Questions for Dana Ashbrook

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

BobCooper
Roadhouse Member

Questions for Dana Ashbrook

Post by BobCooper »

In addition to interviewing Bob Engels next week, I'll also be interview Dana Ashbrook soon. Any questions you'd like me to ask him?
worthit
Roadhouse Member

Re: Questions for Dana Ashbrook

Post by worthit »

1. Did he get to see any of the deleted scenes from FWWM before they were deleted?

2. Has he seen any of the deleted scenes between the release of the movie in '92 and before the release of the bluray?

3. If no, what was it like to see those scenes now? Was it just as big a deal as it was for fans of the show to finally see some new TP material?
Auggeo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Auggeo »

I would like to know his opinion on the second season and how he felt about the weird changes that were made to his character.
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

I'd like to know his thoughts on the trajectory of his character. We had revelations of Bobby's victimization at the hands of Laura (series and film) and we had indications of the possibility of redemption and some sort of positive (even special) future for the character, most notably through Major Briggs' conversation with Bobby about his vision (potentially representing The White Lodge and/or afterlife, or simply an abstraction of things like goodness/happiness/family).

Speaking of Major Briggs, I'd also like to know what it was like working with Don S. Davis, and if he has any special recollection of filming the aforementioned vision scene. Dana had little dialogue in that scene, but his acting was extremely important in making it work.
Auggeo
Roadhouse Member

Post by Auggeo »

Jasper, we already know that.

One of the most memorable moments with Bobby Briggs is when his father, Major Briggs, tells him about the dream he had. How did you experience the filming of this scene?

DA: That was actually written with Bobby not going either way emotionally. I went to Mark Frost and he said: “No, Bobby is not into it and he’s just irritated by his dad.” And I was like, oh okay, I get it. And then when we got on the set, David was like: “No, no, no! It’s completely the opposite.” (laughs)
We did Don’s lines first. I was just listening to the story that he was doing and he was so good. And then they turned around on me, and David wanted me to cry but it wasn’t really working. And instead of talking to me, David took Don aside and he talked to him. Don came back and while we did the scene, Don started crying off-camera. When he started crying, I started crying. I really love Don for that, God rest his soul.

Visit http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/actors/da ... z39u6d1npL
Jasper
Bookhouse Member

Post by Jasper »

Auggeo, cool, thanks.

So, I'll just keep my more general question about the trajectory of the character.
lynched+skinned

Post by lynched+skinned »

Not a question but a statement of fact he's gorgeous.
BobCooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by BobCooper »

Interview is today at 4PM EST!
hopesfall
RR Diner Member

Post by hopesfall »

BobCooper wrote:Interview is today at 4PM EST!
I hope it goes well! I'm sure it will.

It's too late anyway, but i don't really have any questions. Every interview i see/read tends to hivemind a lot of the stuff i want answered anyway. It's great. Every single word that comes from anyone associated with the show is just liquid gold for me, so i look forward to the fruits of this interview with child-like anticipation. Likewise with the Bob Engels interview!

All the best! :D
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Not sure if this is too late.

But I was wondering if Dana was involved with, & shot a scene for, the Georgia Coffee commercials. And if so, does he know why it was cut?

He's not in any of the final commercials, but Kimmy has said he was there and filmed for them.

Thanks!
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
BobCooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by BobCooper »

Just got off the phone with Dana, it went almost 30 minutes. I did ask about the commercial! Dana was so nice, the complete opposite of Bobby! We really delved into Season 2 and some of his problems with where they took Bobby, but he maintained that he was always happy to be on the show even if at times he didn't quite know where they were going with Bobby. I'll begin transcribing my Bob Engels interview today and hopefully post that in 2 parts on Wednesday/Thursday, and then hopefully Dana on Friday.