NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

True Detective comes close and is in a way auteur-like thanks to the teamwork of writer and director. Almost like the combo of Frost and Lynch, but Lynch creates in the writing stage too off course. But to truly be an auteur work I think the director need to write the material he/she directs or at least direct it in a way so the written material becomes something totally reconstructed by the director (the auteur) in the finished product (Season 2 finale). The director need to be in control in the end of all aspects possible. Top of the Lake are a good example of an auteur show like TPTR, yeah. Or more like something in between True Detective and TPTR.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

David Fincher on House of Cards,Noah Hawkley on Fargo
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

krishnanspace wrote:David Fincher on House of Cards,Noah Hawkley on Fargo
David Finchers control over HoC aren't near Lynch level auteurship. I have no knowledge of Hawkley/Fargo though. But what I mean with auteur TV series is a creator which writes and directs every single epi... part, and like Lynch are heavily involved in other aspects too if possible (sound, music, art direction etc).
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

I'd add The Knick, with Soderbergh directing the whole thing and the two creators writing all but two episodes. But Louie is probably the purest example of one person doing everything, possibly in television history. (Btw, any fans of CK who haven't seen Harold and Pete should do so as soon as possible -- I think it was the best season of "television" last year.)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 10.01.23 AM.png
Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 10.01.23 AM.png (266.72 KiB) Viewed 8526 times
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Gabriel
Great Northern Member

Post by Gabriel »

NightTimeMyTime wrote:But to truly be an auteur work I think the director need to write the material he/she directs or at least direct it in a way so the written material becomes something totally reconstructed by the director (the auteur) in the finished product (Season 2 finale). The director need to be in control in the end of all aspects possible.
Auteur theory was very much based on the works of Hitchcock. He didn't write his own material, although the writers wrote what he darn well told them to write! ;)
Trudy Chelgren
RR Diner Member

Post by Trudy Chelgren »

Jerry Horne wrote:
"Ident/ad I’ve not seen before just shown on Sky in UK. Panned shot of trees with new/different version of ‘The Nightingale’"
I'd only just got Sky today, and turning it on, this teaser was the first thing I saw! The twitter video doesn't really do it justice. It's the panned shot of the trees, with a slowed down version of 'The Nightingale' I think. The song starts to distort, and as the teaser ends the camera starts to shake, and something rushes towards the screen at the very right edge of the frame. I can't even say what it was, it was unrecognizable. It was really scary, in a totally unexpected way!
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

A lot of these examples are good examples. But none even come close to the level of complete control and authorship as in this new series of Peaks. It's not that others aren't good examples of auteur television...this new series is just beyond the others.
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

Trudy Chelgren wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:
"Ident/ad I’ve not seen before just shown on Sky in UK. Panned shot of trees with new/different version of ‘The Nightingale’"
I'd only just got Sky today, and turning it on, this teaser was the first thing I saw! The twitter video doesn't really do it justice. It's the panned shot of the trees, with a slowed down version of 'The Nightingale' I think. The song starts to distort, and as the teaser ends the camera starts to shake, and something rushes towards the screen at the very right edge of the frame. I can't even say what it was, it was unrecognizable. It was really scary, in a totally unexpected way!
ive posted the teaser before :roll:

https://twitter.com/StanAustralia/statu ... 7970074626
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

mlsstwrt wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:...
I'm sorry if this has been addressed elsewhere in the thread but does anybody know if UK viewers will have any option to see 3 & 4 right after 1 & 2 (e.g. Sky Box Office)?

I posted about this in the "watching season 3 around the world" thread - apparently we won't, according to a tweet I found from sky Atlantic
eyeboogers
Great Northern Member

Post by eyeboogers »

NightTimeMyTime wrote:True Detective comes close and is in a way auteur-like thanks to the teamwork of writer and director. Almost like the combo of Frost and Lynch, but Lynch creates in the writing stage too off course. But to truly be an auteur work I think the director need to write the material he/she directs or at least direct it in a way so the written material becomes something totally reconstructed by the director (the auteur) in the finished product (Season 2 finale). The director need to be in control in the end of all aspects possible. Top of the Lake are a good example of an auteur show like TPTR, yeah. Or more like something in between True Detective and TPTR.
NightTime, you are directly transferring the feature film auteur theory to the TV series, which is wrong. The director is secondary to the writer in TV, but that doesn't mean the output doesn't have one specific voice. "The West Wing" seasons 1-4 is a great example - I'd say that it is 100% auterial, there is one clear sender - Aaron Sorkin who wrote all but two episodes. The directors of course serve a function, just as the composer or the editor does. However one person has the power and the vision and is able to communicate that without (much) compromise. I'd say that Sorkin, Whedon, Gilligan, Weiner et.al. qualify as auteurs. It's just a different medium and as such different rules apply.

Adding to this, the reason most feature films aren't any good is precisely due to the writer not being in change - so by all means we should do all we can to reinterpret and reinvent the auteur paradigm for the transmedia age - not try to cling to the 1960's.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:A lot of these examples are good examples. But none even come close to the level of complete control and authorship as in this new series of Peaks. It's not that others aren't good examples of auteur television...this new series is just beyond the others.
I still hold that Louie exceeds even DKL on TP, as CK writes (solo, with the exception of the very occasional cowritten episode with Pamela Adlon), directs, edits, and stars in every episode. I don't think he's the visionary that DKL is, although he's brilliant in his own rite. But from a purely quantitative standpoint, which seems to be what people are talking about, he does more than I can think of any single person doing on a season of television. (Of course, TP has an unprecedented run time for a season where one person is doing so much -- but that's a different discussion.)
adl345
RR Diner Member

Post by adl345 »

NightTimeMyTime wrote:
krishnanspace wrote:David Fincher on House of Cards,Noah Hawkley on Fargo
David Finchers control over HoC aren't near Lynch level auteurship. I have no knowledge of Hawkley/Fargo though. But what I mean with auteur TV series is a creator which writes and directs every single epi... part, and like Lynch are heavily involved in other aspects too if possible (sound, music, art direction etc).
Fincher definitely doesn't qualify. He directed the first two episodes and has barely been involved since. His TV foray is more comparable Scorsese on Boardwalk Empire, a ringer brought on to get some early attention who subsequently moves on (while keeping an honorary EP credit).

The Louis CK example is very good one. He's made 61 episodes of television. Of those, he's directed all of them and solo-written all but nine of them (had a co-writer on the rest). Lena Dunham on Girls also comes pretty close (especially in the first couple seasons). Sense8 on Netflix is another pretty good example. Also, it's been much more common in the UK over the years (probably because of shorter seasons). It's not at all unusual for their shows to not have writing staffs and just be made by single person. Gervais/Merchant wrote & directed every single episode of The Office and Extras, for instance.
Pinky
RR Diner Member

Post by Pinky »

Platypus2000 wrote:
Calderon wrote:
Harry S. Truman wrote:
The season is going to be very very dark. The Teasers are shown. is not a comedy.
Please let this be true.
The Gordon Cole teaser has a comedic vibe to it. I'm sure it's gonna get quirky aswell as dark.
quark? Dirky?