Pardon my stupidity...

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Pardon my stupidity...

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

FWWM Shooting Script/Deleted scene

INT. BORDER TRUCK STOP - NIGHT

The front room is a bar and restaurant with about THREE PATRONS.
Above the bar is a sign that reads:

CAN - A - DO and U.S. OF FUCKIN' "A"

Can anyone give me the meaning of the sign? Not so simple for people outside US :(

Also, the meaning of Donna's joke to Laura "If I had a nickel for every cigarette your mom smoked, I'd be dead"

underthefan
Great Northern Member

Re: Pardon my stupidity...

Post by underthefan »

Hey Sam, definitely nothing to apologize for! I will help as best as I can. CAN - A - DO and U.S. OF FUCKIN' "A" are both plays on words:

CAN - A - DO (is a play obviously on Canada, but also on expression "can-do", which is an informal idiomatic phrase meaning marked by a willingness to tackle a job and get it done)
U.S. OF FUCKIN' "A" is a common slang for USA, where "fuckin'" is used as an emphatic. Its meaning depends on the use - it can be used to proclaim the greatness of USA or as a sardonic statement, which I think is probably the case here.

As far as Donna's joke, I always interpreted it as, "If I had a nickel for every cigarette your mom smoked, I'd be so rich that someone would kill me for my money." There may be different interpretations, but that one makes most sense to me. And it's also one of my favorite lines from the film. :D

Hope this helps, Sam!
jmichael
RR Diner Member

Post by jmichael »

underthefan wrote:As far as Donna's joke, I always interpreted it as, "If I had a nickel for every cigarette your mom smoked, I'd be so rich that someone would kill me for my money." There may be different interpretations, but that one makes most sense to me. And it's also one of my favorite lines from the film. :D
I always thought it meant that Donna would be crushed by the amount of nickles that would be. Mrs. Palmer smokes a TON of cigarettes.
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

jmichael wrote:
underthefan wrote:As far as Donna's joke, I always interpreted it as, "If I had a nickel for every cigarette your mom smoked, I'd be so rich that someone would kill me for my money." There may be different interpretations, but that one makes most sense to me. And it's also one of my favorite lines from the film. :D
I always thought it meant that Donna would be crushed by the amount of nickles that would be. Mrs. Palmer smokes a TON of cigarettes.
That could be it, too. That's the beauty of that line that it can be interpreted different ways and still be hilarious in every interpretation.
Agent Sam Stanley
Bookhouse Member

Post by Agent Sam Stanley »

underthefan wrote:Hey Sam, definitely nothing to apologize for! I will help as best as I can. CAN - A - DO and U.S. OF FUCKIN' "A" are both plays on words:

CAN - A - DO (is a play obviously on Canada, but also on expression "can-do", which is an informal idiomatic phrase meaning marked by a willingness to tackle a job and get it done)
U.S. OF FUCKIN' "A" is a common slang for USA, where "fuckin'" is used as an emphatic. Its meaning depends on the use - it can be used to proclaim the greatness of USA or as a sardonic statement, which I think is probably the case here.
I see, my english is fine, but I'm not familiar with these expressions (can-do and fuckin' a) so the sentence had no meaning to me.
Thank you for finally clearing it up :)
As far as Donna's joke, I always interpreted it as, "If I had a nickel for every cigarette your mom smoked, I'd be so rich that someone would kill me for my money." There may be different interpretations, but that one makes most sense to me. And it's also one of my favorite lines from the film. :D !
That could be it, too. That's the beauty of that line that it can be interpreted different ways and still be hilarious in every interpretation.
LOL, my first impression was that Donna meant she was going to be crushed by all the nickels as well, but I wasn't sure.
But the other way of thinking is even better. It made me laugh here.
I wish there were more scripts like that. So many years later and I'm still debating and asking stuff :)

Thanks for the help guys
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

I think the Donna joke is meant to be more of a mixed metaphor and playing with the punchline of "a rich man" and smoking too many cigarettes kills. It's very dry, very Dorothy Parker, and very funny.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
underthefan
Great Northern Member

Post by underthefan »

No problem, Sam! Happy to help!
vancurenw
Roadhouse Member

Post by vancurenw »

Audrey Horne wrote:I think the Donna joke is meant to be more of a mixed metaphor and playing with the punchline of "a rich man" and smoking too many cigarettes kills. It's very dry, very Dorothy Parker, and very funny.
Agreed. I think it's funny because it doesn't make sense. Kind of like Danny DeVito's line in "Heist": "Everybody needs money. That's why they call it money."