A Rough Guide to making your own FWWM Extended Cut

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Re: A Rough Guide to making your own FWWM Extended Cut

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Im quite interested to see how these cuts will turn out. In my opinion the scenes almost feel like a different movie. FWWM is dark and fast-cut but the scenes are more moody and lingering and even humorous. They feel more in tone with the show. I am fascinated as to what Lynch and his 4 hour cut would have originally looked like because I dont think the FWWM we got was his initial vision per say. I think it came alive in editing and post. Some of the Missing scenes have no camera cuts and are long shots. And many are silent which bewildered me. Some of the music like the music on the radio in Ed's truck seems out of place and the scene with Hawk Andy and Harry could have definitely benefited from Freshly Squeezed or a similar track.
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

I am working on a cut now as we speak, it will probably take all week. I know we cant upload anything like that here so I am not sure how I will get this out because i would love feedback. I am adding music and titles and am trying to include every scene, but some edits may have to be made. It wont be a blu quality or anything probably a 1 gig avi or something as I am just toying with this now but if ppl want a better definition one i will consider working on a better version.

We should all compare each others works. This could be a great fan project.

The most difficult part is the Jeffries and Convenience Store scene. I love what is presented in the movie but the extended stuff goes deeper. It is near impossible to blend the two. I am having a hard time dropping the way Bowie points at Coop in the movie in favor of the one in Pieces. This is quite difficult.
piero
RR Diner Member

Post by piero »

kingsoprano718 wrote:I am working on ...The most difficult part is the Jeffries and Convenience Store scene. I love what is presented in the movie but the extended stuff goes deeper. It is near impossible to blend the two. I am having a hard time dropping the way Bowie points at Coop in the movie in favor of the one in Pieces. This is quite difficult.
There are many scenes hard to edit...also the scene where Laura goes to Harold...down the stairs, meeting her mum...driving to Harold's home....
I can't wait to see a fan edit...or more...
Roomservice...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Looks like everyone is doing a fan edit. Love it!
Wanna see all :D
Mysterioso

Post by Mysterioso »

kingsoprano718 wrote:I know we cant upload anything like that here so I am not sure how I will get this out because i would love feedback.
PM?
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

I have no problem pming a link if that is ok with those i charge.

I had to cut the scene with Laura after the diary is found ripped. I tried every which way but the fade in to the car after Laura runs is too abrupt to fit with the shot of her talking to her mom.

I am also trying to stick with proper script order but I may change one or two things around. I mean each cut is going to be our own individual vision right? adding music to scenes is way fun though. Changes the mood of it all.

Also syncing the Twin Peaks Theme while adding the Mike and Bobby scene was quite hard.

Looking in to buying a Blu Player for the PC just to rip this and redo the edit on a HD version.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

kingsoprano718 wrote: Also syncing the Twin Peaks Theme while adding the Mike and Bobby scene was quite hard.
The big problem I had was with the later scene, Laura and Donna running into James in school. I couldn't sync the added music for the Mike and Bobby scene with the existing music in the high school scene. Looked weird.

I got sick of it and removed that James bit. It's only a few seconds and doesn't show anything we won't see later.
Now the girls walking away from Mike and Bobby dissolve into Laura and Donna parting so Laura can sniff her coke in the bathroom.
Still doesn't look so good.
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

Q2 finished their edit and it'll be available soon :D
The Dream Man
Roadhouse Member

Post by The Dream Man »

rewak wrote:Q2 finished their edit and it'll be available soon :D
Awesome!! Where will we be able to find it? FanEdit?
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
kingsoprano718 wrote: Also syncing the Twin Peaks Theme while adding the Mike and Bobby scene was quite hard.
The big problem I had was with the later scene, Laura and Donna running into James in school. I couldn't sync the added music for the Mike and Bobby scene with the existing music in the high school scene. Looked weird.

I got sick of it and removed that James bit. It's only a few seconds and doesn't show anything we won't see later.
Now the girls walking away from Mike and Bobby dissolve into Laura and Donna parting so Laura can sniff her coke in the bathroom.
Yes it was impossible so i just muted the sounds for everything in the school and dubbed the theme in. not as effective i am sure. i had a hell of a time with the trucker scene and the fan and cooper transition as well. had to add in some new music to make it seamless. this is challenging but fun. im only mad because i used a poor quality torrent as i dont have a br player on my pc to rip. if i like what i did i have to redo all of it next week when i pick one up to rip from my copy of it.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

kingsoprano718 wrote:
Agent Sam Stanley wrote:

Yes it was impossible so i just muted the sounds for everything in the school and dubbed the theme in. not as effective i am sure. i had a hell of a time with the trucker scene and the fan and cooper transition as well. had to add in some new music to make it seamless. this is challenging but fun. im only mad because i used a poor quality torrent as i dont have a br player on my pc to rip. if i like what i did i have to redo all of it next week when i pick one up to rip from my copy of it.
I'm using a 10gb torrent file for FWWM and a 6gb file for the Missing Pieces. Looks marvelous.
But the finished project is gonna be huge. Just that tiny high school scene is 250mb. That's too much for a 3 minute scene.
I need to find a way to keep good quality with a smaller size.
Last edited by Agent Sam Stanley on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

I'm providing you all with updated transparent screen text images to use in your own fan edits.

When I originally made the screen text for Q2, I was using the French Blu-ray image for reference. That Blu-ray has significantly different coloring (more muted white, and grey black instead of pure black), plus I didn't match up the text quite as good as I could have (I was rushed, he did his edit crazy quick!).

In the new Entire Mystery FWWM Blu-ray, the text is all perfectly white with a deep black shadow. Unfortunately, I didn't get these new versions to Q2 in time, but because I noticed that they weren't perfect, I redid them to more consistently match the new Blu-ray's image.

SO, anyway, here is what you're looking for:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/213 ... n-text.zip

Besides the image of the screen text, I also provide a text file with some notes (in particular a note about the varying placement of the theatrical screen text), and also a few images for reference about how accurately I matched up the text (one is attached).

ENJOY!
Attachments
screen-text-recreated-comparison.jpg
screen-text-recreated-comparison.jpg (205.05 KiB) Viewed 14270 times
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

Thank you! You know Q2 hasn't done their Blu version yet so you could still submit fixed versions to him for that :)
kingsoprano718
Roadhouse Member

Post by kingsoprano718 »

Jlyon you are a God! Thank you.

Sam, any hints where i can find those files? I know you cant post links but the ones I have are both about 1gb. Will gladly redo everything if I can rip it myself or grab that file.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

kingsoprano718 wrote: Sam, any hints where i can find those files? I know you cant post links but the ones I have are both about 1gb. Will gladly redo everything if I can rip it myself or grab that file.
Pirate Bay :wink: