NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Xavi
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Xavi »

N. Needleman wrote:Are you guys just now realizing that elements of Cooper's investigation and its resolution do not (and do not have to) make real-world sense and do not follow standard gritty TV police procedure

I knew that when I was 9 years old and I was cool with it
We all know that it is a huge mistake to think that because of other-worldly techniques, spiritual methods and dream-logic, the story does not have to be consistent. Mr Lynch normally uses paramount logic to construct his narrative. In every detail it shows that he had to reveal the killer in Twin Peaks. Just saying.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Re: RE: Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by mtsi »

AXX°N N. wrote:
mtsi wrote:To me, Leland/BOB was wreckless after Maddie's murder because he was post orgasmic/euphoric.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Then why wouldn't he be after killing Laura? Because he had to hand over the Garmonbozia?
We didn't see him after. The scene in the black lodge is seemingly afterwards but we don't know the time span.

We live inside a dream.
watergateburglar

Post by watergateburglar »

Everything in Twin Peaks is dreamlike, half remembered dream esque. Usually in dreams, you are looking for something, or you're lost somewhere, and you can't find the thing you need, or where you're trying to get to, and you fall off the path, there's lots of distractions. Everything is out of reach. I think that's why Laura Palmer's murder was meant to be left unresolved for several seasons, to capture that subconcious quality.

Regarding reality, if Cooper was as smart and intuitive as presented, Leland would have been arrested in 24-48 hours. The persons closest to the victims are the most scrutinized by investigators, and all the prostitution, drugs, stuff that Laura was involved in fits in with someone who has been molested. Also, the AB negative blood type of Leland's would have been something a District Attorney would be pointing to, and demanded an arrest, if it were a match.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

This.

We live inside a dream.
ScibenX

Post by ScibenX »

bob_wooler wrote:I'm sure this don't mean anything, but you never know.
I've always had a sneaking suspicion (aka desperate hope) we'd still somehow get Michael Ontkean, and this is just fuel to the fire. Why would Showtime release a promotional clip like this if the character is to be recast or replaced? Here's hoping for an Annie supercut next...
Major Briggs
RR Diner Member

Post by Major Briggs »

ScibenX wrote:
I've always had a sneaking suspicion (aka desperate hope) we'd still somehow get Michael Ontkean, and this is just fuel to the fire. Why would Showtime release a promotional clip like this if the character is to be recast or replaced? Here's hoping for an Annie supercut next...
Because the promo is for the original series reruns
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

I don't know what's safe to say (even in generalities) regarding potential discrepancies between the cast list, public statements and whether or not folks not appearing on the cast list have been confirmed. Hell, I'm not sure if it's ok to even speak to whether or not actors who either declined or died had parts written for them.

However, what we know as a fact is that Ontkean was approached and declined. When asked directly if he would be involved he said "I'm not going to Washington." However, they didn't just film in Washington. Furthermore, there's no proof that a small camera crew wasn't taken to Hawaii to shoot where he's more comfortable, or that he wasn't flown in to L.A. to the Rancho Rosa sound stages to do some quick filming. There are only a small few OG Twin Peaks actors we can be certain are not involved, and Ontkean is not one of them.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Mordeen wrote:I don't know what's safe to say (even in generalities) regarding potential discrepancies between the cast list, public statements and whether or not folks not appearing on the cast list have been confirmed. Hell, I'm not sure if it's ok to even speak to whether or not actors who either declined or died had parts written for them.

However, what we know as a fact is that Ontkean was approached and declined. When asked directly if he would be involved he said "I'm not going to Washington." However, they didn't just film in Washington. Furthermore, there's no proof that a small camera crew wasn't taken to Hawaii to shoot where he's more comfortable, or that he wasn't flown in to L.A. to the Rancho Rosa sound stages to do some quick filming. There are only a small few OG Twin Peaks actors we can be certain are not involved, and Ontkean is not one of them.

-Mordeen
If I was a betting man, I would say him and Heather Graham are going to make appearances. I'm pretty confident about it. I don't know if I'd bet on a top secret Bowie appearance, but here's hopin'!
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

kitty666cats wrote:
Mordeen wrote:I don't know what's safe to say (even in generalities) regarding potential discrepancies between the cast list, public statements and whether or not folks not appearing on the cast list have been confirmed. Hell, I'm not sure if it's ok to even speak to whether or not actors who either declined or died had parts written for them.

-Mordeen
If I was a betting man, I would say him and Heather Graham are going to make appearances. I'm pretty confident about it. I don't know if I'd bet on a top secret Bowie appearance, but here's hopin'!
If I were also a betting man, I'd see your Ontkean and Graham and raise you a Bowie, Isaak and Sutherland, also in hopes that their participation was kept secret. I want all the Agents, even Earle. Windom would make a great statue in the lodge, or maybe have him turned into a human brazier since his head was on fire last time we saw him.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

I'm not a huge fan of Earle but I agree about the rest. I wouldn't worry too much about Annie... it's so obvious why they can't include her on the cast list. She's the only one that is directly connected to the plot/cliffhanger of the last episode and mentioning her would be a spoiler in itself.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

If either Ontkean or Graham make an appearance, they didn't just keep it a secret from the public. They would have had to keep them a secret secret.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
BEARisonFord
RR Diner Member

Post by BEARisonFord »

watergateburglar wrote:Everything in Twin Peaks is dreamlike, half remembered dream esque. Usually in dreams, you are looking for something, or you're lost somewhere, and you can't find the thing you need, or where you're trying to get to, and you fall off the path, there's lots of distractions. Everything is out of reach. I think that's why Laura Palmer's murder was meant to be left unresolved for several seasons, to capture that subconcious quality.

Regarding reality, if Cooper was as smart and intuitive as presented, Leland would have been arrested in 24-48 hours. The persons closest to the victims are the most scrutinized by investigators, and all the prostitution, drugs, stuff that Laura was involved in fits in with someone who has been molested. Also, the AB negative blood type of Leland's would have been something a District Attorney would be pointing to, and demanded an arrest, if it were a match.
I concur, but also think it has more to do with the fact that Twin Peaks pre-dated a lot of the benchmark realistic procedural television shows by years. I just don't think it was a priority for the writers (or network television writing in general) to be scrutinizing how an investigation like this would have actually played out in the real world. As N. Needleman says, this is something I was always more or less aware of. If we were holding this to any sort of real-life procedural standard, it'd be quite clear that Dale Cooper was the worst FBI agent to ever be sworn in.
Agent327
Roadhouse Member

Post by Agent327 »

Major Briggs wrote:
ScibenX wrote:
Because the promo is for the original series reruns
Exactly. Makes sense as a funny little compilation for the old series, which it specifically promotes.

The "bromance" just happens to be perfect fodder for that sort of promo in it's tone.

People tend to read a lot into these type of choices, assuming it reveals something about the new series.

The same thing happened on a video podcast recently (Obnoxious and Anonymous) where they were utterly shocked that in the 40 minute PEN Documentary, one of Ontkean's former roles were briefly mentioned, when among others he was talked about as an actor during that retrospective part dealing with the old series. According to the podcast hosts, this HAD to mean that he is in the new series. There was no other possible explanations. It is this kind of false analysis that tends to happen, when everybody is too eager to speculate and too reluctant to think first.

Think of it this way.....for that "Bromance" clip to make ANY sense in relation to the upcoming series, Ontkean would have to have, not a small role, but a major role. Let's pretend that it didn't even specify that this is a promo for the old reruns, it would then make absolutely no sense as any kind of promo/hype for just a small insignificant cameo appearance.

I feel that Ontkean could technically pop up in the show, as could a number of other surprises, but it would be unrelated to that compilation.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

It's not a commercial for the reruns.. not for s3.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

It's not a commercial but it is still connected to the reruns, it says "back to back episodes" at the end... just another compilation video showcasing the most important aspects of the old show... coffee, sweets, the ladies... and Coop&Harry. The selection sounds legit to me, too bad the videos themselves are bad :roll:
So I don't think it means anything. I hope that one day we'll get a chance to ask Frost exactly what it was that they greenlit marketing-wise VS what was all Showtime.
Think of it this way.....for that "Bromance" clip to make ANY sense in relation to the upcoming series, Ontkean would have to have, not a small role, but a major role. Let's pretend that it didn't even specify that this is a promo for the old reruns, it would then make absolutely no sense as any kind of promo/hype for just a small insignificant cameo appearance.
(again, I don't think the video means anything, I'm just playing devil's advocate for a second)
I imagine that most people imagining an Annie appearance would picture a brief but meaningful cameo. Why couldn't the same be true for Harry? Who's to say his potential cameo would certainly be insignificant?
If, as TSHOTP seems to imply, the current Sheriff is Frank, then we're in for 18 hours of assorted characters saying Sheriff Truman here, Sheriff Truman there. I don't know what L+F mean to accomplish by that, but one thing's for sure: it's gonna be a constant bittersweet reminder, a sting of nostalgia. Just like this video!
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.