to each other or Twin Peaks.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

I think Mark Frost is a bit like, as businessmen say, the 'silent partner.' His involvement is essential (FWWM was a great, great movie, but I'm not sure how far a series of movies would have gone without Frost's return at some point,) but he's happy to work behind the scenes developing the mythology, writing the books, focusing on the scripts, while David Lynch acts in the show, directs it and does the publicity; something which Frost tends to eschew. Also, I think Lynch's collaborators are hugely important to his work. Frost once desribed Lynch as being very much a 'stylist' and I think the best of Lynch's work comes from his level of collaboration. Once he has a locked script, he's very good at going to the set or location and building on it, but I rather think the structural 'borders' (I won't go so far as to say 'limitations') of a good script bring out the best of Lynch's creativity. In part, that's why I'm looking forward to the new Twin Peaks so much. Mark Frost's involvement, in my opinion, will help focus David Lynch's talents to turn what's written in ink into cinematic gold.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

What's funny is back in 2014 lynch flat-out refused to talk about twin peaks until he was done working on it, and for 2+ years frost was the spokesperson (he also did an extensive book tour in this time of course). Now lynch's part is done & frost has tagged him in to handle interview duties for a while (while himself promoting the show constantly on social media). But by all means let's spend another 5 pages dissecting his being relatively quiet for a couple of months.
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Sidgwick wrote:Lynch is a bigger drawing card. He's going to sell more magazines, drive more Web traffic. I don't think it's any more sinister than that.
Absolutely.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Somebody combined all the trailers in one video: https://youtu.be/HSFR6oqwLVM.
"Your log and I are on the same page."