Simultaneous Tweets from David Lynch & Mark Frost

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

FormicaTable
Roadhouse Member

Re: Simultaneous Tweets from David Lynch & Mark Frost

Post by FormicaTable »

Jerry Horne wrote:Twin Peaks to return to TV on Showtime as 8 episode run written by Lynch/Frost directed by Lynch. Possible announcement Monday. #rumor

Let me stress, that is a rumor only.

Where are you reading this?

Anybody remember when Lynch asked recently on Twitter where Everett McGill could be found??
Yes. I just figured it was just because they didn't know where to send the royalty check for the FWWM deleted scenes.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I won't even dare to get excited about this until one of them says "Yeah, it's happening".
Can't do it to my heart.
gstueve
Roadhouse Member

Post by gstueve »

Oh my, I hope this isn't a rumor, I have been waiting 25 years for this

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
GeekBoyEric74
RR Diner Member

Post by GeekBoyEric74 »

clearly SOMETHING is up....but I swear, if it's to just announce a line of Twin Peaks coffee mugs or something, I'll be so pissed. But the fact they both did the exact same tweet at the same time, knowing it would get everyone's hopes up....I can't believe they'd be that mean to the fanbase. To paraphrase Bobby Briggs "No. They wouldn't do that to me."

....right?
Last edited by GeekBoyEric74 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

In french we have a saying :
"Il n'y a pas de fumee sans feu"
It means that if you can see a smoke, there's a fire burning somewhere underneath.

My next trip to Snoqualmie planned for next week should be even more intense, now
We've got the same proverb in Russian as well as the English and American people have ,,No smoke without a fire".

The Air is definitely on Fire now :) I see it vibrating with electrical flashes.
Last edited by nemo on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sparco1979
Roadhouse Member

Post by sparco1979 »

25 YEARS LATER
skawitch
Roadhouse Member

Post by skawitch »

I got into Twin Peaks around 14 years ago and there's always been rumours swirling around and popping up now and again. Over the last few years they've become more frequent. Around 2 years ago I decided to stop getting into these rumours as I couldn't take it. I'm in the pro continuation camp - I love the original series and nothing can change that - worst case scenario something we get rubbish and still have the originals, best case we get more and it's amazing. I resolved basically resolved never to get my hopes up and I simply thought that Lynch would never, ever do it and had no real reason to. I'll shoot down any speculation no matter how seemingly strong that it's true...

*however*

Against my better will my hopes went through the roof with these tweets to the point I can barely contain it. We either have hackers messing with their accounts (unlikely due to the nature) or something major - Lynch simply doesn't do stuff like this. Whatever it is, it's big and I don't believe it's a novel Frost novel continuation - Lynch would want involvement which means visuals. I think we're going to new film/TV.

Dammit - I said I wouldn't do this!

We are living in a golden age for Twin Peaks folks.
The_Owl
Roadhouse Member

Post by The_Owl »

It reminds me that 2 years ago, a friend of mine working on various TV Shows in Vancouver, BC was on a shooting in Squamish (30 miles north of Vancouver). She told me there was american crew searching for locations for an upcoming show called "The Northwest Passage". She was not familiar at all with Twin Peaks so I've had huge expectations at this moment. But as nothing came up, I finally forgot about it... until today !
Coffee
Roadhouse Member

Post by Coffee »

This could be it guys. The stars are all in alignment. It's now or never. Don't break our hearts Lynch/Frost!

If they do confirm this, can you imagine the number of questions that we'll all have in the build-up to it's initial screening?! When will it be set? What will the central plotline be? Who will the main characters be? Will Coop's doppelganger still be possessed by BOB? How will they handle BOB? Will it be closer in tone to the original show, FWWM, somewhere in the middle or will it create a new tone? Will Audrey and Coop end up together? ARGHHH!
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

My guess is that:
1. it will be set 25 years later
2. the good Copper is still trapped in the Lodge and like Philip Jeffries doesn't really know how many years passed
3. I think they can handle BOB casting a new actor (we remember, how easily Lara Flynn Boyle was substituted by Moira Kelly, for me this move looks no less dramatic, but it worked, although the portrayal of her character in my view looks completely different, I can't get rid of the feeling, that Moira has a lack of finesse comparing to Boyle even if one thinks, that she acted too restrained and had a frozen demeanour!)
4. a whole bunch of new main characters will evolve
5. the show will possibly unite the style both of the series and the film, which was actually done in the deleted scenes (appearance of series characters and the use of original warm hues like in the Josie & Pete scene, besides one of the key moments is the inclusion of the entering FWWM theme into the scene with the series characters - that was a special revelation of mine!) But if the series will be resurrected a whole lot of new experiments and inventions will be used.
Last edited by nemo on Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Post by LostInTheMovies »

nemo wrote:My guess is that:
1. it will be set 25 years later
2. the good Copper is still trapped in the Lodge and like Philip Jeffries doesn't really know how many years passed
3. I think they can handle BOB casting a new actor (we remember, how easily Lara Flynn Boyle was substituted by Moira Kelly, for me this move looks no less dramatic, but it worked!)
4. a whole bunch of new main characters will evolve
I'm go to go out on a limb and say they won't recast Bob. Donna is one thing, but Bob was conceived around that very actor. Plus it's unnecessary as there are plenty of other Lodge spirits out and about. True, we saw Bob in Cooper at the end of the series but Lynch is the king of writing himself out of logistical and narrative corners so I trust he'll do so with this while respecting the memory of Frank Silva's inspiring presence. I certainly hope this will be the case.

I'm wondering if whatever Lynch/Frost are cooking up will even take place in Twin Peaks with Cooper as a major character. I wouldn't be shocked, and not necessarily displeased, if it takes place within the Twin Peaks universe - same mythology, glimpses of characters, and at least one visit to the familiar town itself - but very much separate from the material of the original series. If they do incorporate a lot of familiar faces, though, I'll be surprised (and certainly disappointed) if they don't find a way to bring Sheryl Lee back. Probably, finally, with a red wig or dye job.
FormicaTable
Roadhouse Member

Post by FormicaTable »

GeekBoyEric74 wrote:clearly SOMETHING is up....but I swear, if it's to just announce a line of Twin Peaks coffee mugs or something, I'll be so pissed. But the fact they both did the exact same tweet at the same time, knowing it would get everyone's hopes up....I can't believe they'd be that mean to the fanbase. To paraphrase Bobby Briggs "No. They wouldn't do that to me."

....right?

Right. It's not in Lynch's nature to do that. Something is up.

After I watched the roundtable/Between Two Worlds, I thought to myself that Lynch was up to something. Aside from a little bit of ret-conning with regards to Leland, there wasn't much of a point unless you planned to somehow continue the story.

I love the idea of an eight-part series mentioned earlier, co-written between Lynch and Frost and directed by Lynch. If that happens.... [dies]
nemo
RR Diner Member

Post by nemo »

Yeah...Frank is special and it was one of the reasons why I resisted to even think about TP renewal. On the other hand I fell in love with all characters and all of them are dear to my heart. Surely a new storyline will take place, but hopefully it will be intertwined with the further development of the former painful cliffhanger. Each time I watch the series, observing Cooper/Earle's tedious efforts they make to get to the Lodge, which lasts for several episodes, after the series finale I still feel shocked. The deleted scene of Cooper lying on the floor even worsened this impression.
Last edited by nemo on Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LostInTheMovies
Bookhouse Member

Predictions

Post by LostInTheMovies »

I've been reading alt.tv.twin-peaks.com archives lately, reading people's wild WKLP theories and other speculations and reactions, and was thinking, pity I'll never have a chance to take part in experiencing this type of thing firsthand. Well, who knew.

So to put myself on the line and gleefully risk looking as ridiculous as some of them (love all the Andy-did-it theories that popped up)...

1) I'm leaning toward the miniseries idea that JerryHorne mentioned as a rumor. I really don't see an ongoing series but rather a limited-run show with the possiblity of future entries if popularity warrants and inspiration strikes. That's the way prestige television is trending anyway.

2) I feel 100% certain that this is major news and not something other than a film or series in the works (a novel wouldn't involve Lynch and anything other than TV/movie would feel like a let-down after these expectations). They knew what the reaction would be when they did this. Despite all the CW to the contrary, Lynch isn't really a tease. He pretty much always follows through on hints and suggestions, though the answers may not be what we expect or be easy to crack. He delivers. Same goes for Frost. These are the guys who had the killer pegged back when they thought the show would perpetually delay his reveal - well, at least if they are to be believed ;).

3) There will be another mystery, but I don't think it will be too similar to Laura's murder. Maybe not a murder mystery at all. That would feel too much like a repeat and I think they want to avoid a sense of retreading their steps as much as possible. I wonder if the mystery will be more overtly metaphysical/mystical this time - a general sense of unease and dread without the specific hook of a dead body to pin it too. I just said on another thread, on another site, that Twin Peaks needs a strong narrative hook to thrive. But while I do think the storyline will be important to the new series (it won't be purely an exercise in style and mood) I could see it being something more diffuse than in the original.

4) That said, Mark Frost's involvement will ensure a more disciplined narrative approach than Lynch's recent films. This will probably be his most straightforward narrative since The Straight Story though there will be enough room for detours that will make Inland Empire look like a Disneyland ride. It will be really fascinating to see how the two collaborate in 2015(ish). Their sensibilities have grown much more divergent since 1989 yet obviously they wouldn't be launching this project if they hadn't already tested the waters to see where they coincide or can give each other space to do their things. I don't think we'll be seeing guest directors or writers this time around. It will be Lynch/Frost all the way.

5) It will be a hell of a lot more offbeat and weird than the original series. This isn't just a matter of raising the stakes but an inevitable byproduct of where Lynch is at in his career. From Fire Walk With Me on, he has grown wilder and wilder in both style and narrative approach. The conventions Twin Peaks is bouncing off have also become more out-there at this point. I have a feeling the new Twin Peaks will have fewer light elements - both visually and tonally. I think, visually, it will be more abrasive too: probably shot on video (at this point I don't think they even make PD150s anymore, do they? so it won't look like Inland Empire which many will find a relief, though personally I like that look) and the surreal Lodge sequences will be more akin to the Missing Pieces than the original Red Room stuff.

6) I think they'll mostly avoid the nostalgia trip aspect by limiting familiar faces to smaller roles (though as noted above, I definitely expect Sheryl Lee to return in some important capacity - and for the character or name of Laura Palmer to be evoked at some point, since she's always been central to Twin Peaks for Lynch; they will have to feature Kyle MacLachlan centrally if not extensively - i.e. he'll have to be an object of investigation or a haunting presence if not a main character; and even if he only appears at one point, Ray Wise will have to be in it and will have to be a huge part of whatever episode/sequence he appears in to the point that we'll remember the part as being bigger than it was). Perverse as it may seem, I kinda suspect it will not be set directly in Twin Peaks but nearby (not Deer Meadow either). I'm probably - most likely, even - wrong about that, yet it's a lingering suspicion.

7) The Black Lodge will feature HEAVILY in the show to the point of consuming an entire episode or two. Lynch just loves that world and it will give him an excuse to pull out all the stops and just get as crazy as possible within the confines of a major miniseries (and yes, even today for all the patting on the back TV people do, they still have confines). Perhaps even more importantly, it gives Lynch an excuse to feature Cooper and the Palmers heavily. He will certainly be keeping his "Between Two Worlds" word to Lee, Wise, and Zabriskie (whom I also think will get an important role in the story, more important probably than she had on the original show).

8) Bob will not be recast. He = Frank Silva, now and forever. I think Lynch has too much respect for the source of his inspiration to pull a Moira Kelly in this particular case. Silva's image spawned the entire shadow world of the series and he cannot be replaced. There are plenty of other Lodge creatures to play with and I'm sure he can figure out a way to convey Cooper/Bob without showing Bob (or somehow incorporating old footage). I really hope they bring the Jumping Man back. I think he may be the Lodge creature who terrifies me most.

9) All predictions about David Lynch will miss the mark in one way or another. That's why we love him. :)
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I am STUNNED. This has to mean something. Just look at this picture! I am trembling with anticipation and excitement.

I haven't been this excited since I punctured Caroline's aorta!