NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Jerry Horne »

I was wondering if they would do it in the same way as when 28/29 was first transmitted.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

polishq wrote:
Jerry Horne wrote:Thanks. I just hope we find out before how they will be transmitted. Makes it hard to plan out the episode discussion ;)
I wouldn't be surprised if they did it like Mad Men. Some of the later seasons started with two episodes back-to-back but with no ending credits or opening titles between the two halves. If you paid attention you could tell where one episode ended and the next began, but they made them flow fairly smoothly. On the DVD and in later airings they were treated as two separate episodes. Of course, AMC has commercial breaks which helped to mask the transition. Not sure how Showtime will handle it!
Not quite accurate -- on DVD/Blu Ray, the double-length MM premieres were presented in their original-airing "long" form, but listed in the episode guide booklet as (for instance) "Episodes 1 and 2: 'A Little Kiss,'" in order to preserve the season's episode numbering. I expect TP to be similar (i.e., the two-hour premiere will be known as "Parts 1 & 2" so Showtime can break it up for reruns, but should be presented in its intended two-hour form on Blu Rays and streaming platforms).
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

Just caught up with about a weeks worth of posts cause I'm away, I see I haven't missed all that much. Not all that surprising I suppose. Nice trailer and good interview Ashok!

I agree placing expectations on this isn't worth it the best way to treat it is like when people first tuned in to the pilot many years ago, with some idea what to expect but discovering it as it progressed.

I think a few things could be speculated plot wise. I think evil Coop will be a thing but won't last the entire show. He will have killed people, several people probably. Could include Harry and Annie to really twist the knife in Good Coopers soul. There will be heartbreak. I think there will still be a central mystery of some sort supplementary to Coops journey.

I think there's a chance when all is said and done Coop might succeed in somehow saving Laura in some shape or another (might not be actually alive but possible), probably involving the Lodge time travelling abilities. This is more a guess than anything though.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I'll bet a slice of cherry pie they're broadcast long form, two hours without a break.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
asmahan
RR Diner Member

Post by asmahan »

Funny how Annie and Windom are entirely absent from the Darkness of Future Past summation video, as well as all the promotional materials released by Showtime, except the "Sweet Cravings" spot, where you can see the back of Annie's head very briefly.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

asmahan wrote:Funny how Annie and Windom are entirely absent from the Darkness of Future Past summation video, as well as all the promotional materials released by Showtime, except the "Sweet Cravings" spot, where you can see the back of Annie's head very briefly.
With the exception of Denise, I have a feeling the trailer touched upon the only post Laura threads they'll play off of in S3:
Black Lodge, Shadow Self, Owl Cave iconography, and of course Cooper/Bob.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

Rainwater wrote:
Chester Desmond wrote: ...
You'll feel a lot better when you realize you're not entitled to anything.
That's a horrible way to go through life man. If you go through life feeling as though you're entitled to nothing, that is exactly what you'll get.
Hang loose, Houlies
Chester Desmond
Roadhouse Member

Post by Chester Desmond »

Mordeen wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
Mordeen wrote: OMFG you two just made my day for the second time, that abusive trailer being the first. Well done gentlemen.

-Mordeen
Abusive? Image
Playing on Chester Desmond's rant. I loved the trailer for its stark lack of new footage.

-Mordeen
What if I told you Mordeen that if you like that footage you saw I get a whole lot more where that came from... being it's mostly 25 to 27 years old.

Heck, none of you need to watch the new season, you can just keep watching the old stuff over and over again...

My point being: this thread is about the NEW Twin Peaks, the new footage. They keep recycling and hashing out the same 27 year old footage we've seen over and over again... I'm not gonna cum in ecstasy over a shot of some damn trees thown in that Showtime roll branding over.

So far "Twin Peaks | Kyle MacLachlan Returns as FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper | SHOWTIME Series (2017)" teaser was good, it set a president, most of us on here though we'd get a video character reintroduction weekly in the same form, Nivens said as much when he touted we'd get teasers in the same fashion as "American Horror Story"... you can't call these videos teasers (the exception being the one I referenced above). It's like someone turned off the faucet.

I'll be grateful for the new season it when I get it, at the current rate I may never see it.

These cards are being played VERY close to the chest, ridiculously so. All other major series drop a wee bit of footage, why not Twin Peaks?

Once this is all over I would hope whomever is responsible for this marketing strategy to explain said strategy.

At any rate, none of us know why by but that doesn't stop a lot of you from rationalizing. How many f you would be happy if the new season consisted entirely of Little Nicky, Dick Tremayne, and Evelyn Marsh?

Lastly, they aren't giving anyone here 18 episodes(parts, hours, etc) we are paying for them.
Hang loose, Houlies
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Chester Desmond wrote:Once this is all over I would hope whomever is responsible for this marketing strategy to explain said strategy ... they aren't giving anyone here 18 episodes (parts, hours, etc) we are paying for them.
Then you might want to stagger up to Lynch the next time he does a Q&A and demand answer.

My guess is Lynch as creator feels his work benefits in some way from having an embargo on new footage.

Whatever his reasoning, the embargo is his prerogative -- a contract between him and Showtime, not us as rabid fans. So, no, we are not paying for it -- Showtime has fronted the money -- we will pay for it later, based on our subjective opinions on the final piece, if we deem it important enough to own. We are not part of the contract that dictates how that product is made or even marketed. We do not deserve anything, and just because you feel like you deserve something, does not at all mean you do in fact deserve it or should have it.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Chester Desmond wrote:Once this is all over I would hope whomever is responsible for this marketing strategy to explain said strategy.
You might as well ask Lynch himself as I'm sure it's his decision. If it were up to Showtime, they'd probably be doing things differently. So one can argue either way if it's a good strategy or not, but in the end Showtime gave the power to Lynch.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
tamygdala
Roadhouse Member

Post by tamygdala »

Chester Desmond wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
These cards are being played VERY close to the chest, ridiculously so. All other major series drop a wee bit of footage, why not Twin Peaks?
Twin Peaks is not just another 'major series' - Twin Peaks is David Lynch and Mark Frost, two artists who don't adhere to conventional rules, whether it be creatively or with marketing their show. Even in 1990, Lynch and Frost went to great lengths to keep details of the show a secret - even from the cast. Nothing has changed - we just live in a different era, we're used to getting the goods beforehand, and when we don't get the goods, we can seek out the goods online. But Twin Peaks is a different beast, and the complainers should just accept fact as fact. Showtime is doing everything it can to promote the show with hands tied, and I'd say they're doing the best they can. We're less than a month away and I believe the trailer that dropped today is the last piece of major marketing before the new series airs. It's amazing in this era of spoilers and leaks that we don't know what the hell we're going to get on May 21st. There is no 'precedent' of what is arguably the most original/influential show in television history returning 25 + years later. Twin Peaks IS and always has played by its own rules. I can only imagine how pissed people are going to be when the new show airs, all 18 parts, and we're left with more questions than answers.
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

Mordeen wrote:
NightTimeMyTime wrote:The trees in the end is exactly the kind of atmosphere based single shot I could expect and hope for, only a month away from the real deal. Ok, I looked really close for maybe a final twist behind some tree or something...
Are you sure you didn't miss something?
FB_IMG_1492803174450.jpg
-Mordeen
Image Image Image
NightTimeMyTime
Roadhouse Member

Re: RE: Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by NightTimeMyTime »

Ross wrote:
Audrey Horne wrote:For Annie, I have a theory but will wait until the premiere airs, and we have more of a sense of the tone. I think this series is really going to focus on personal journeys and becoming whole again. Not just with Cooper. Many of the characters will be between two worlds... Sometimes metaphysical, dream worlds, while others being more broken parts of their former selves in the literal world. One month!
I think you're spot on. People's journeys as well as the passage of time.
Interesting! Yeah, for example if Cooper is bearing one perspective of the events from the past, a lot of people (Laura, Leland, Annie, Jacques, Maddie, Teresa Banks etc.) seems to hang loose between both living and dead. And those could perhaps haunt Cooper or someone else from the spirit world into their living state, or into Cooper's living state as hinself or as BOB. Maybe a living Leland is haunted by those he killed "in another life" and so is Cooper. Or something else.

No matter how I am laying out theories by structure, they seem so unlike Lynch though. The thing I feel most certain about is the open theory that everything will play out as a big psychedelic circus ride without straight lines and threads. "The threads will be torn", no matter how I try to structure things. And that's the magic of surrealism - you can't structure everything out in patterns and connections. I better just keep my analytical mind shut and enjoy the circus instead. Experience it fully in the now.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

Anyone else doing the rewatch? I just noticed something...

In Episode 1, when Doc Hayward is describing the autopsy to Coop and Harry, he says Laura had sex with at least three men the night of her murder. Leo and Jacques, obviously. But are we now to believe that Leland/Bob also raped Laura that night? If so, it wasn't depicted in FWWM and it makes me wonder whether he raped her before or after her death.
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Once this is all over I would hope whomever is responsible for this marketing strategy to explain said strategy.

At any rate, none of us know why by but that doesn't stop a lot of you from rationalizing.
You've got me there. I can't think of a single reason for an extreme level of secrecy/mystery, just can't for the life of me see how that might benefit this show. I don't know why they did it in 1990 either.