Who were the three that had seen Bob but not his body?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

When the giant says it at the end of the second season premiere? If you count visions, Coop and Sarah had seen him but in person, obviously the One Armed Man, Laura and Ronette had. And Ronette was the one who'd seen his body, right? She saw that it was Leland?
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Re: Who were the three that had seen Bob but not his body?

Post by bosguy1981 »

If visions are counted, maybe Maddy should be one of them?

Earlier in that episode, Maddy sees the blood stain on the carpet. If I remember correctly, the international broadcasts of this episode show a different special effect -- instead of only seeing a blood stain, Maddy sees BOB's face in the carpet too. If that was scripted that way (and I'm not sure if it was), then that reference made by the Giant later in that episode might be including Maddy in the headcount?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

I think it was meant to be Cooper, Sarah, and Ronette. In Ronette's flashback/vision she sees Bob- not Leland. It was never explained if Ronette saw Leland or not. (One of the things I wish they would have dealt with.)
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
http://twinpeakssoundtrackdesign.blogspot.com/
perno
Roadhouse Member

Post by perno »

What does the giant say exactly ?
I epoh uoy nac dnatsrednu ym hsilgnE.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Here's what he says

"One person saw the third man. Three have seen him, yes, but not his body. One only known to you. Ready now to talk."

So who had seen his body according to the giant? Ronette had the nightmare/visions of Bob but on the outside, wouldn't he have still looked like Leland? I don't get how he would've looked like Bob to her.

Or maybe we're suppose to think Leland was the one who'd seen his body since he lived next door when he was younger?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

vicksvapor77 wrote:Here's what he says

"One person saw the third man. Three have seen him, yes, but not his body. One only known to you. Ready now to talk."

So who had seen his body according to the giant? Ronette had the nightmare/visions of Bob but on the outside, wouldn't he have still looked like Leland? I don't get how he would've looked like Bob to her.

Or maybe we're suppose to think Leland was the one who'd seen his body since he lived next door when he was younger?
I think the "Ready now to talk" line is in reference to Ronette. We aren't sure what she saw. Maybe she saw Leland when she was in the train car & saw Bob in her nightmare? They never say. Obviously Laura saw him as Bob many times- not seeing Leland.
"I can see half my life's history in your face... And I'm not sure that I want to."
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

Ross wrote:

I think the "Ready now to talk" line is in reference to Ronette. We aren't sure what she saw. Maybe she saw Leland when she was in the train car & saw Bob in her nightmare? They never say. Obviously Laura saw him as Bob many times- not seeing Leland.
I've never seen "Fire Walk With Me" and I don't remember if they said anything but I thought Laura knew her dad was the host of Leland?
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

vicksvapor77 wrote:
Ross wrote:

I've never seen "Fire Walk With Me" and I don't remember if they said anything but I thought Laura knew her dad was the host of Leland?
No- Laura never knew her dad was Bob until the end. She either saw him as Bob or Leland. Sometimes seeing him as Leland even when under Bob's influence. The mechanics of who she sees, and when, and if Leland/Bob has any control over that, are never explained.
perno
Roadhouse Member

Post by perno »

I don't know if the Giant is talking about Coop, Laura's mother, Maddy...

"Only one known to you." As this one is ready to talk, it is Ronette, no doubt about it for me.
I don't really know what "known" means here...

At first, I thought he was speaking of the night it happened. If not, more than three have seen BOB I think.

Laura, Ronette were here this night. What about the log lady and her husband ?

Don't know...

Whatever...
Understanding why Laura sees BOB or Leland is the key in understanding the true meaning of Twin Peaks.
I think you can't really understand why Leland kills his daughter if you don't understand this point imo. Thats why FWWM is so important as it gives this key (much more difficult without this one). You HAVE to see it, vicksvapor77. :)
I epoh uoy nac dnatsrednu ym hsilgnE.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

My friend burned it for me so I will watch it ASAP!

I could swear I saw a picture of Sheryl Lee with Ray Wise on top of her though and her screaming?
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

Vicks is right. When Bob enters by the Laura window bedroom's, she saw his father like being BoB.
A french little guy named : Dam.
Ross
Global Moderator

Post by Ross »

kafard wrote:Vicks is right. When Bob enters by the Laura window bedroom's, she saw his father like being BoB.
Right- but that was the first time she realized her dad was Bob.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

I forget, were Leo and Jacques around when Bob was with Laura and Ronette? If not, the supposed three that saw him grows even more :lol:
kafard
RR Diner Member

Post by kafard »

I need to rewatch the Tv show for answer :-) (i'm waiting for a Blu-Ray release) but...

My memory tells me that the one who saw the third man is Ronette.
The three are, for me : Sarah, Philip Gerard (not the "one armed man") and The log lady.
Why the giant would say at Cooper "three" in counting Cooper?
A french little guy named : Dam.
vicksvapor77
Great Northern Member

Post by vicksvapor77 »

kafard wrote:I need to rewatch the Tv show for answer :-) (i'm waiting for a Blu-Ray release) but...

My memory tells me that the one who saw the third man is Ronette.
The three are, for me : Sarah, Philip Gerard (not the "one armed man") and The log lady.
Why the giant would say at Cooper "three" in counting Cooper?
Yeah, that makes sense. I don't think Coop is one of the three, either. I still don't know why Leo and Jacques wouldn't count, though.