NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by ForKeeps »

Jerry Horne wrote:Nevins said "version".

The series, which will clock in at 18 hours and was entirely directed by Lynch, will have a two-hour premiere, with weekly episodes following that. “We’ve seen the whole thing,” Showtime CEO David Nevins told the Television Critics Association on Monday. “It’s the pure heroin version of David Lynch.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/art ... 5715e0bd74
not that it matters but some people at the event tweeted out that he said "pure heroin version of Twin Peaks."
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

N. Needleman wrote:Granted I was very young, but I really don't remember James (or Donna) garnering the kind of hate back in the day as he did in later years. That's a modern concern in later generations, and I think all Lynch cares about are his concepts of the characters and performers, including James Marshall, his James Dean-as-Hurley who was really at his best when in Lynch's hands. I am actually pretty interested in what he has in mind for the sad-eyed young beautiful boy who has aged out.
Yes exactly! "Sad-eyed young beautiful boy who has aged out", what a beautiful way to put it. I'm very excited to see what they have in store for all the old kids, but James especially. I want him to make it (moreso when I remember his 'accomplishment' here, poor kid), I want him to show his full potential, virtues and flaws.
And ditto on L+F doing what they want. If some of it will end up feeling self-indulgent, it will be because they literally indulged themselves, not the rest of us. If our tastes match theirs, great; if not, (shrug emoji).
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Here Comes That Bob
RR Diner Member

Post by Here Comes That Bob »

Hopefully we see return of James's beautiful falsetto aswell :)
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

The series, which will clock in at 18 hours and was entirely directed by Lynch, will have a two-hour premiere, with weekly episodes following that. “We’ve seen the whole thing,” Showtime CEO David Nevins told the Television Critics Association on Monday. “It’s the pure heroin version of David Lynch.”

Then quite a number of people must've reported it wrong. The quotes I've read have said "vision".
The cow jumped over the moon.
Mr. Jackpots
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Jackpots »

N. Needleman wrote:Granted I was very young, but I really don't remember James (or Donna) garnering the kind of hate back in the day as he did in later years. That's a modern concern in later generations, and I think all Lynch cares about are his concepts of the characters and performers, including James Marshall, his James Dean-as-Hurley who was really at his best when in Lynch's hands. I am actually pretty interested in what he has in mind for the sad-eyed young beautiful boy who has aged out.

I really hoping the character James is redeemed in the new Series. In the original series his character started off pretty strong and was interesting. But as the series went on, the subplots they gave him were really bad. Like really really bad. I found him so obnoxious. Just such a wimpy cry baby. And his treatment in FWWM not so great either.

Here's hoping he is now a real tough guy. Maybe the leader of a local biker gang or something. Dealing drugs and pimping prostitutes.
douglasb
RR Diner Member

Post by douglasb »

Conversely, I can see something more melancholy. People leading out quiet lives in a nowhere town, haunted by events 25 years previous.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I don't think I ever hated the characters. But they were part of a plot I didn't care. I find it ironic that the writers insisted in keeping James and Donna inseparable and the only time Donna had an interesting plot was when she distanced herself from him, with Harold (my opinion of course).

I'm not very familiar with James Marshall's work outside of TP, and I don't want to sound bitchy, I think he's a very sweet guy, but at least in TP I don't think he gave such a great performance. If that was his best, then well...lol

Ok, I'm done with the James and Donna discussion, no need for "stay in topic" warnings :wink:
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Pöllö wrote:

Then quite a number of people must've reported it wrong. The quotes I've read have said "vision".
The confusion originates, I believe, from the Guardian UK who incorrectly said vision.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I have to admit, I'm interested in how much of the old music they will use. There is a huge library to choose from. Besides the two main themes, I'm hoping Dark Mood Woods is used again.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Jerry Horne wrote:I have to admit, I'm interested in how much of the old music they will use. There is a huge library to choose from. Besides the two main themes, I'm hoping Dark Mood Woods is used again.
Yes! I've been saying that for a while now. It's such an amazingly moody and criminally underused track. I believe it's been used only in Ep. 29 and in FWWM/Missing Pieces.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Ironically, we hear it first outside of an episode:

Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

Dark Mood Woods should definitely be back. I have a feeling it will.
The cow jumped over the moon.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Wasn't Dark Mood Woods written specifically for episode 29?

In any case, my favourite Badalamenti piece from Twin Peaks. It definitely should be back.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Dalai Cooper
RR Diner Member

Post by Dalai Cooper »

djerdap wrote:Wasn't Dark Mood Woods written specifically for episode 29?

In any case, my favourite Badalamenti piece from Twin Peaks. It definitely should be back.
Yeah it's amazing. Going off your question, does anyone know exactly how much lead time they had with ep29? I guess because of the improvisatory nature of the red room scenes I've always assumed it was fairly seat-of-the-pants, which if true makes it very impressive that David & Angelo managed to write and record a song with Jimmy Smith in time! Or was there another one of the famous hiatuses before this ep?
bob_wooler
RR Diner Member

Post by bob_wooler »

Apart from some new character themes (Becky Brennan Theme perhaps? :mrgreen: ) i hope they use as much of the old music as possible. In addition to the already mentioned (and other obvious ones from the OST), I personally hope for Abstract Mood, Sneaky Audrey (Audrey's Investigation), Birds In Hell, parts of the Culmination, Audrey's Prayer, Teresa's Autopsy/It's Your Father, mood pieces like that. Also, getting a scene with Cherubini's Requiem in C minor again would be awesome.