A Rough Guide to making your own FWWM Extended Cut

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Whitman

A Rough Guide to making your own FWWM Extended Cut

Post by Whitman »

A ROUGH GUIDE TO MAKING YOUR OWN "FIRE WALK WITH ME" EXTENDED CUT.

[VERSION 0.0]

INTRODUCTION:

This is a preliminary version that I made for myself. I thought I'd post it here so that anyone else can use it to, even if just to check which new scenes are being released and where they fit in the film.

It's based on media reports of "The Missing Pieces", so it will be deficient in some respects, and will contain mistakes until the actual Blu-Ray set is released, but I'm hoping that people who have seen "The Missing Pieces" can help me with any corrections. If you disagree with anything here, be sure to let me know.

KEY:

Normal text indicates scenes in the theatrical version of FWWM, while CAPITALS indicate the deleted scenes included in "The Missing Pieces."

The initial number in each entry is the number of the scene in the original FWWM screenplay. An "X" instead of a number means the scene wasn't in the screenplay.

"NEW SCENE" means that none of this scene was included in the released theatrical version.

"SCENE ADDITION" means that new footage is added to the already released scene listed above it.

"SCENE ADDITIONS & NEW SCENES" means both new scenes and added footage to the already released scenes listed above it.

[NOTE: as "The Missing Pieces" hasn't been released yet, some of these labels are just my best guess based on published reports. It's often unclear exactly which sections and scenes are included.]

"DELETED SCENE 1" means Scene #1 in "The Missing Pieces", as numbered by Eric Diaz in his Nerdist article at http://www.nerdist.com/2014/07/review-t ... ng-pieces/. Sometimes I've had to split these scenes into two, and given them labels such as "DELETED SCENE 12A" and "DELETED SCENE 12B". One scene is also labelled "DELETED SCENE X" as it was missed in the original article.

A ROUGH GUIDE TO MAKING YOUR OWN "FIRE WALK WITH ME" DIRECTOR'S CUT.

X: Opening Credits. 1: Teresea Banks in the River. 3-5: Cole phones Desmond. 6-8: Airport meeting. 9-12: Desmond & Stanley in the car. 13-15: Deer Meadow Sheriff's Station. 16-17: The Morgue

18: Outside the Morgue after the Autopsy
-SCENE ADDITION: DELETED SCENE 1: DESMOND AND STANLEY DISCUSS HOW MUCH TIME HAS PASSED.

19-20: Desmond and Stanley talk with the manager, Jack.
-SCENE ADDITION: DELETED SCENE 2: MORE OF THE CONVERSATION WITH THE MANAGER.

21: Talking to Irene. 23-27: Fat Trout Trailer Park. 29-30: Back at the Sheriff's Station.

31: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 3: DESMOND FIGHTS SHERIFF CABLE.

32:Loading the body into the van. 33. Desmond disappears.

35: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 4: COOPER TALKS TO DIANE

36: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 5: COOPER AT STANLEY'S APPARTMENT

37: Cooper at the Trailer Park 38: Cooper at the river.
[Note: Scenes 37-39 are moved in the film to after scene 56. I've moved scenes 37 & 38 back to their original script location along with the new scenes 35 & 36, because of their position in "The Missing Pieces."]

41-52: Phillip Jeffries' reappearance.
-SCENE ADDITIONS & NEW SCENES: DELETED SCENE 6A: PHILLIP JEFFRIES REAPPEARS.

53: Above the convenience store.
-SCENE ADDITION: DELETED SCENE 7: ABOVE THE CONVENIENCE STORE.

54-55: Phillip Jeffries' disappearance.
-SCENE ADDITIONS & NEW SCENES: DELETED SCENE 6B: PHILLIP JEFFRIES DISAPPEARS.

39: Twin Peaks sign.
[NOTE: Scene 39 is moved down from its position in the script.]

57-58: Laura & Donna walk to school.

60: Bobby & Mike greet the girls.
-SCENE ADDITION: DELETED SCENE 8: BOBBY & MIKE GREET THE GIRLS.

61-66: A day at High School. 67: Laura at Donna's house. 68-71: Laura discovers missing pages in her diary.

72: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 9: LAURA BUMPS INTO MOTHER.

73-75: Laura at Harold's.

79: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 10: LELAND TEACHES NORWEGIAN AT DINNER.

80-83: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 11: LAURA SNEAKS OUT, MEETS TRUCK DRIVER.

X: Laura hears BOB's voice. 85: Albert and Cooper.

87: Double R Diner.
-SCENE ADDITION: DELETED SCENE 12A: ED & NADINE COME IN THE DINER.

88: Mrs. Tremond & her grandson.

89: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 12B: NORMA CRYING IN THE DINER.

91-95: Laura sees BOB in her room, and hides outside.

102: Laura visits Donna.
-SCENE ADDITION: DELETED SCENE 13: DOC & EILEEN HAYWOOD.

103-104: Leland makes Laura wash her hands. 105-107: Leland's visit to Laura's bedroom. 110-112: Laura dreams of the Picture.

113: Cooper in the Red Room.
-SCENE ADDITION: DELETED SCENE 14: COOPER IN THE RED ROOM.

114-116: Laura sees Annie, sees herself, and wakes up.
[NOTE: Scene 117 is moved down in the film to after scene 187.]

X: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 15: PETE & JOSIE AT THE LUMBER MILL.
[NOTE: THIS SCENE IS NOT IN THE SCRIPT.]

118: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 16: LAURA HEARS BOB FROM FAN, TALKS TO MOTHER.

X: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 17: ED AND NORMA IN THE TRUCK.
[NOTE: THIS SCENE IS NOT IN THE SCRIPT.]

119-120: Leo and Shelly, then Bobby calling Leo.
-SCENE ADDITION: DELETED SCENE 18: LEO & SHELLEY

121-122: Leo calls Jacques. 123-125: Donna goes to Laura's house. 127: Laura meets the Log Lady outside the Roadhouse. 128: Inside the Roadhouse.

129-134 NEW SCENES: DELETED SCENE 19: THE DRIVE TO PARTYLAND.

135-136: Partyland. X. Atmospheric shots of Twin Peaks.

141: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE X: THE ONE-ARMED MAN LIGHTS 12 CANDLES.

142-144: Hungover Laura & Donna. Leland arrives. 145-151: Leland & Laura terrorised in the car.

152-156: NEW SCENES: DELETED SCENE 20: TERESA BANKS & LELAND.

158-165: Laura & Leland remember. 167: Laura does cocaine. 168: Laura & Bobby at High School.

171: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 21: TRUMAN, HAWK & ANDY

181-182: Laura & Bobby's drug deal gone wrong.

117: James on his motorbike at Laura's house.
[NOTE: This scene was moved in the film from its position in the script. I've kept it in the film position.]

185: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 22: LAURA & BOBBY AT HIGH SCHOOL.

186: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 23: BOBBY DISCOVERS THE DRUGS ARE FAKE.

187-188: Laura does cocaine.
-SCENE ADDITION: DELETED SCENE 24: DR. JACOBY CALLS LAURA.

189-194: Leland rapes Laura. 195: Breakfast at the Palmer house. 196: Leland visits Laura's room. 197: Laura walks to school. 198: Laura at school.

199: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 25A: LAURA AND SARAH EAT DINNER.

200-203: Laura visits the Brigg's house.
-SCENE ADDITIONS & NEW SCENES: DELETED SCENE 25B: MAJOR BRIGGS READING FROM THE BOOK OF REVELATIONS.

204-205: NEW SCENES: DELETED SCENE 26: LUCY, ANDY & TRUMAN.

206: Laura and her mother say goodnight. 207: James calls Laura.

208-209: Laura sneaks out. James picks her up.
-SCENE ADDITION: DELETED SCENE 27: LAURA HIDES IN BUSHES FROM HER FATHER.

210-212: Laura & James meet for the last time. 213: Laura meets up with Jacques & Leo. 214-216: Jacques' cabin; Leland arrives and knocks out Jacques; Leo stumbles away.

217: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 28: THE LOG LADY

218: The One-Armed Man runs toward the cabin. 219: Leland marches Laura & Ronette through the woods. 220-226: Leland takes the girls to the train car, while the One-Armed Man races to stop them. Leland kills Laura. 227: Leland lowers Laura into the river. 228-229: Leland enters Glastonbury Grove and then the Red Room. 230: Laura's corpse.

231-232: NEW SCENES: DELETED SCENE 29: ANNIE ARRIVES AT THE HOSPITAL; COOPER IN THE RED ROOM; ANNIE AND THE NURSE.

236-237: NEW SCENES: DELETED SCENE 30: COOPER IN THE BATHROOM.

238: Laura & Cooper in the Red Room. An Angel appears.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Re: A Rough Guide to making your own FWWM Director's Cut

Post by MysteryMan »

I think it would work better to keep scene 117 where it is in the script, as the scene where Laura hears Bob's voice is supposed to come straight after it when Laura re-enters the house (you can see this from the short clip that was used in the movie after the Harold scene where we hear Bob's voice saying "I want to taste through your mouth". Laura is wearing the same red jumper that she wears in the James/Laura/Leland scene).

Also I have heard the scene with Desmond, Stanley and Irene in the parking lot will be included. I have also heard of a scene with Laura inserting her safety deposit key into her diary.
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

I think I'll wait until someone does it. I don't have the hardware/software to rip a Blu disc and the video editing programs I have here probably won't open the file extensions.
If I can find both the movie and the deleted scenes in AVI (that's the only extension VirtualDub works with) I can gladly make the edits.
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

The guy who made the Northwest Passage fanedit, Q2, has said he's going to tackle it. His (or her, i don't actually know for sure) initial plan was to create 2 edits, one inserting just the deleted scenes and another inserting both the deleted and extended scenes but that might change. He/she also planned to re-insert the title cards at the start of each day ("Friday - Six Days Before" etc). I know some people here were iffy on the NP edit for what it did but there's no denying how well done it was so i'd say it's in safe hands with Q2 :)
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

rewak wrote:The guy who made the Northwest Passage fanedit, Q2, has said he's going to tackle it. His (or her, i don't actually know for sure) initial plan was to create 2 edits, one inserting just the deleted scenes and another inserting both the deleted and extended scenes but that might change. He/she also planned to re-insert the title cards at the start of each day ("Friday - Six Days Before" etc). I know some people here were iffy on the NP edit for what it did but there's no denying how well done it was so i'd say it's in safe hands with Q2 :)
Q2 also did a fan edit for Blue Velvet inserting all the deleted footage. I watched last week actually and it looks really good.
Too bad he didn't do one for Wild at Heart as well.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

MysteryMan wrote:I think it would work better to keep scene 117 where it is in the script, as the scene where Laura hears Bob's voice is supposed to come straight after it when Laura re-enters the house (you can see this from the short clip that was used in the movie after the Harold scene where we hear Bob's voice saying "I want to taste through your mouth". Laura is wearing the same red jumper that she wears in the James/Laura/Leland scene).
Agreed!

Also, just a suggestion... if you were to bring the Shelly & Leo scene a little earlier (positioned more like it is in the finished movie, just after Laura wakes up from her dream)... the phonecall between Bobby and Jacques ends on a good line ("Midnight, the sound of sawing wood")... that could lead nicely into the deleted scene at the Packard Mill.
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Q2 also did a fan edit for Blue Velvet inserting all the deleted footage. I watched last week actually and it looks really good. Too bad he didn't do one for Wild at Heart as well.
I believe Q2 didn't do a Wild at Heart fan edit with all hte deleted scenes inserted because the deleted scenes from Wild at Heart very in quality tremendously, many being quite poor. The deleted scenes from Blue Velvet and now Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me were remastered and in HD, so they looked perfect. With Wild at Heart, it would be weird seeing beautiful HD quality footage then showing grainy low-res footage for those deleted scenes. It would still be better than nothing, sure, but I'm just saying I think that's why Q2 didn't put in the time.

That being said, I thought about doing it myself, just for fun. :)
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Re: A Rough Guide to making your own FWWM Extended Cut

Post by Jerry Horne »

I think it would be cool to do a fan edit of episode 29 of TP with the post series scenes from FWWM.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

jlyon1515 wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Q2 also did a fan edit for Blue Velvet inserting all the deleted footage. I watched last week actually and it looks really good. Too bad he didn't do one for Wild at Heart as well.
I believe Q2 didn't do a Wild at Heart fan edit with all hte deleted scenes inserted because the deleted scenes from Wild at Heart very in quality tremendously, many being quite poor. The deleted scenes from Blue Velvet and now Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me were remastered and in HD, so they looked perfect. With Wild at Heart, it would be weird seeing beautiful HD quality footage then showing grainy low-res footage for those deleted scenes. It would still be better than nothing, sure, but I'm just saying I think that's why Q2 didn't put in the time.

That being said, I thought about doing it myself, just for fun. :)
I didn't know the deleted scenes from WAH were in poor quality. I thought they were remastered, since Lynch doesn't allow deleted scenes to be released in bad shape.
You're right, it'd be kind of distracting to be shifting back and forth from HD to grainy quality :)
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:I didn't know the deleted scenes from WAH were in poor quality. I thought they were remastered, since Lynch doesn't allow deleted scenes to be released in bad shape.
Well, apparently he DOES allow deleted scenes to be released in bad shape, being that they were released only on the DVD for Wild at Heart in the Lime Green Set. :) They don't appear on the Blu-ray, unfortunately.

I do wonder why he didn't care in this case, whereas with FWWM he was so firm on his stance. Maybe because he knew the FWWM scenes were great quality, whereas these Wild at Heart ones are just rough work print quality and there isn't anything more?
BobCooper
Roadhouse Member

Post by BobCooper »

After having watched The Missing Pieces, there's quite a few different cuts that could be made. One would be to just throw all of the deleted/extended scenes into the film to make it nearly a 4 hour cut, or if you stuck to the stronger stuff maybe a 3 hour and 15 minute cut, or possibly 3 and a half hours.

One thought I also had while watching this, is that this could also be edited into a 4-5 episode prequel miniseries. The first episode could be focused on Desmond, Stanley, Cooper, and Phillip Jeffries with the next few focused on Laura and Twin Peaks. Maybe even work in the Lynch interview with the Palmer family. If anybody has the skill set to do this I'd love to touch base and give some ideas!
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Jerry Horne wrote:I think it would be cool to do a fan edit of episode 29 of TP with the post series scenes from FWWM.
I 100% agree!
-23-
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Any ideas of how to bring together the Phillip Jeffries/convenience store scenes from both edits?
Both are gorgeous.
-23-
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

marchug wrote:Any ideas of how to bring together the Phillip Jeffries/convenience store scenes from both edits?
Both are gorgeous.
I was thinking about keeping the theatrical version (Cooper in the monitors, Jeffries passes by him etc) and then use the deleted piece when Jeffries enters the room with Cole and Albert.

Only problem is that scene is supposed to happen one year after Chet's disappearence (February 1989), but we can't place that later in the film otherwise the news of Chet's disappearence won't make any sense (since he disappeared the year before).
marchug
RR Diner Member

Post by marchug »

32:Loading the body into the van. 33. Desmond disappears.

35: NEW SCENE: DELETED SCENE 4: COOPER TALKS TO DIANE

I think that after Desmond disappears the next scene should begin with Phillip Jeffries in Buenos Aries (not Cooper talking with Diane). If it cuts to Buenos Aries then it connects them both. After the hotel lobby scene, we go back to the Fat Trout telephone pole and then into the extended meeting above the convenience store. This ties the disappearances of both agents together and the worlds "intercourse between both worlds".

From there into the red room, the shifting focus of the woods, it feels like time is moving strangely. At that point in the missing pieces it cuts to the elevator doors opening and Jeffries walking out. I think here you can go back to the Liberty Bell scene, the cooper/diane scene/ followed by Cooper walking into Gordon Coles office/ checking the cameras in the hallway. and editing this part together with the new extended/alternate takes. I personally like the music from the original while Jeffries is in the office. I would edit them both together but go with the missing pieces conversation at that point...

I am such a nerd. I am watching FWWM but bouncing back and forth to the missing pieces stuff...

"Helga! Baby, damn, no!"
-23-