NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by Mordeen »

saygoodbyetojack wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:Interesting. Admittedly, I'll be disappointed if she doesn't show up in some capacity, even though it sure seemed like she kicked the bucket in the bank vault blast. Maybe she is just upset about how small her role is? I honestly don't follow her or MJA's shenanigans too closely, so I'm not real sure what her perceived beef with the production is.
I mainly put it here to draw attention to it in the hopes that somebody knows what she means by this. It could be interpreted many ways. Her social media form is very headache inducing.

-Mordeen

I just took it to be another nod to how much the character means to her, sharing a pic stating how much Audrey means to another major character etc

Just saw your tweet to Ray Wise by the way. Absolutely brilliant ha ha
A small victory. . .
Ray Wise Tweet.jpg
Ray Wise Tweet.jpg (83.96 KiB) Viewed 9272 times
-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
FauxOwl
RR Diner Member

Post by FauxOwl »

FormicaTable wrote:
On a related bonkers social media note, anyone know what happened to Little Mike on Facebook? His page seems to have vanished. At least I think it has. The only Michael J Anderson I see on there now has a very stripped down page, so either it's him and he deleted most of his previous posts, or he dropped his account. While I don't take pleasure in seeing anyone's mental demise, I have to admit that his posts were morbidly fascinating.
He's still active on his artist page if you are so inclined to read anti-semitic rants about how insulted he was he wasn't offered millions to reprise his role.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

Sherilyn Fenn honestly seems bipolar when it comes to her tweeting. 90% of her tweets are about god and the rest about Audrey, sometimes lashing out at the producers of the show. Odd.
The cow jumped over the moon.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Mordeen wrote:
saygoodbyetojack wrote:
Mordeen wrote: I mainly put it here to draw attention to it in the hopes that somebody knows what she means by this. It could be interpreted many ways. Her social media form is very headache inducing.

-Mordeen

I just took it to be another nod to how much the character means to her, sharing a pic stating how much Audrey means to another major character etc

A small victory. . .

Ray Wise Tweet.jpg

-Mordeen
HAHA! Fantastic stuff! Glad Ray loved it. :)
FormicaTable
Roadhouse Member

Post by FormicaTable »

FauxOwl wrote:
FormicaTable wrote:
On a related bonkers social media note, anyone know what happened to Little Mike on Facebook? His page seems to have vanished. At least I think it has. The only Michael J Anderson I see on there now has a very stripped down page, so either it's him and he deleted most of his previous posts, or he dropped his account. While I don't take pleasure in seeing anyone's mental demise, I have to admit that his posts were morbidly fascinating.
He's still active on his artist page if you are so inclined to read anti-semitic rants about how insulted he was he wasn't offered millions to reprise his role.
Nevermind...I seem to have found it. :|
saygoodbyetojack
Roadhouse Member

Post by saygoodbyetojack »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Mordeen wrote:
saygoodbyetojack wrote:

A small victory. . .

Ray Wise Tweet.jpg

-Mordeen
HAHA! Fantastic stuff! Glad Ray loved it. :)
legendary stuff Mordeen ha ha ha
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

Mordeen, go make avatars for a living.

> Sherilyn Fenn.
I think it was obvious from her first tantrum rage that she was getting less screen time than she initially expected, looks like now she found a way to express that in public without actually breaking an NDA.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

Let's stay on topic.

What MJA or Fenn post on social media is off topic. Take it to the off topic forum if you must.

Thanks.
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

LateReg wrote:
mtwentz wrote:
LateReg wrote:
So, no credits until the final episode? It has always been my dream that some show would only have one opening credits sequence at the beginning of the first episode and then one closing credits sequence at the very end of the final episode. I've always wanted to watch a show like a movie, where the final scene of one episode will flow directly into the first scene of the next episode without pause while binge watching on blu ray, but the credits are always getting in the way and breaking that movie like flow.
That may be a possibility, but I am not sure. Some of it might be governed by the Screen Actors Guild?

Some of these streaming services now have features that automatically bypass opening credits and ending credits, so the poor folks that work so hard on these productions hardly get anyone looking at their names anymore. However, with IMDB and the Internet, maybe credits rolling across the screen are just not as important as they used to be. When I want to know who worked on a film or show, I usually go straight to IMDB.
But is that how The OA is? Is that what you meant? Or did you mean credits only at the end of each episode?
My understanding (from what I've read online) is that the first episode does not have any credits until the end of the episode.

SAG/PGA/WGA/etc. are definitely a factor. I know 'Breaking Bad' had to get special dispensations from every guild/union to delay the opening credits until 20 minutes in to the "Ozymandias" episode to avoid ruining the suspense of the opening scenes. Guessing 'The OA' did something similar. I don't think there's any way they'd get away with saving all credits until the end of the series.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Yes, the OA did it very weird indeed. They waited until 10 minutes BEFORE the ending, then ended ABRUPTLY at the 'end.' Was weird and somehow affecting.
We live inside a dream.
Rudagger
RR Diner Member

Post by Rudagger »

Dead Dog wrote:However, they served an important role in the original series by helping transport us into that world and I think they'd be there this time to function in the same way. I predict that there will be an opening credit sequence of some type and that it will serve a purpose, unlike the overwrought and boring sequences of current hits like Game of Thrones or True Detective.
Er .. I mean, you could describe all three of those in the same way, all three of those shows have opening credits that serve the function of pulling you into the world (Twin Peaks via images of the town, Game of Thrones via the model map, and True Detective via it's vibrant imagery).

I love all three opening credits personally (well, True Detective had two), but, I find it a bit silly for someone to call Game of Thrones/True Detectives openings 'boring' when Twin Peaks' opening credits runs a minute longer than either of them (based on Youtube times, at least). I think you're showing your Twin Peaks fan sleeve a tad too much. True Detective's push through a lot of imagery of thematic devices, with some really stunning design work, and Game of Thrones is very functional; it shows a map for a fictional world. I think this really helped people in early seasons, when Westeros wasn't nearly as well known as something like Middle Earth.

The Twin Peaks opening, as cozy as it is, is downright glacial by most standards, and compared to most modern television lasts a lifetime (Better Call Saul's opening title credits are like 5 second long title cards). Yeah, sure it's a mood piece to pull you in, but, again, Game of Thrones and True Detective are no different in that aspect.
Soolsma
Bookhouse Member

Post by Soolsma »

I'm guessing we'll have a new, shorter intro, with the same themes and style as the old one.
Carrie Page: "It's a long way... In those days, I was too young to know any better."
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Is there a specific date except obligatory 24th February we should keep our eyes on? I crave for a new trailer or teaser.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

Rudagger wrote:
Dead Dog wrote:However, they served an important role in the original series by helping transport us into that world and I think they'd be there this time to function in the same way. I predict that there will be an opening credit sequence of some type and that it will serve a purpose, unlike the overwrought and boring sequences of current hits like Game of Thrones or True Detective.
Er .. I mean, you could describe all three of those in the same way, all three of those shows have opening credits that serve the function of pulling you into the world (Twin Peaks via images of the town, Game of Thrones via the model map, and True Detective via it's vibrant imagery).

I love all three opening credits personally (well, True Detective had two), but, I find it a bit silly for someone to call Game of Thrones/True Detectives openings 'boring' when Twin Peaks' opening credits runs a minute longer than either of them (based on Youtube times, at least). I think you're showing your Twin Peaks fan sleeve a tad too much. True Detective's push through a lot of imagery of thematic devices, with some really stunning design work, and Game of Thrones is very functional; it shows a map for a fictional world. I think this really helped people in early seasons, when Westeros wasn't nearly as well known as something like Middle Earth.

The Twin Peaks opening, as cozy as it is, is downright glacial by most standards, and compared to most modern television lasts a lifetime (Better Call Saul's opening title credits are like 5 second long title cards). Yeah, sure it's a mood piece to pull you in, but, again, Game of Thrones and True Detective are no different in that aspect.
I don't think the run time or length of something is what makes it boring. I've seen 90 minutes movies that were a slog and 3 hour movies that were a delight, because of what was contained in their run times. Twin Peaks opening function in setting the mood. It says, among other things, "this show is going to be slower than what you're used to." It sets a mood. We know immediately the importance of the saw mill and the waterfall. We see the natural elements of fire, earth, water, and air and are subconsciously made aware of their importance. Those other two openings don't do that (I guess TD tries). I'll give you that GoT at least has a functionality to it, as it does help with geography, but it could have done that in thirty seconds instead of two minutes. The True Detective opening is a complete waste of time. It's just stock, unimaginative "Southern Gothic" imagery out of some book at my daughter's elementary school library with an all too obvious edgy hillbilly theme song to boot. It's a subjective thing of course, and I appreciate your admiration of it and all, but once you start calling my opinions "silly", I feel like I have to answer in a more thorough and personal way so that you can at least understand my thought process, get a glimpse into my silliness.
Last edited by Dead Dog on Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

Dunno if anyone else is still hung up on Vedder's "a drunk octopus wants to fight" line, a friend googled it and it turns out it's a vintage meme http://weknowmemes.com/2011/10/drunk-oc ... fight-you/
A mystery wrapped in an enigma :lol:
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.