NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Jerry Horne »

I swear I can't take this!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 12.31.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 12.31.48 PM.png (41.31 KiB) Viewed 9237 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Hopper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hopper »

What could we'd be missing? More teasers?

More (ehem) ""3D"" paintings?
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

Venus wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
mtwentz wrote: I read until it that he is the junior partner of the enterprise, not surprising really.
But the video has Lesli Glatter, Gary Levine, and several people totally unrelated to either the old or new series. You'd think a video about the inception of the thing could find a place for both of the people who were responsible for the inception.
Yes you would think so. I do wonder sometimes how Mark Frost feels about being continually forgotten when it comes to this project. It frustrates me so I wonder if he has made peace with it or not. He's not forgotten by us as fans, but by the press and general public. He never gets a look in and he is just as important as David Lynch. I guess lately he has also had a lot to deal with - several illnesses and the loss of his father. Plus he seems very preoccupied with the White House on his twitter feed which does seem very all consuming. I very much hope to hear more from him and hope the book tour gets rescheduled for him to visit the UK and other places he missed. It would be great to say a thank you to him in person. He deserves just as much glory as DKL.
I get what you're saying here, and my take on it is that Frost has probably made peace with it. I think Lynch's legend status has grown to such a degree that Frost probably understands that he's always going to be overshadowed by Lynch. It's just an inevitability.

That said, I do think that Lynch is more the key to this thing than Frost. They may have been equally important during the conceptualization phases, but without Lynch's direction I feel that the show would never have taken off as it did. That Pilot is so outstanding not merely because of the writing, but because of that uncanny atmosphere, because of Lynch's way with actors, because of the cinematic qualities, etc. And the more dreamlike moments of the show that are so ingrained in viewers are all because of Lynch. I think Frost knows this and accepts it. Frost was recently asked how much of the new production he's involved in, and he answered 40%, I think. That wasn't his share of the workload, that was his actual involvement, whereas Lynch's is seemingly 100%. And I know that Frost was around the original series more than Lynch, but even so, Lynch's contributions have taken hold of the public consciousness more.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

This sounds like more than a trailer.

Fasten your seat belts, the hype train is about to turn in to a roller coaster
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

A cinema here is showing FWWM next week - Wednesday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon before the premiere of the new series! I thought that was pretty cool.
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
MusicInTheAir

Post by MusicInTheAir »

Jonah wrote:A cinema here is showing FWWM next week - Wednesday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon before the premiere of the new series! I thought that was pretty cool.
Watched FWWM + The Missing Pieces together over here, couple of weeks ago - at the cinema. :D
Beautiful experience.
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

I'm trying to decide whether it's worth taking a train 2.5 hours there and 2.5 hours back to see it on the big screen!
I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
sp.agent.dalecooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by sp.agent.dalecooper »

No offense to anyone intended, but it's interesting to see so many people project assumptions about how Mark Frost feels(or better yet that his exclusion from tiny bits of promo material) over the past few days. I'd say we're making a mountain out of a molehill but there is no tangible reason to even believe that a molehill exists in relation to this speculated subject.
Hopper
Roadhouse Member

Post by Hopper »

I don't think Frost is underrepresented in articles, books, when it comes to Twin Peaks. He's always quoted as co-creator and co-writer. He doesn't show up in covers and stuff because Lynch is the one who play that role in this game; and he's the one who play that role because he does the exact same thing than Frost (i.e., writing and producing) plus directing, which is not a small part, right?

Lynch is the guy who "create" the atmosphere, the mood. When you think in Twin Peaks you don't think in that clever line of dialogue or the fact that the lodges are called "lodges": you think in the visuals, the floor and curtains of the lodges, the characteristic pace of the show and the beautiful music of Badalamenti (obviously, Lynch and Angelo are "a pack").

I don't have absolutely nothing against Frost: I think he's a really crafted writer and a cool guy. BUT I do think that he, for years, sounded bitter when he talked about his work con Lynch, claiming for himself the narrative merits of the series and suggesting that the last films of Lynch were a mess because, precisely, they lacked that narrative weight.

The reality is that Frost hasn't had considerable success for many years, while some of Lynch's works that he disdained today are considered classics.

However, now seems that his attitude has changed and he has made peace with the fact of being a magnificent second on board that not for being "magnificent" ceases to be less "second". The proof is in the importance that seems to have FWWM, a film on which he always showed an apathetic attitude, in the new series (I say this based on Lynch's statements and the obvious importance of e-lec-tri-ci-tyyyy in teasers).

I respect Mark Frost. I like him. But he's not the 50% of Twin Peaks, Jesus, the same way Barry Gifford is not the 50% of Lost Highway, nor Paul Schroeder of Taxi Driver.

If he has assume that, and I think so, I'm sure we all can.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

LateReg wrote:
Venus wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:
But the video has Lesli Glatter, Gary Levine, and several people totally unrelated to either the old or new series. You'd think a video about the inception of the thing could find a place for both of the people who were responsible for the inception.
Yes you would think so. I do wonder sometimes how Mark Frost feels about being continually forgotten when it comes to this project. It frustrates me so I wonder if he has made peace with it or not. He's not forgotten by us as fans, but by the press and general public. He never gets a look in and he is just as important as David Lynch. I guess lately he has also had a lot to deal with - several illnesses and the loss of his father. Plus he seems very preoccupied with the White House on his twitter feed which does seem very all consuming. I very much hope to hear more from him and hope the book tour gets rescheduled for him to visit the UK and other places he missed. It would be great to say a thank you to him in person. He deserves just as much glory as DKL.
I get what you're saying here, and my take on it is that Frost has probably made peace with it. I think Lynch's legend status has grown to such a degree that Frost probably understands that he's always going to be overshadowed by Lynch. It's just an inevitability.

That said, I do think that Lynch is more the key to this thing than Frost. They may have been equally important during the conceptualization phases, but without Lynch's direction I feel that the show would never have taken off as it did. That Pilot is so outstanding not merely because of the writing, but because of that uncanny atmosphere, because of Lynch's way with actors, because of the cinematic qualities, etc. And the more dreamlike moments of the show that are so ingrained in viewers are all because of Lynch. I think Frost knows this and accepts it. Frost was recently asked how much of the new production he's involved in, and he answered 40%, I think. That wasn't his share of the workload, that was his actual involvement, whereas Lynch's is seemingly 100%. And I know that Frost was around the original series more than Lynch, but even so, Lynch's contributions have taken hold of the public consciousness more.
For us true Peaks Freaks, there is no Twin Peaks without Mark Frost. We can debate all day what pct of the success is Frost and what pct is Lynch, but bottom line is it took the synergy between the two of them to bring this wonderful into being.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Jonah
Global Moderator

Post by Jonah »

sp.agent.dalecooper wrote:No offense to anyone intended, but it's interesting to see so many people project assumptions about how Mark Frost feels(or better yet that his exclusion from tiny bits of promo material) over the past few days. I'd say we're making a mountain out of a molehill but there is no tangible reason to even believe that a molehill exists in relation to this speculated subject.
Agreed. And he may not even like the limelight as much as perhaps Lynch does. Maybe Frost prefers to stay more in the shadows, apart from occasional interviews. Some writers are like that.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

mtwentz wrote:
LateReg wrote:
Venus wrote:

For us true Peaks Freaks, there is no Twin Peaks without Mark Frost. We can debate all day what pct of the success is Frost and what pct is Lynch, but bottom line is it took the synergy between the two of them to bring this wonderful into being.
Darn tootin'!
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

RE: all those people talking about Northern Exposure earlier...

I hear that the DVDs of the show don't have the original music, as they couldn't get the rights. I've heard that, as a result, the show is not nearly as captivating or enjoyable. This makes me sad! I wanna check the show out, but I would really prefer to see it with the original music :'(

I know it's corny, but I also feel this way about a guilty pleasure show of mine, the original 90s Beverly Hills 90210. They music that they put into the show for Hulu STANKS!
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Ross wrote:
Mr. Reindeer wrote:No Mark Frost though. His lack of participation in promotion is really baffling. I'm not reading much into it, but I really would love to hear more from him, particularly once the show starts airing.
I find it rather baffling as well. He's been so silent. I was expecting him to be the voice of things when it came to promotion and talking about the new series. And yet we've heard almost nothing. Hopefully that changes. And more hopefully there isn't anything there to read into.
Maybe he's to busy writing his next book :)
"Your log and I are on the same page."
MoondogJR
RR Diner Member

Post by MoondogJR »

Audrey Horne wrote:
Major Briggs wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:I'm hoping it's just not addressed, and Lynch and Frost have worked it so no need for cell phones, years or technology is mentioned. I always wished years weren't mentioned in the original series, only months and days.
Why would they show somebody checking Instagram on a 2-minute teaser?

Also it's pretty clear by now that time and its passage ARE important things.
I didn't say they weren't. When Peaks was working at its best, is was a stylized movie world. Certain things like Cooper's calculator or a giant cell phone doesn't bother me, they represent more symbols of technology. Just don't go too specific or else it's dated almost immediately. A hula hoop is fine because it has endured enough to always be recognized as classic, an Ugg boot is not. A Mom tattoo is fine, but a barbed wire tattoo is not. Lynch though is pretty good at this.
Totaly agree!
"Your log and I are on the same page."