NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

djerdap
RR Diner Member

Re: NON SPOILERS: Twin Peaks: Season 3 on Showtime Thread

Post by djerdap »

It's very likely that Vedder doesn't know a lot about the plot and Cooper's character arc, so I wouldn't take the lyrics as being intentionally linked to his fate.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
sp.agent.dalecooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by sp.agent.dalecooper »

Keep in mind that both versions of that song contained in the YouTube video are just solo live performances from this past fall. The recording used for show could be at minimum, a similar presentation but recorded properly or at maximum a completely different production and scope, with strings, percussion, etc.

The main emotional core of the song is there and it is weary and sad, but it's overall impact and affect are going to be framed by the quality of the recording, the production and instrumentation choices made, and it's placement in the show.
ForKeeps
RR Diner Member

Post by ForKeeps »

djerdap wrote:It's very likely that Vedder doesn't know a lot about the plot and Cooper's character arc, so I wouldn't take the lyrics as being intentionally linked to his fate.
Not to the point where we can draw inferences from them, but I think he was clearly given some vague/esoteric inspiration from Lynch a la the latter's work with Badalamenti.
Mordeen
Great Northern Member

Post by Mordeen »

ForKeeps wrote:
djerdap wrote:It's very likely that Vedder doesn't know a lot about the plot and Cooper's character arc, so I wouldn't take the lyrics as being intentionally linked to his fate.
Not to the point where we can draw inferences from them, but I think he was clearly given some vague/esoteric inspiration from Lynch a la the latter's work with Badalamenti.
I would like to think this is what happened, if the song was written specifically for S3 and not something Vedder had been sitting on already.

-Mordeen
Moving Through Time. . .
N. Needleman
Lodge Member

Post by N. Needleman »

It's a lovely song and could certainly be relevant to the show's themes. But as for being written specifically for it, I'm not going to read that much into it just yet. It's easy for us to get too granular. It's entirely possible Lynch went out and talked to artists he liked and found music of theirs he enjoyed, or unreleased material they agreed to contribute. He's done it before on other projects, particularly LH. There was a mix of original material and existing stuff he enjoyed, and not just old classics.

There's also the chicken and the egg question of whether all of the stuff from Julee Cruise's Floating Into the Night was originally intended for TP, which someone may know the answer to but I sure don't. I do remember "Rockin' Back Inside My Heart" was in both TP and Industrial Symphony No. 1, but those were around the same time.
AnotherBlueRoseCase wrote:The Return is clearly guaranteed a future audience among stoners and other drug users.
LateReg
Bookhouse Member

Post by LateReg »

N. Needleman wrote:It's a lovely song and could certainly be relevant to the show's themes. But as for being written specifically for it, I'm not going to read that much into it just yet. It's easy for us to get too granular. It's entirely possible Lynch went out and talked to artists he liked and found music of theirs he enjoyed, or unreleased material they agreed to contribute. He's done it before on other projects, particularly LH. There was a mix of original material and existing stuff he enjoyed, and not just old classics.

There's also the chicken and the egg question of whether all of the stuff from Julee Cruise's Floating Into the Night was originally intended for TP, which someone may know the answer to but I sure don't. I do remember "Rockin' Back Inside My Heart" was in both TP and Industrial Symphony No. 1, but those were around the same time.
Didn't Badalementi say he didn't know Lynch was going to use Falling for the main theme? Just going off that, I would think many of the other songs were also just written for her album, and used for Twin Peaks shortly thereafter. Though I'm not 100% sue of the timeline there, and also what Lynch was thinking while working on the lyrics and guiding the music. It's all serendipity in the end.
mtsi
RR Diner Member

Post by mtsi »

Remember this as well: Some people know exactly what is needed to write a song very specific to a character or scene. It's not all dream logic with Lynch. They prepared for this. They are doing it right. It's not loaded to the gills with happenstance.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
We live inside a dream.
madeleineferguson
RR Diner Member

Post by madeleineferguson »

I love that Eddie Vedder song. To me, it sounds like the desert.

I think that the music we hear during scenes in the actual town of Twin Peaks will be very similar to what we know... the town, the woods have that familiar sound. Since there are a bunch of new locations in Season 3, I think we shouldn't be surprised if each location has their own unique soundscape.

In FWWM, Deer Meadow definitely had a different sound. And when the film does go back to Twin Peaks, the sound is familiar again.
DirkG
RR Diner Member

Post by DirkG »

madeleineferguson wrote:I love that Eddie Vedder song. To me, it sounds like the desert.

I think that the music we hear during scenes in the actual town of Twin Peaks will be very similar to what we know... the town, the woods have that familiar sound. Since there are a bunch of new locations in Season 3, I think we shouldn't be surprised if each location has their own unique soundscape.

In FWWM, Deer Meadow definitely had a different sound. And when the film does go back to Twin Peaks, the sound is familiar again.
The fact that different places have different themes in FWWM makes me very hyped for Badalamenti's work for season 3.
djerdap
RR Diner Member

Post by djerdap »

Badalamenti's approach to the Pete Dayton portion of the story in Lost Highway was also much different than the Fred Madison one.
https://thirtythreexthree.wordpress.com/ - 33x3: 33 favourite films by 33 directors, 33 favourite books by 33 authors, 33 favourite albums by 33 musicians and 3 favourite TV series
Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

Panapaok wrote:
Written and performed by Eddie Vedder for Twin Peaks, 2017 (Showtime)

That gum you like is going to come back in style, Twin Peaks will return on May 21 with a two-hour premiere on Showtime!

The Twin Peaks revival boasts an impressive cast of more than 200 people, including Pearl Jam frontman Eddie Vedder who’s pulling double duty on the David Lynch project. Aside from making a guest appearance on the upcoming Showtime series, Ed Ved wrote a song for the revival titled ‘Out of Sand’.

Remember, the owls are not what they seem.
What if we hear this song while James is riding his motorcycle :lol:.
The cow jumped over the moon.
Rainwater
RR Diner Member

Post by Rainwater »

Season-3-leaked-scene-Black-Lodge.jpg
Season-3-leaked-scene-Black-Lodge.jpg (35.48 KiB) Viewed 8913 times
I'll see you in the trees
Twink Peaks
RR Diner Member

Post by Twink Peaks »

:lol:

Pöllö
RR Diner Member

Post by Pöllö »

Rainwater wrote:Season-3-leaked-scene-Black-Lodge.jpg
:lol:
The cow jumped over the moon.
Metamorphia
RR Diner Member

Post by Metamorphia »

Not very keen on that Vedder song. I appreciate it's a world 25 years later and all that, but it still seems woefully out of place (even for scenes possibly taking place away from Twin Peaks itself)