NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Re: NO SPOILERS: Twin Peaks Season 3 on Showtime May 21st 2017

Post by N. Needleman »

Yeah, that is a real mindfuck. Almost makes it as real as ACTUAL FOOTAGE WOULD! Come on Lynch!
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

N. Needleman wrote:Yeah, that is a real mindfuck. Almost makes it as real as ACTUAL FOOTAGE WOULD! Come on Lynch!
You don't think the Cooper teaser was actual footage?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

Ross wrote:
N. Needleman wrote:Yeah, that is a real mindfuck. Almost makes it as real as ACTUAL FOOTAGE WOULD! Come on Lynch!
You don't think the Cooper teaser was actual footage?
I don't know. I just need a little more for my mind to really accept that this show is back. Believe it or not it still hasn't hit me.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
AxxoN_Jackson

Post by AxxoN_Jackson »

Personally, plot isn't the main reason why I watch Twin Peaks and other David Lynch projects. Therefore, spoilers don't really matter to me. Even the best, most comprehensive text description of the opening scene will pale in comparison to seeing it on May 21st, shot by David Lynch with an Angelo Badalamenti soundtrack. I was an avid follower of the spoiler thread, and am sad to see it go. It's like finally getting an appetizer after 25 years of waiting for the main course. It pales in comparison, of course, but it prevents you from starving to death, and makes the loooong wait feel that much shorter. I understand the urge to censor and avoid, and that dugpa became a hot spot for others to snoop for tidbits to incorporate into clickbait and podcast discussion, but it feels like the main draw of this site to me, as an admitted lurker, is gone. There's only so much you can re-hash the old questions about who's gonna play BOB, and what Annie is up to. Until the actual marketing machine for Season 3 starts in earnest, of course.

If anyone knows of a message board without the stringent anti-spoiler rules, please PM me. Of course, any newly formed community will lack the well-informed and conversation-frequency level of this board, but what else can I do?

Feel free to lock yourselves into a bunker with the FWWM Blue Rose cut and a copy of The Secret History of Twin Peaks with all the errors marked out, whispering to yourselves "keep the mystery alive."

I'd like to be somewhere that the mystery is kept alive based on actual tidbits of information, not speculation over David Lynch eating a donut.

This is all my two cents, for the record. I understand that 90% of the people on this board don't feel this way.
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

I mean, this forum has been here with a solid user base for years, and it well pre-dates the show's revival (or my emerging from lurkdom when that happened). They're perfectly within their rights to do whatever they want.

Sure, in a perfect world I'd love to be able to talk more about spoilers or have people share pix. But Lynch personally requested the forum stop posting location and set pix when the show began filming in Washington. Not complying with that would be shitty behavior, so Dugpa did and I totally understand it. What's more, these days the walls have ears.

This isn't just a spoiler forum and it never was. If people don't like Dugpa trying to respect the wishes of Lynch/Frost then there's other places to go.
Eater of Iguanas
RR Diner Member

Post by Eater of Iguanas »

ForKeeps wrote:I don't really care about my avatar here. A good old "I told ya so" will be good enough for me.
Spoilsport!
Mr. Reindeer
Lodge Member

Post by Mr. Reindeer »

beano wrote:i just have to say, the most exciting change to the forum to me is the addition of the episode 30 thread that will unlock 5 minutes before it airs.. even though its just sitting there doing nothing, its mere existence excites me to no end.. thank you. i just had to say that.
I'm wondering if they will actually continue the numbering from the original series. IIRC, the season 2 scripts began with "Episode 2.01," "Episode 2.02," etc. early in the season, then eventually switched to using both the season designation AND the series episode number. I wouldn't be surprised if the official numbering for the new season uses the "Episode 3.01" type designation exclusively, given that the season is essentially one long movie in and of itself. Might be another potential avatar bet -- episode titles, episode numbering continuing from the prior run, or a rebooted count starting with #1?
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

This "one long movie" thing got me thinking the other day, and I'm sure this has already come up somewhere here.

Who is planning to watch the whole thing in one 18 hour sitting after the final episode airs (having watched it already week by week)?
kitty666cats
RR Diner Member

Post by kitty666cats »

baxter wrote:This "one long movie" thing got me thinking the other day, and I'm sure this has already come up somewhere here.

Who is planning to watch the whole thing in one 18 hour sitting after the final episode airs (having watched it already week by week)?
I am certainly going to at least TRY to do that very soon after every episode has aired... I'll see if I can do it in one sitting without getting fried. Hopefully will have one or several friends on board who are also keen on the idea!
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Having two kids might scupper it for me.

I'm going to have to do it really elaborately, by pretending I'm going away for work, then creeping round a mates house and watching it.
Dead Dog
RR Diner Member

Post by Dead Dog »

baxter wrote:Having two kids might scupper it for me.

I'm going to have to do it really elaborately, by pretending I'm going away for work, then creeping round a mates house and watching it.
:lol:
I feel your pain my friend. I occasionally will use a vacation day just to stay home and watch TV/films. My friends and wife think that's loser-city, but I don't care, it's the only way to get in a relaxing day of getting lost in other worlds when you have three children.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

N. Needleman wrote:I mean, this forum has been here with a solid user base for years
Indeed - as a peek at the member list will attest, tomorrow turns out to be the 10th anniversary of this incarnation of the board [1].

Happy Birthday, dugpa!

[1] It dates back before that, but folks had to create new accounts when they updated the forum software, IIRC. I miss the old picture of Carl that used to grace the front page.
Panapaok
Bookhouse Member

Post by Panapaok »

Amy Shiels Talks to IFTN about starring in 'Twin Peaks'
IFTN: Talk us through how you came to know David Lynch’s original ‘Twin Peaks’ series—were you always a fan or did it come as part of your research?

Amy: I first saw Twin Peaks just after finishing Cowboys and Angels my cast mate Michael Legge introduced me to it and I was hooked! David Lynch’s work has always made me laugh through my terror - he’s still making me laugh through my terror.

David Lynch creates female characters that are fully rounded. Even the smallest roles have layers and nuance. They are imperfect - as we all are.

What has your experience with long term fans of the show been like since being cast in such a top secret project?

Amy: Twin Peaks fans could not be a more welcoming community of people. I love them - I’m a fan myself.

I was recently at a fan signing at a video game conference in Anaheim signing merchandise for a game I’m in Final Fantasy IV. The creator of the Twin Peaks Festival saw online that I would be there so he traveled down to personally invite me to the Festival this summer. That made me feel very welcome.
This is - excuse me - a damn fine cup of coffee.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

AxxoN_Jackson wrote:Personally, plot isn't the main reason why I watch Twin Peaks and other David Lynch projects. Therefore, spoilers don't really matter to me. Even the best, most comprehensive text description of the opening scene will pale in comparison to seeing it on May 21st, shot by David Lynch with an Angelo Badalamenti soundtrack. I was an avid follower of the spoiler thread, and am sad to see it go. It's like finally getting an appetizer after 25 years of waiting for the main course. It pales in comparison, of course, but it prevents you from starving to death, and makes the loooong wait feel that much shorter. I understand the urge to censor and avoid, and that dugpa became a hot spot for others to snoop for tidbits to incorporate into clickbait and podcast discussion, but it feels like the main draw of this site to me, as an admitted lurker, is gone. There's only so much you can re-hash the old questions about who's gonna play BOB, and what Annie is up to. Until the actual marketing machine for Season 3 starts in earnest, of course.

If anyone knows of a message board without the stringent anti-spoiler rules, please PM me. Of course, any newly formed community will lack the well-informed and conversation-frequency level of this board, but what else can I do?

Feel free to lock yourselves into a bunker with the FWWM Blue Rose cut and a copy of The Secret History of Twin Peaks with all the errors marked out, whispering to yourselves "keep the mystery alive."

I'd like to be somewhere that the mystery is kept alive based on actual tidbits of information, not speculation over David Lynch eating a donut.

This is all my two cents, for the record. I understand that 90% of the people on this board don't feel this way.
I can understand your point but the truth is, that the plot twists to come will heighten the experience. It's not that you can't enjoy the original series, for example, if you know the killer of Laura Palmer ahead of time, but it does heighten the tension to be kept guessing.
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Mr. Reindeer wrote:
beano wrote:i just have to say, the most exciting change to the forum to me is the addition of the episode 30 thread that will unlock 5 minutes before it airs.. even though its just sitting there doing nothing, its mere existence excites me to no end.. thank you. i just had to say that.
I'm wondering if they will actually continue the numbering from the original series. IIRC, the season 2 scripts began with "Episode 2.01," "Episode 2.02," etc. early in the season, then eventually switched to using both the season designation AND the series episode number. I wouldn't be surprised if the official numbering for the new season uses the "Episode 3.01" type designation exclusively, given that the season is essentially one long movie in and of itself. Might be another potential avatar bet -- episode titles, episode numbering continuing from the prior run, or a rebooted count starting with #1?
I have a feeling they won't call it Episode 30 or even Episode 3.01. Seems like they are being careful to avoid the term episode at all and just calling them "Parts". So I'm thinking "Part 1" thru however many it turns out to be.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/