NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

I believe Lynch in fact did OK this latest trailer.

Showtime marketing guy:
Hey, David, we have another minimalist commercial ready for release now. Is it ok? It's really minimalist and doesn't... [gets interrupted]

David Lynch:
DOES IT HAVE ANY NEW FOOTAGE?

Showtime marketing guy:
No, it's a title based ad. Only titles and those trees in the...

David Lynch:
OK!
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Gabriel »

As a total digression from the 'wordy trailer' chat, I just realised what the digital look of the cast trailer reminded me of: Lars Von Trier's Dogville. Obviously Lynch's series has sets and so on, but Dogville managed to be pretty astonishing at dragging out emotion from the performances, even though the look took some getting used to.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Mordeen wrote:
Venus wrote:
Mordeen wrote:There's no outrage on my part. There's plenty of shitty opining and I'm sure plenty think my opinions are shit. But if people are going to pile on about how awful a light hearted ad is I'm forced to run to the phone booth and put on my cape. The symbol on my chest may look like FU, but on my planet it means "Rejoice." No matter how clichéd, goofy, simplistic or otherwise, new marketing for new Twin Peaks is sweet, sweet nectar.
Well said. I'm happy with whatever we get. This is a truly great time to be a Twin Peaks fan. We are all very lucky. Are you a writer Mordeen as you have a wonderful way with words.
Just some guy, pay no attention to me. But thanks.
Come on, Mordeen, how can you honestly say you're "just some guy" given you know what you know about the new series??? You may be just some guy in your regular life, but certainly you're no such thing in the TP fandom right now. Hell, I'd trade half of my VHS collection for a tenth of the information you posses :D
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Yeah, that was a very bad teaser. Also it was really unnecessary.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Hmmm. Is there anything that can be deciphered from the "Season Regulars" list on the page?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Agent Earle wrote: Come on, Mordeen, how can you honestly say you're "just some guy" given you know what you know about the new series??? You may be just some guy in your regular life, but certainly you're no such thing in the TP fandom right now. Hell, I'd trade half of my VHS collection for a tenth of the information you posses :D
Yes Mordeen is very sweet...why don't you get your violin Agent Earle?
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Driftwood wrote:
Mordeen wrote: There are plenty of people looking for an excuse to complain. Of course there's nothing wrong with being critical. People seem to revel in it on forums. And I'll poke at them for not seeing the forest for the trees. Criticizing critics. It does come off as ungrateful after all the bitching that we weren't getting anything, especially when they're throwing out clues in the new footage and nobody seems to be paying attention. Goofing on a disappointing ad isn't a discussion.

I so badly want them to have the next teaser be a shot of Little Nicky the devil on Andy's shoulder, followed by a shot of Evelyn in her shades, cut to Ben waving the Confederate flag, wipe to Windom Earle eating a burger as a biker, and finish with JJW serenading Audrey at a picnic.
Just to twist people's shit up so tight they cry.
well that's petty and probably not healthy lol.
Mordeen wrote: Bottom line: I get to complain about complainers as much as they get to complain about dissatisfaction with the marketing.

Also, seemingly unacknowledged twist: wasn't the collective wisdom that Lynch has final say on the marketing? Kinda makes one take a step back from that if this ad so so completely shitty, petty and unoriginal, don't it?

Hurry up 5/21.

-Mordeen
I've played videogames my whole life so I've had enough of fans uncritically fawning over media and automatically backlashing against anything that even looks like it's critical of their favorite nerd thing to last me a lifetime. it's not very appealing. also david lynch is not god, though I seriously doubt he had anything to do with that ad anyway given that it's not remotely like anything he'd do. it's a commerical man, it's not remotely worth this outrage. maybe the evelyn story arc was the most meaningful peice of media you ever encountered, completely changed your life watching it the weekend your cat died or whatever, great. but taking it as a personal assault when somebody else doesn't feel the same way is no way to be.
I don't understand why it's necessary to attribute non-existent emotions to my opinions and statements in defense of the show and its marketing. I'm not outraged; just annoyed. I'm not personally assaulted; I can't remember a single time in my life I felt that way over someone's opinion differing from mine.

You may think I'm uncritically fawning over "my favorite nerd thing" and that's cool, go for it. But in reality what I'm doing is taking the good with the bad just like I did 26 years ago and accepting them as part of the whole experience.

Now let's get back to making more of those clever "before x was y" jokes for everyone to have to scroll through. Maybe they'll take some of the heat off of James.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Agent Earle wrote: Come on, Mordeen, how can you honestly say you're "just some guy" given you know what you know about the new series??? You may be just some guy in your regular life, but certainly you're no such thing in the TP fandom right now. Hell, I'd trade half of my VHS collection for a tenth of the information you posses :D
LOL! A good one, Agent Stanley.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Haha and BAM! Just like that we get a James joke. But seriously I have a birthday coming up and would love violin music during my meal. PM me with an offer.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
owlsseemrealtome

Post by owlsseemrealtome »

There's just been a trailer for the Sky Atlantic channel on British TV: a slow pan through the woods which ends with the tagine "it is happening again ". The bit that surprised me was that they were playing a song on the advert which I didn't recognise.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Definitely a weird and unnecessary promo, especially following up the actual footage promo - which was great!
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

owlsseemrealtome wrote:There's just been a trailer for the Sky Atlantic channel on British TV: a slow pan through the woods which ends with the tagine "it is happening again ". The bit that surprised me was that they were playing a song on the advert which I didn't recognise.
I just saw a similar trailer with the slowed down theme music on Pick TV of all channels! They're now advertising on channels outside of the company that is running it here.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Mistertom
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mistertom »

Ok so I just watched that promo everyone has been talking about , and yeah that's cringeworthy to say the least haha. Oh well you win some and you lose some .. I'd say I'm shocked at the response it's received on here but I've been around here long enough now to know anything and everything will be obsessed over. I'm just waiting till the show premiers I can just see something like "did you see coop started walking with His left foot first ? The real coop always started with his right that must have been the doppelgänger!" Haha . There truly are no fans like twin peaks fans that's for sure..
EwanM
Roadhouse Member

Post by EwanM »

Agree that the GOT, Breaking Bad ad is awful. Twin Peaks has always stood apart. I like Breaking Bad (though prefer Better Call Saul) and a few other recent shows (first series of True Detective especially), but none of them compare to Twin Peaks. Let other shows try to emulate Twin Peaks if they wish, and the influence of Lynch runs deep in shows like True Detective (second series particularly), but TP doesn't need to market itself by reference to these shows.

I understand how it's happened though. Showtime must be working overtime thinking of ways to market TP: The Return (or whatever it is called) to a generation that is saturated with these big budget, over-hyped, and in GOT's case in particular (IMO), severely overrated, TV brands.

It's a hugely risky strategy to reveal so little of the upcoming series in the commercials. We're two weeks out, and we know, and have seen, almost nothing. This is hugely effective in building suspense for the already committed TP fan, but for the non-convert, the elliptical, subliminal advertising campaign is likely to have passed most people by.

On the basis of the recent teasers that have used new footage, I think it's fair to assume Showtime are sitting on some killer material. That brief shot of a terrified-looking Harry Dean Stanton was enough to send shivers down my spine. I thought that ad was incredible, but its power derived from knowing these characters and their backstories. Is it going to hook in a new audience though? To those who haven't seen the original series and FWWM, does it just look like a bunch of old people looking sad / depressed?
The slight worry for me, and the EW spread didn't allay my fears, is that TP3 might look a bit like Cocoon: the TV show.

One of the best things about the original series was how sexy it was: the lush colour scheme, the great looking young cast. This is going to be different, we know that. It will be darker, much darker. But there are new cast members, young cast members and some incredibly beautiful people in this, not to mention some high-powered movie stars / rock stars. Those brief shots of Ed, Hawk, Carl, Andy, Sarah, Coop were gorgeous. The budget is going to be up there on the screen, that's for sure. Showtime must be sitting on an absolute mountain of footage that could really sell this thing, but due to the minimalist marketing strategy agreed with Lynch/Frost, they have to keep it all under wraps.

When you plough a huge investment into an 18 hour, star-filled, prestige series from an auteur director, and you (more than likely) have a game-changing work for the ages ready to be unleashed on the world, and you are a couple of weeks away from transmission, you want to sell it, and sell it hard. It seems like a 'Well, if we can't use actual footage, what can we do?' gambit. It misfired, but I can see how it happened. C'est la vie. I hope Lynch/Frost throw Showtime (and us) a bone and we see some of the new faces and more footage in teasers prior to May 21st.

Nonetheless, fresh teasers or not, this is really going to be something.