Twin Peaks Blu-Ray Sync issues (spoiler free tech thread)

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray DVD Official Discussion Thread

Post by Jerry Horne »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:So apparently a few boxes came with the audio defect and others didn't?
Jerry Horne wrote:If anyone is experiencing audio sync issues on your player (incl. PS3) disabling the 1080p/24 output setting should work. Someone on Twitter just confirmed to me that it did the trick.
Jerry, pardon my stupidity but how do I do that?
I don't have a PS3 myself, however, I assume you go into audio settings and turn off 1080p/24 output. Someone else with a PS3 might chime in.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Jerry Horne wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:So apparently a few boxes came with the audio defect and others didn't?
Jerry Horne wrote:If anyone is experiencing audio sync issues on your player (incl. PS3) disabling the 1080p/24 output setting should work. Someone on Twitter just confirmed to me that it did the trick.
Jerry, pardon my stupidity but how do I do that?
I don't have a PS3 myself, however, I assume you go into audio settings and turn off 1080p/24 output. Someone else with a PS3 might chime in.
Oh sorry, I don't either, I thought you meant Blu player :lol:
Chareth

Post by Chareth »

Thanks so much, Jerry. I turned off the 24fps setting and the problem has improved significantly. While I'm pretty sure the audio is still infinitesimally behind the video, it's eminently watchable. And while I got a second opinion, I can't be 100% certain that we haven't watched the Cooper scene so many times now that we're hallucinating a discrepancy :)
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

I just received my Blu Ray set this morning from Amazon UK. :D Everything looks fab. Checked the first couple of scenes in the Missing Pieces and there is no sync issues with my copy. My Blu Ray player is Sony BDP-S370.

Saving the rest of the Missing Pieces for Saturday when I will be watching it with my better half. Doughnuts will definitely be on the menu... Will be so hard to wait another 4 days but will so be worth it!
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: Twin Peaks on Blu-Ray Official Discussion Thread - Spoil

This is from Bluray.com forums, can anyone confirm this?

Is it just me or does anyone else experience that the english 7.1 as well as the 2.0 audio is not exactly in synch with the picture in "Fire Walk With Me"?

It's minimal, but I have seen that film quite often and I recognize a small shift - for example in the scene when Laura & Donna meet Bobby in front of the school (right at the beginning of the storyline in Twin Peaks) or in the scene where Laura & Donna talk about James on the couch... or in the bar-scene with Julee Cruise singing...

For sure it's minimal, but I can recognize it whenever someone is speaking.

I don't recognize that on my old german Concorde-Blu.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

mjwilson wrote:
I don't think that's possible - all the boxes will be identical. Any variation will be down to the player used (and possibly people's sensitivity to audio issues).
Agreed. I think it's more down to people's perception and sensitivity.
I'm gonna make my own extended cut anyway, so I'll end up fixing the sync issues.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

Just watched the missing pieces. Wow. A lot to process after 20+ years.

I did have audio sync problems with mine a little- the Pete/Josie scene was really off. So I tried turning off the 24fps setting as suggested. This did seen to improve the problem significantly. But I still noticed it a few more times (the Bobby & Laura scene in the basement).

As for the scenes themselves- they were amazing to see after all these years, and I'm sure I'll need to watch them more times to fully form opinions.

First impressions:

Grace was fantastic. She must have been really bummed that so many of her little moments were left out.
Likewise, I think Peggy Lipton delivered her best stuff for TP in these scenes. She was fantastic. Must have been gratifying to her to see these after so many years.

The scene with Laura under the fan was amazing/freaky. Should have been in the movie. Almost looks like a special effect, but I think it was just Sheryl!

And of course Sheryl Lee is still amazing in these scenes. The very end of the Hayward scene (outside when she turns back), and on the phone with Jacoby, were real standouts.

Lastly, I was a little surprised that so many scenes played without music. And I realize none of these scenes had music until Lynch did his restoration. So perhaps that would have taken more time, or he just liked them without. But for me, some of them seemed a little unfinished because of that, and in my opinion, could have been elevated even more with music. Its just a stark contrast to the music-heavy series, and the intricate sound design of FWWM.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
Murray
Roadhouse Member

Post by Murray »

I watched the Deleted Scenes earlier and the sync was way off for almost its entirety. And I've never had a problem with another Blu-ray on this player.
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:This is from Bluray.com forums, can anyone confirm this?

Is it just me or does anyone else experience that the english 7.1 as well as the 2.0 audio is not exactly in synch with the picture in "Fire Walk With Me"?

It's minimal, but I have seen that film quite often and I recognize a small shift - for example in the scene when Laura & Donna meet Bobby in front of the school (right at the beginning of the storyline in Twin Peaks) or in the scene where Laura & Donna talk about James on the couch... or in the bar-scene with Julee Cruise singing...

For sure it's minimal, but I can recognize it whenever someone is speaking.

I don't recognize that on my old german Concorde-Blu.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

So what's the consensus on the audio synch problem? Mine is definitely off. After changing the setting as Jerry suggested, it mostly fixes things, but there are still scenes slightly effected (Cooper & Diane, Josie & Pete, Laura & Bobby in basement). And if I play the disc on my computer, those scenes are WAY off. Its weird as some scenes (those mentioned) are more off than others. Just wondering what others thought.

And have there been reposts of synch problems with any other parts of the set?
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
Mysterioso

Post by Mysterioso »

Ross wrote:So what's the consensus on the audio synch problem? Mine is definitely off. After changing the setting as Jerry suggested, it mostly fixes things, but there are still scenes slightly effected (Cooper & Diane, Josie & Pete, Laura & Bobby in basement). And if I play the disc on my computer, those scenes are WAY off. Its weird as some scenes (those mentioned) are more off than others. Just wondering what others thought.

And have there been reposts of synch problems with any other parts of the set?
I am not seen any audio problems and I watch most all of set exception of last 4 Episode. On Windows 8 Blu player it is working as to PS3 and Samsung player.

Set is a wonder and most beautiful is Deleted Scene for all time!!!!!!!!!

I also loving Moving Through Time but wishing it much longer.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

I didn't notice any sync issues on the Missing Pieces with the exception of the scene of Laura and Bobby in the basement. It's pretty bad in that one scene. I've only tried it on an OPPO BDP-103 with 1080p24 turned off.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Got my box today! It's in perfect condition, thank god.

I noticed the sync issues right away. Pretty sure they're in all the deleted scenes, just more noticeable on certain ones. :( I'm not sure I turned off the right setting but it did not help. I have some sort of A/V option but I'm not sure what it does. It goes up to 120 milliseconds.

I have a SONY BDP-S590/BX59.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Review from Bluray.com

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Twin-Peak ... 81/#Review

no mention of out of sync audio on deleted scenes or any other feature :?
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Anyone having audio sync issues on Episode 9, during Ben and Jerry pig cheese conversation? Some people are complaining about this.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I rippped both FWWM and the Missing Pieces to my computer as MKV files. And without the "fix" of turning off the 24fps option of my blu ray player, both are out of sync by about 200ms. So a lot of people have been complaining about the deleted scenes being out of sync, but the actual film is as well.