A Rough Guide to making your own FWWM Extended Cut

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Re: A Rough Guide to making your own FWWM Extended Cut

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

Btw, can anyone recommend me a good video editing software? I'm used to VirtualDub, it's very easy and practical, but I can't do a lot with it (fade in, fade out, dissolve, etc) and Sony Vegas is too damn heavy. Every time I launch it looks like my HD is going to explode, things take too long and I can't even preview what I'm doing (too much lag).
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Continuing from above....

From here it would make sense to jump to Cooper and Stanley in Stanleys apartment. Because Stanley explains to Cooper That Desmond was going back to the trailer park one last time. They know he is missing. From there Cooper heads to Deer Meadow.
-23-
marchug
RR Diner Member
Location: Where the birds sing a pretty song and there's always music in the air.

Post by marchug »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Btw, can anyone recommend me a good video editing software? I'm used to VirtualDub, it's very easy and practical, but I can't do a lot with it (fade in, fade out, dissolve, etc) and Sony Vegas is too damn heavy. Every time I launch it looks like my HD is going to explode, things take too long and I can't even preview what I'm doing (too much lag).
I wish I had access too. If you find one maybe we can work in tandem? Someone to Dear Meadow and someone else do Buenos Aries/Philadelphia?
-23-
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:Btw, can anyone recommend me a good video editing software? I'm used to VirtualDub, it's very easy and practical, but I can't do a lot with it (fade in, fade out, dissolve, etc) and Sony Vegas is too damn heavy. Every time I launch it looks like my HD is going to explode, things take too long and I can't even preview what I'm doing (too much lag).
Don't use Sony Vegas!
It has serious problems with proper colors in AVC exported files (MP4, MKV). It's much darker and it's impossible to get the original colors (similar yes, but they never true to the original).

Adobe Premiere is better option.

There are not much to choose. No good and cheep solutions.

VirtualDub is great and you CAN do fade in and fade out effect, and there are many good plugins for it. But dissolve effects are very hard to do (and takes a lot of time) - so VirtualDub for such a big project is not a good solution.
jlyon1515
RR Diner Member

Post by jlyon1515 »

I have always used Adobe Premiere, and I love it! The Bowie scene is definitely one of the harder parts to figure out how to integrate. I'm not even sure I'm following some of the suggestions about how to do it. LOL.

I would definitely edit it all together if someone firmed up the exact ordering from the front page, BUT I know Q2 over at Fanedit.org is going to be doing an edit, and he did a great job with Blue Velvet. If his edit isn't to people's liking, then maybe we do our own.
rewak
RR Diner Member

Post by rewak »

Q2's already knee deep in work for his edit and is aiming to have it done by the weekend
marchug
RR Diner Member

Post by marchug »

I would love to see some sort of edit (not necessarily anything to do with FWWM) of an episode or two that added in some of the footage from the European version of the pilot. That would be ace.
-23-
marchug
RR Diner Member

Post by marchug »

Here are my suggestions for a fan edit. I am going to break it up into parts.

PART ONE: DEER MEADOW:

Opening credits // Teresea Banks in the river // Cole phones Desmond in North Dakota // Lil and airport meeting // Desmond & Stanley in the car // Deer Meadow Sheriff's Station // The morgue // EXTENDED: Desmond & Stanley outside the morgue // EXTENDED: Talking with Jack at Haps // Inside Haps Diner talking to Irene scene // EXTENDED: Leaving Haps in the morning // Fat Trout Trailer Park // Back at the Sheriff's Station // DELETED: Desmond vs Cable fight scene // Loading body into van, Stanley goes back to Portland, Desmond goes back to Fat Trout and disappears.

===

PART TWO: BUENOS AIRES & PHILADELPHIA:

DELETED SCENE: Hotel lobby in Buenos Aires; Fat Trout telephone pole; convenience store meeting; red room; fuzzy woods fade out // Philadelphia Liberty bell opening // Cooper talking to Cole about the dream; checking cameras; // Jeffries comes out of the elevator (use the theatrical version for the music) // ALTERNATE VERSION: Jeffries telling Cole/Coop/Albert about what happened; Jeffries appearing back in the hotel in Buenos Aires // FBI Philadlephia; He’s gone; Albert tells them that Chester Desmond has disappeared // DELETED SCENE: Cooper in Stanleys apartment asking him about Desmond; talk about the letters under Theresas finger // Cooper at Fat Trout Trailer park
-23-
marchug
RR Diner Member

Post by marchug »

PART THREE: THE LAST SEVEN DAYS OF LAURA PALMER:

Section 1:
Twin peaks sign + music; Laura stops by Donnas on her walk to school // DELETED & ALTERNATE SCENE: Mike & Bobby talk about the football and cocaine; ask the girls if they want a ride to school // School day // Laura in towel scene // Hanging out at Donna’s house after school // Laura discovers missing pages from diary; runs downstairs // DELETED SCENE: Bumps into her mother; shares cigarette; borrows car // Harold Smiths house; secret diary scene // DELETED SCENE: Laura comes home and gets yelled at by her mother; dinner scene with leland the giant speaking Norwegian scene // DELETED SCENE: Laura sneaks out and meets a trucker
-23-
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

qbin2001 wrote: VirtualDub is great and you CAN do fade in and fade out effect, and there are many good plugins for it. But dissolve effects are very hard to do (and takes a lot of time) - so VirtualDub for such a big project is not a good solution.
Yeah I read about it, but you have to learn how to use scripts, type the commands and all and I found kind of tricky :lol:
There are programs who can do Fade in, fade out and blend fade in a simpler way (I hope).
qbin2001 wrote: Adobe Premiere is better option.
jlyon1515 wrote:I have always used Adobe Premiere, and I love it!
Thanks for the tip guys. I will check Adobe Premiere then.
I was starting to get used to the Sony Vegas interface, but it's so freakin' heavy. It takes like 40 minutes to render a 4 minute video. Seriously, I'm done.
jlyon1515 wrote:BUT I know Q2 over at Fanedit.org is going to be doing an edit, and he did a great job with Blue Velvet. If his edit isn't to people's liking, then maybe we do our own.
Yes, I loved what he did to the Blue Velvet edit.
But I'm pretty sure he will go by the book and add every single deleted scene back in and there are some scenes I wouldn't like, also some edits look better the way they were in the original film. So I'd like to make my choices and create a FWWM of my own :)
marchug
RR Diner Member

Post by marchug »

Section2:
EXTENDED: Creepy fan scene with Bob speaking to Laura and Laura smiling; Her mother looking for the blue sweater // Fade into Cooper at the FBI; he is talking to Albert about a girl preparing a large abundance of food // Combine the original with bits of EXTENDED Meals On Wheels + RR Diner scenes // DELETED: BigEd & Nadine come in; Heidi giggles & Norma cries // Laura goes home and sees Bob in her room and then Leland leaving the house // She hides in the bushes before running to Donna’s house // EXTENDED: Donna and Laura talk; Doc & Eileen Hayward; the angel message // Creepy Leland Palmer wash your hands dinner scene // Leland apologizes // Laura goes to remembers the photograph and hangs it on her wall; she goes to bed and enters the photo in her dreams // EXTENDED: Cooper + Little Man From Another Place ring scene // Laura in bed with Annie // The ring appears in her hand // She wakes up the next day and takes the photo down.
-23-
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

marchug wrote:Section2: <br abp="724">EXTENDED: Creepy fan scene with Bob speaking to Laura and Laura smiling; Her mother looking for the blue sweater // Fade into Cooper at the FBI; he is talking to Albert about a girl preparing a large abundance of food // Combine the original with bits of EXTENDED Meals On Wheels + RR Diner scenes // DELETED: BigEd & Nadine come in; Heidi giggles & Norma cries // Laura goes home and sees Bob in her room and then Leland leaving the house // She hides in the bushes before running to Donna’s house // EXTENDED: Donna and Laura talk; Doc & Eileen Hayward; the angel message // Creepy Leland Palmer wash your hands dinner scene // Leland apologizes // Laura goes to remembers the photograph and hangs it on her wall; she goes to bed and enters the photo in her dreams // EXTENDED: Cooper + Little Man From Another Place ring scene // Laura in bed with Annie // The ring appears in her hand // She wakes up the next day and takes the photo down.
The creepy fan scene with Laura is supposed to take place the morning after Laura's dream, and directly after speaking to James outside her house (where it is positioned in the script, this also becomes clear as you can also see Laura is wearing the same jumper in both these scenes).
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

MysteryMan wrote:
marchug wrote:Section2: <br abp="724">EXTENDED: Creepy fan scene with Bob speaking to Laura and Laura smiling; Her mother looking for the blue sweater // Fade into Cooper at the FBI; he is talking to Albert about a girl preparing a large abundance of food // Combine the original with bits of EXTENDED Meals On Wheels + RR Diner scenes // DELETED: BigEd & Nadine come in; Heidi giggles & Norma cries // Laura goes home and sees Bob in her room and then Leland leaving the house // She hides in the bushes before running to Donna’s house // EXTENDED: Donna and Laura talk; Doc & Eileen Hayward; the angel message // Creepy Leland Palmer wash your hands dinner scene // Leland apologizes // Laura goes to remembers the photograph and hangs it on her wall; she goes to bed and enters the photo in her dreams // EXTENDED: Cooper + Little Man From Another Place ring scene // Laura in bed with Annie // The ring appears in her hand // She wakes up the next day and takes the photo down.
The creepy fan scene with Laura is supposed to take place the morning after Laura's dream, and directly after speaking to James outside her house (where it is positioned in the script, this also becomes clear as you can also see Laura is wearing the same jumper in both these scenes).
Agreed. Another thing I'd change is to keep the whole diner scene after Laura runs off. It's just too long. After Laura runs we have to show the house right away.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Agent Sam Stanley wrote:
MysteryMan wrote:
Agreed. Another thing I'd change is to keep the whole diner scene after Laura runs off. It's just too long. After Laura runs we have to show the house right away.
Got to agree to disagree with you on that one. I think the point of making an extended version would be to incorporate all the available deleted scenes back into the movie. :)
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

MysteryMan wrote:Got to agree to disagree with you on that one. I think the point of making an extended version would be to incorporate all the available deleted scenes back into the movie. :)
Not necessarily :)
I don't think all the deleted scenes will play out well inserted back in. Like I said above, in my opinion a few scenes look better in the original edit. That's one of them.
That's why I want to do my own edit.