Sheriff's Department Mug question

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

vancurenw
Roadhouse Member

Sheriff's Department Mug question

Post by vancurenw »

In light of the crazy fast sell out of the Sheriff's Department mugs, I thought about making one of my own. It wouldn't be as nice, or official, but I really wanted to get one and wasn't able to. Is it bad form to brainstorm on the board how it might be possible? Obviously slapping a sticker on the side of a pyrex mug isn't a good idea, but maybe people could share ideas on how to do it. If this is offensive or stepping on toes, feel free to lock/delete the thread, as that is not my intention.
garethw
RR Diner Member

Re: Sheriff's Department Mug question

Post by garethw »

I think if you're just planning on making one for yourself, I think that's perfectly reasonable (although I have no ideas of my own on how to do it - I've used cafepress to do a couple of mugs in the past, which turned out nice, but you can't select what type of mug, of course). There was an official mug around when the show was on-air - just a simple white mug with the sherriff's station logo on it. You could approximate that pretty well, I'd imagine.

If you were planning to sell it, that would be different - rather than offensive, I imagine it would be illegal.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

What about the legions of people selling unlicensed products on zazzle, etc? Is that technically illegal?
garethw
RR Diner Member

Post by garethw »

IANAL, but I would think so.
vancurenw
Roadhouse Member

Post by vancurenw »

I'm assuming you mean illegal because it violates ABC's intellectual property rights? If so, it would only be "illegal" if they were interested in enforcing those rights. You could argue that they have trademark rights to the sheriff's badge design, and selling something with the same desing would infringe on those rights. But I doubt they would pursue that. Cafepress currently has a line of items with the sheriff's department logo on them, and I don't imagine that ABC really cares about it.

But you are correct, I have no desire to sell them. Just make one for myself since I wasn't able to buy one.