NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by ForKeeps »

I think actors view things very differently than we do. It's the "doing of the thing", as Lynch would say, that gives them their joy. And Miguel got to do that, and the fact that Twin Peaks was the last thing he did was probably very special for him.
dronerstone
RR Diner Member

Post by dronerstone »

Don't know why, but u had to think of Raul Julia - famous for playing Gomez Addams, but his last starring role was M. Bison in a rather mediocre "Street Fighter" movie. Poor guy.

Can't wait to see Miguel in season 3. I certainly hope Albert's humor will be back. ;)
Last edited by dronerstone on Sat Jan 21, 2017 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I think I'll lose it if there's a scene with Catherine Coulson and Miguel Ferrer together.

:cry:
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

To try and distract myself from the gloomier thoughts - what if Coop's odyssey back to Twin Peaks isn't linear? à la Jeffries...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

laughingpinecone wrote:To try and distract myself from the gloomier thoughts - what if Coop's odyssey back to Twin Peaks isn't linear? à la Jeffries...
That could be the case. The new show was called "pure heroin vision of David Lynch" - maybe we go back and forward in the timeline.
The cow jumped over the moon.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Pöllö wrote:
laughingpinecone wrote:To try and distract myself from the gloomier thoughts - what if Coop's odyssey back to Twin Peaks isn't linear? à la Jeffries...
That could be the case. The new show was called "pure heroin vision of David Lynch" - maybe we go back and forward in the timeline.
Was it VISION, or VERSION?

I really honestly have no idea what to make of that quote. The Showtime guy could just be talking out of his ass.

I hope the touch of Mark Frost is also abundant throughout this show. I have this kinda controversial theory that Mark Frost is the unsung hero of Twin Peaks. Casual viewers never give him enough credit. I'm one of those people who probably enjoys the TV show more than the movie, and I'm assuming that Mark Frost probably has something to do with it...
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

kitty666cats wrote:
Pöllö wrote:

I really honestly have no idea what to make of that quote. The Showtime guy could just be talking out of his ass.

I hope the touch of Mark Frost is also abundant throughout this show. I have this kinda controversial theory that Mark Frost is the unsung hero of Twin Peaks. Casual viewers never give him enough credit. I'm one of those people who probably enjoys the TV show more than the movie, and I'm assuming that Mark Frost probably has something to do with it...
It was vision.

I get what you mean. I hope that they work in sync - both contribute in their own ways. Nothing wrong with enjoying the show more than the movie, I'm in the same boat. It's the general feeling of the show that captivates you - going from those moments of sheer terror, absurdity, to the diner and quirky humor. I don't have a problem if the show is more in tune with FWWM, but my ultimate preference would be something that resembles the original show, but still has a freshness to it, if that is possible to create, that is.
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

Pöllö wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
Pöllö wrote: That could be the case. The new show was called "pure heroin vision of David Lynch" - maybe we go back and forward in the timeline.

It was vision.

I get what you mean. I hope that they work in sync - both contribute in their own ways. Nothing wrong with enjoying the show more than the movie, I'm in the same boat. It's the general feeling of the show that captivates you - going from those moments of sheer terror, absurdity, to the diner and quirky humor. I don't have a problem if the show is more in tune with FWWM, but my ultimate preference would be something that resembles the original show, but still has a freshness to it, if that is possible to create, that is.
I agree. I doubt they will go full-on the FWWM route. If they care about trying to please the largest amount of viewers possible, they will try to keep the feeling of the TV show at least in some capacity. We'll see! Only a few more excruciatingly long-feeling months to go :D
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

Nevins said "version".

The series, which will clock in at 18 hours and was entirely directed by Lynch, will have a two-hour premiere, with weekly episodes following that. “We’ve seen the whole thing,” Showtime CEO David Nevins told the Television Critics Association on Monday. “It’s the pure heroin version of David Lynch.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/art ... 5715e0bd74
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

kitty666cats wrote:
Pöllö wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:

It was vision.

I agree. I doubt they will go full-on the FWWM route. If they care about trying to please the largest amount of viewers possible, they will try to keep the feeling of the TV show at least in some capacity. We'll see! Only a few more excruciatingly long-feeling months to go :D
It wouldn't make sense if it went full-on FWWM, since Frost is on board and I'm sure that he will want to chime in. Also, many actors that had 'lighthearted' roles in the original show are coming back. The wait is almost over, I couldn't be more excited.
Adolphus
Roadhouse Member

Post by Adolphus »

Pöllö wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
Pöllö wrote: It was vision.

It wouldn't make sense if it went full-on FWWM, since Frost is on board and I'm sure that he will want to chime in. Also, many actors that had 'lighthearted' roles in the original show are coming back. The wait is almost over, I couldn't be more excited.
I think the thing to keep in mind is that the new season won't be like the first two seasons- it will be something different. What that will be- I guess we'll find out when it airs.
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

Adolphus wrote:
Pöllö wrote:
kitty666cats wrote:
I think the thing to keep in mind is that the new season won't be like the first two seasons- it will be something different. What that will be- I guess we'll find out when it airs.
Of course! That's the most important thing.

Gah, I wish it would come already. I find myself listening to the soundtrack and looking at the calendar everyday.
indyit
RR Diner Member

Post by indyit »

kitty666cats wrote:

What I've gathered from behind scenes stuff, interviews and podcasts is that Frost had A LOT to do with what twin peaks was in terms of plot and scripta, until season 2 post
Leland he was the day to day runner of the show so he was possibly the biggest component of the plot and scripts. Lynch however set the interpretation and direction of those scripts plus his own input from the start especially and throughout sporadically. Knowing that the show was cowritten by both and solely directed by both suggests this will be us seeing TP at its best minus whatever they've lost in talent over time if anything.

I think it very well could be like fwwm in direction but will be completely different in plot cause it's again the balance between lynch and frost in that regard but will have Lynch's interpretation and direction being the overall look/feel/spontaneity of the show. Fwwm was solely the context around the murder without any of the mystery. Season 3 will not be that. It will be a new mystery mixed with the loose ends from before (primarily re Cooper). That won't play like fwwm but it may have the same direction and because it's cable it will have more explicit content. But it will likely have the humor on it and will be closer to fwwm+missing pieces(which contained more humourous moments that the theater cut lacked.).
laughingpinecone
Great Northern Member

Post by laughingpinecone »

kitty666cats wrote: I agree. I doubt they will go full-on the FWWM route. If they care about trying to please the largest amount of viewers possible, they will try to keep the feeling of the TV show at least in some capacity. We'll see! Only a few more excruciatingly long-feeling months to go :D
If they cared for that, the very last thing they'd do would be to put James front and center, and yet there he is, smack dab in the middle of the second teaser along with other supposed main characters.

Frost also said up front that mortality and "the ruthless passage of time" are major concerns, and his solo effort - hot on the heels of writing season 3 - is a nonlinear narrative which pulls the rug of comforting reliable facts from under our feet...
] The gathered are known by their faces of stone.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Granted I was very young, but I really don't remember James (or Donna) garnering the kind of hate back in the day as he did in later years. That's a modern concern in later generations, and I think all Lynch cares about are his concepts of the characters and performers, including James Marshall, his James Dean-as-Hurley who was really at his best when in Lynch's hands. I am actually pretty interested in what he has in mind for the sad-eyed young beautiful boy who has aged out.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.