NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by nonemoreblack »

I'm going to try and watch all 4 in one go. I'm worried about accidentally being spoiled since I won't be able to avoid the internet.

I know this is months old, but some pages back there was a discussion about Audrey/Cooper/Annie which stemmed from some controversial Sherilyn Fenn tweets which aren't there anymore. I was surprised to see how many people only really see Cooper and Laura's characters as being important and didn't care about Audrey's character or Cooper's relationship with her. For me, while Cooper is my favourite character, I always felt his scenes with Audrey were the heart of the show. And I don't think I'd love Twin Peaks quite as much without her.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

nonemoreblack wrote:I'm going to try and watch all 4 in one go. I'm worried about accidentally being spoiled since I won't be able to avoid the internet.

I know this is months old, but some pages back there was a discussion about Audrey/Cooper/Annie which stemmed from some controversial Sherilyn Fenn tweets which aren't there anymore. I was surprised to see how many people only really see Cooper and Laura's characters as being important and didn't care about Audrey's character or Cooper's relationship with her. For me, while Cooper is my favourite character, I always felt his scenes with Audrey were the heart of the show. And I don't think I'd love Twin Peaks quite as much without her.
Maybe stylistically (to some extent), but story- and dramatic-wise, Cooper & Audrey were never, as you put it, "the heart of the show". Maybe they were intended to become such, at one point, but that didn't go down for various reasons. Instead, we got Annie (& Cooper). And she's very much become the heart of the show in the last few episodes and in the last one most especially.
nonemoreblack
RR Diner Member

Post by nonemoreblack »

I disagree. Their interactions always stood out to me as being different to the other romance subplots. They felt more real, in part because they didn't fall into a romance and immediately sleep with each other. When they completely stopped interacting with each other I think the show lost something special. I could never see Annie as the heart of TP. I didn't care about her at all, and it was obvious she was created purely for Cooper to love her and save her. I also didn't like the way Cooper acted around Annie as it seemed out of character and made him boring.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

nonemoreblack wrote:I disagree. Their interactions always stood out to me as being different to the other romance subplots. They felt more real, in part because they didn't fall into a romance and immediately sleep with each other. When they completely stopped interacting with each other I think the show lost something special. I could never see Annie as the heart of TP. I didn't care about her at all, and it was obvious she was created purely for Cooper to love her and save her. I also didn't like the way Cooper acted around Annie as it seemed out of character and made him boring.
Yeah, for me too, it felt like Cooper and Audrey were meant to expose a very profound aspect of Love that transcends the ordinary and preserves innocence. So sad that theme was killed by an ego conflict of some actress.

Anyhow, let's reach out for the continuation of this strange and wonderful world of Twin Peaks in season 3.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

nonemoreblack wrote:I disagree. Their interactions always stood out to me as being different to the other romance subplots. They felt more real, in part because they didn't fall into a romance and immediately sleep with each other. When they completely stopped interacting with each other I think the show lost something special. I could never see Annie as the heart of TP. I didn't care about her at all, and it was obvious she was created purely for Cooper to love her and save her. I also didn't like the way Cooper acted around Annie as it seemed out of character and made him boring.
But I don't see how what you're saying disputes my claim that Annie was, for better or worse, more important a character for the (main) storyline than Audrey ever was (especially in retrospect, when you look at the concluded series and the movie as a whole). That's not just my subjective projections and wishes, you only have to watch the series and the evolvement of its plot(s) to see it. We as viewers might like or not like a certain character, but his/her place in the story stands outside our personal preferences.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

nonemoreblack wrote: I also didn't like the way Cooper acted around Annie as it seemed out of character and made him boring.
Messing around with a high-schooler, on the other hand, would be my definition of "out-of-character" when it comes to one Dale B. Cooper.
Xavi
RR Diner Member

Post by Xavi »

Agent Earle wrote:
nonemoreblack wrote: I also didn't like the way Cooper acted around Annie as it seemed out of character and made him boring.
Messing around with a high-schooler, on the other hand, would be my definition of "out-of-character" when it comes to one Dale B. Cooper.
Cooper did not mess around. He was tempted but he could resist.
Agent Earle
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Earle »

Xavi wrote:
Agent Earle wrote:
Cooper did not mess around. He was tempted but he could resist.
Exactly. Hence the very believable termination of the Cooper-Audrey romance, influenced by the off-screen shenanigans or not.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

Xavi wrote:
Yeah, for me too, it felt like Cooper and Audrey were meant to expose a very profound aspect of Love that transcends the ordinary and preserves innocence. So sad that theme was killed by an ego conflict of some actress.

Anyhow, let's reach out for the continuation of this strange and wonderful world of Twin Peaks in season 3.
I agree with your opinions about Coops and Audreys relation (or lack thereof), but let's not kid ourselves, as a matter of fact it wasn't what Lynch and Frost had in mind! They indeed wanted Coop and Audrey together. The deviation from the ordinary is nothing but a happy accident, and LFB was the reason for it.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

DirkG wrote:
Xavi wrote:

I agree with your opinions about Coops and Audreys relation (or lack thereof), but let's not kid ourselves, as a matter of fact it wasn't what Lynch and Frost had in mind! They indeed wanted Coop and Audrey together. The deviation from the ordinary is nothing but a happy accident, and LFB was the reason for it.
And MacLachlan, who's the one who went through with it and still stands by his choice.
They are wanted them to smooch and that's a known fact ("consummate their relationship" even, in Peyton's words iirc), but what that was going to mean for the characters, we may never know for sure. I do, however, think that the upcoming episodes may retroactively shed some light on their views. If it was intended as a pure and profound love, ain't nothing barring it from happening now.
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

marchug wrote:
Rainwater wrote:
Ross wrote:I still wish they weren't dropping 4 episodes on day one.
I agree, but maybe there's a good reason for it.
That 'good reason' being to sell more Showtime subscriptions? It seems that they are only showing two episodes if you aren't subscribed (or like me - moved from the USA to Canada and haven't quite figured out how/what I am supposed to do). So that seems like there being a 'good reason' is pretty much the farthest thing from the real motivation. Sadly. :(
You can't watch any episodes if you're not subscribed.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

Part of me feels like the main reason for the four-hour drop is that they have to do SOMETHING out of the ordinary to justify all that guff about an unconventional release, even though it was clear they were never going to do any of the radical stuff people were imagining when they started in with the "we're ruling nothing out" hype.
dkenny78
RR Diner Member

Post by dkenny78 »

I know it's confirmed that the new season will premiere on May 21, and that the first two weeks of linear broadcast will consist of the first four hours/episodes (Eps 1 and 2 on May 21, Eps 3 and 4 on May 28). I believe it's also been confirmed that, after this initial two-week/four-hour bow, the series will broadcast one episode a week.

But has it been confirmed that those remaining 14 episodes will run straight through on consecutive weeks with no break? My suspicion is YES, otherwise they wouldn't front load the episodes like that. But 16 uninterrupted weeks is a rarity in TV these days. Most cable scripted series don't run for more than 12-13 episodes a season - Heck, even network TV series don't usually run new episodes for 16 weeks in a row!
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

They haven't confirmed anything like that but I personally don't expect a break.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

Seeing a promo for Fire Walk With Me on Showtime last night got me giddy over a movie I've seen so many times I can't even count. It's really starting to sink in that in just over three months, years of faithful yet melancholy torch bearing for Twin Peaks will finally pay off.

And then before I know it, it'll be over forever. What a ride it's been.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .