NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by N. Needleman »

It's a lousy promo - I've seen ones in my job exactly like that worked over and thrown out. We don't need to act like saying so is outrageous. it's not a big deal and it doesn't portent bad stuff for the show.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

There's no outrage on my part. There's plenty of shitty opining and I'm sure plenty think my opinions are shit. But if people are going to pile on about how awful a light hearted ad is I'm forced to run to the phone booth and put on my cape. The symbol on my chest may look like FU, but on my planet it means "Rejoice." No matter how clichéd, goofy, simplistic or otherwise, new marketing for new Twin Peaks is sweet, sweet nectar.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

To me it's akin to making fun of the silly titles the Germans came up with for the original series: obviously it doesn't "matter", it's trivia and nobody thinks it detracts from the quality of the show itself. But I don't think anyone's an ingrate for poking fun at something lame and inconsequential.
Wonderful & Strange
Great Northern Member

Post by Wonderful & Strange »

Agent Earle wrote:As far as I remember, I was only grumpy when I realized how long it's been since the announcement and we haven't seen a second worth of new footage yet (well, sans the one with Cooper and the woods), only the old stuff. It made me question if what they're doing all these time is indeed new Twin Peaks (a half-joke there, don't let it ruffle your feathers). But since they've thrown us a couple of latest teasers - the "Locations" and the "Familiar Faces" one -, I'm perfectly content and sleeping like a baby :) My only wish now is that we get a tiny one with some of the "New Faces" before the premiere. But no biggie if we don't.
Yep, a new faces teaser would be amazing.
Member of the Agent Tammy Preston Defense Lodge
vanderohe

Post by vanderohe »

adl345 wrote:
Goofing on a disappointing ad isn't a discussion.
What if we instead goofed on the absurdity of this statement? Would that qualify as a discussion? It's important that we establish what is and isn't a discussion prior to the premiere. I'd hate it if I and bunch of posters were to start talking about something from the show only to subsequently find out we weren't in fact having a discussion.
true, the subject is better dealth with a poll rather
>>>>two and two do not always equal four >>>>
Venus
RR Diner Member

Post by Venus »

Mordeen wrote:There's no outrage on my part. There's plenty of shitty opining and I'm sure plenty think my opinions are shit. But if people are going to pile on about how awful a light hearted ad is I'm forced to run to the phone booth and put on my cape. The symbol on my chest may look like FU, but on my planet it means "Rejoice." No matter how clichéd, goofy, simplistic or otherwise, new marketing for new Twin Peaks is sweet, sweet nectar.

-Mordeen
Well said. I'm happy with whatever we get. This is a truly great time to be a Twin Peaks fan. We are all very lucky. Are you a writer Mordeen as you have a wonderful way with words.
When Jupiter and Saturn meet...
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Venus wrote:
Mordeen wrote:There's no outrage on my part. There's plenty of shitty opining and I'm sure plenty think my opinions are shit. But if people are going to pile on about how awful a light hearted ad is I'm forced to run to the phone booth and put on my cape. The symbol on my chest may look like FU, but on my planet it means "Rejoice." No matter how clichéd, goofy, simplistic or otherwise, new marketing for new Twin Peaks is sweet, sweet nectar.

-Mordeen
Well said. I'm happy with whatever we get. This is a truly great time to be a Twin Peaks fan. We are all very lucky. Are you a writer Mordeen as you have a wonderful way with words.
Just some guy, pay no attention to me. But thanks.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

I think in terms of marketing this is still better than the official showtime TP twitter account and their awful tryhard livetweeting of the reruns. I hope nobody tells me I'm duty-bound to receive that ecstatically...
Driftwood
RR Diner Member

Post by Driftwood »

Mordeen wrote: There are plenty of people looking for an excuse to complain. Of course there's nothing wrong with being critical. People seem to revel in it on forums. And I'll poke at them for not seeing the forest for the trees. Criticizing critics. It does come off as ungrateful after all the bitching that we weren't getting anything, especially when they're throwing out clues in the new footage and nobody seems to be paying attention. Goofing on a disappointing ad isn't a discussion.

I so badly want them to have the next teaser be a shot of Little Nicky the devil on Andy's shoulder, followed by a shot of Evelyn in her shades, cut to Ben waving the Confederate flag, wipe to Windom Earle eating a burger as a biker, and finish with JJW serenading Audrey at a picnic.
Just to twist people's shit up so tight they cry.
well that's petty and probably not healthy lol.
Mordeen wrote: Bottom line: I get to complain about complainers as much as they get to complain about dissatisfaction with the marketing.

Also, seemingly unacknowledged twist: wasn't the collective wisdom that Lynch has final say on the marketing? Kinda makes one take a step back from that if this ad so so completely shitty, petty and unoriginal, don't it?

Hurry up 5/21.

-Mordeen
I've played videogames my whole life so I've had enough of fans uncritically fawning over media and automatically backlashing against anything that even looks like it's critical of their favorite nerd thing to last me a lifetime. it's not very appealing. also david lynch is not god, though I seriously doubt he had anything to do with that ad anyway given that it's not remotely like anything he'd do. it's a commerical man, it's not remotely worth this outrage. maybe the evelyn story arc was the most meaningful peice of media you ever encountered, completely changed your life watching it the weekend your cat died or whatever, great. but taking it as a personal assault when somebody else doesn't feel the same way is no way to be.
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

It's only one promo out of many. It's a case of, as Sheriff Cable would say, 'So what?'

I watched this one once, shrugged and probably won't bother again.

I have better things to think about like:

Before Shadows were Darkened,
Before Whos were Doctored,
Before Stars were Trekked,
Before Hardys were Laureled,
Before Marx was Brothered,
Before -witches were Be-ed,
Before Bradys were Bunched,
Before Morses were Inspected,
There was David being Lynched for a trailer he didnt make... ;)
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Dalai Cooper wrote:I think in terms of marketing this is still better than the official showtime TP twitter account and their awful tryhard livetweeting of the reruns. I hope nobody tells me I'm duty-bound to receive that ecstatically...
I've been on the train of thought where I have a vague unease with Showtime's marketing ever since exactly the moment they stated live-tweeting, so this promo is just another drop in the bucket for me. I want to say it doesn't matter, but I don't want to watch the show, get one thing, then look at everything around the show, and get something that might be just jarring as hell. Or when the Bluray for the new series is officially released, if it's put together in a tacky way. The least they could go for is playing in tune to the series itself, but their social media blitz is just odd and portends some annoyance in the future or maybe even when watching, if they have crap bumpers before and after the show.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Mace
Roadhouse Member

Post by Mace »

Before Pines Weaseled
Before Wheeler Wooed
Before Evelyn Exuded
Before Lana Budded
Before Windom Fluted
Before The Writing Waned

Twin Peaks Returns - May 21st

(BTW, I love the whole show. Even the weaker parts.)
Last edited by Mace on Sun May 07, 2017 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

AXX°N N. wrote:
Dalai Cooper wrote:I think in terms of marketing this is still better than the official showtime TP twitter account and their awful tryhard livetweeting of the reruns. I hope nobody tells me I'm duty-bound to receive that ecstatically...
I've been on the train of thought where I have a vague unease with Showtime's marketing ever since exactly the moment they stated live-tweeting, so this promo is just another drop in the bucket for me. I want to say it doesn't matter, but I don't want to watch the show, get one thing, then look at everything around the show, and get something that might be just jarring as hell. Or when the Bluray for the new series is officially released, if it's put together in a tacky way. The least they could go for is playing in tune to the series itself, but their social media blitz is just odd and portends some annoyance in the future or maybe even when watching, if they have crap bumpers before and after the show.
See, this sort of thing doesn't really bother me. Some of the original promos for the show back in the day were incredibly corny, although they clearly had more thought put into them than this latest thing. For me, it's great if they're decent, irrelevant if they're crap.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

AXX°N N. wrote:
Yep this. It's in line with their approach. Ditto on the vague unease and its possible ramifications.
This teaser has the additional flaw of a confrontational attitude that's completely uncalled for. Stay classy Showtime, leave the trying too hard to shows that actually have to fight for the public's attention.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I see nothing wrong with wanting the show to put its best foot forward marketing-wise (which it has been until this point, IMO, aside from the social media nonsense which I've been ignoring for the sake of my sanity). I'd like to see the show do well. If it doesn't, it won't affect my enjoyment at all -- I like plenty of unpopular and/or obscure films/series. But it would be nice both for the cast/crew and for those of us who have loved the show for years if TP were the talk of the town for the next few months. From a selfish standpoint, popularity for the show would also make subsequent Lynch projects more likely.

A lousy ad -- particularly an aggressively smug/self-congratulatory one -- can do more damage to potential viewership than a lack of advertising. Not that I think this promo will ultimately matter much one way or the other, but it's still aggravating that they chose to run this to a captive theatrical audience instead of the several vastly superior spots that have been released. If this ad were my first impression of a show, it would make me skeptical and slightly less likely to give the series a chance.

As for whether Lynch is responsible for this spot: I tend to doubt it. Its attempted hipness doesn't feel like his style, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked to find out it came from him either. While I've loved all of his feature films besides Dune, I've found several of his smaller projects obnoxious and/or boring (looking at you, Dumbland). Learning that this came directly from his pen wouldn't make me like it any more.