Damon Lindelof: from Twin Peaks fan to Lost co-creator...

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Ben Horne
Location: THE GREAT NORTHERN - 500 Great Northern Highway, Twin Peaks, WA 99153

Damon Lindelof: from Twin Peaks fan to Lost co-creator...

Post by Ben Horne »

Damon Lindelof, most recently noted as the co-creator and executive producer for Lost, was a big Twin Peaks fan. :wink:
Here are a few excerpts from interviews and articles:

<<I remember watching Twin Peaks with my father when I was a teenager and the wonderful thing about that show was the way that it aired for an hour, but it created a culture of people who would talk about it for hours afterwards. People would get together and they would have theories ' not just about the central mystery of the show, which is who killed Laura Palmer, but about many other questions. What's the Black Lodge? What's the story with the log lady? We feel the same way about Lost because it's complicated. It's tricky. We will admit to the fact that you have to watch almost every episode to appreciate it for its true worth. If you miss an episode, you risk getting lost and I think Twin Peaks was the same way>>.

<<The show that REALLY affected me, however, was TWIN PEAKS, which I'd watch every week with my dad. He'd tape the show on his VCR (remember those?) and we'd watch the episode AGAIN right after it aired in our quest to pull every last clue out of the show. The idea of a TV Show being a mystery and a game that spawned hundreds of theories obviously was a major precedent (that's a fancy way of saying we ripped it off) for LOST>>.

<<"It was so zeitgeist-y," says Damon Lindelof, co-creator of "Lost," one of the show's direct descendants. He fondly recalls watching every episode with his father, who kept a binder of detailed notes and clues. "Everyone was talking about Cooper and the Log Lady and apple pie," Lindelof says. "Everything was so fresh . . . The vibe David Lynch and Mark Frost created was new and exciting." () "Instead of just saying, 'Oh, [so-and-so] killed Laura Palmer' -- which is the way 'Dynasty' or 'Dallas' or 'Falcon Crest' would approach the mystery -- 'Twin Peaks' went into this other realm. That certainly, in a positive way, inspires a fair degree of our storytelling [on 'Lost']," Lindelof says>>.

Are we going to create a new TV series someday? :lol:
Black Rose
Roadhouse Member

Re: Damon Lindelof: from Twin Peaks fan to Lost co-creator..

Post by Black Rose »

Anyone here who hasn't seen LOST really should.

I feel like I'm being somehow UNFAITHFUL to Twin Peaks with my love for LOST, but I totally enjoyed both shows. Both have rough edges, but LOST provided 6 seasons of fun and adventure and major character deaths. :D
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

LOST was a great show, you can definitely see some obvious nods to TP. They definitely saw how TP ultimately fell and kept their show thriving. Season 5 was kind of a mess though.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

I was also a big LOST fan. Although when I discuss the series with newbies, I sorta feel like I'm channeling Kimmy Robertson... "I thought the whole final season pretty much sucked." :)
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

i have to disagree bosguy-i do think all the temple nonsense early on in the season was not that good, but the last 4 or 5 episodes were really great. i know i'm in the minority, but i loved the finale.

oh-if interested i got to visit the church from said finale, pics on my blog below.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

You can definitely feel the TP influence in Lost, and I was definitely a big fan of it (my favorite was season 4). Nowadays, when I try to explain what TP is to people who don't know/understand, my line is usually "it's The Killing meets Lost."
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Brad D wrote:i have to disagree bosguy-i do think all the temple nonsense early on in the season was not that good, but the last 4 or 5 episodes were really great. i know i'm in the minority, but i loved the finale.

oh-if interested i got to visit the church from said finale, pics on my blog below.
Oooh nice, I'll check those out.

I actually do enjoy the last few episodes quite a bit. And I seem to be in the minority in that I really, really loved the Sideways stuff. I weep like a baby whenever I watch the finale. :)

But the first two-thirds of that season really didn't do it for me. I felt like the on-island storyline was just crawling, and didn't have even a fraction of the driving force of the other seasons. When it was all finished, it felt like they could have handled 15 episodes worth of that island storyline in about 3 episodes, and carved away a lot of the "fat."

And yeah, the temple stuff -- oy! I felt as if the new characters introduced in that last season were a real drag, almost without exception. And that was a shock to me because the new folks introduced in season 2, and 3, and 4... man, I loved all of those "new arrivals" to the cast. But the temple people, and Ilana, and Widmore's season 6 clan... I don't know. Anyway, that's some long-winded stuff (hopefully free of anything considered a spoiler for LOST newbies) but I wanted to clarify.

And for the record, unlike Kimmy, I did not stop watching. Heh.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

By the way, for those who have already seen the entire series, check out this amazing "deleted scene" from Season 1 that was shown at Comic-Con a few days ago.

Seriously... only if you've seen all of LOST... :lol:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/22/lost- ... eted-scen/
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

spoiler alert...

i warned you....

ok......

i definitely felt like the smoke monster was a total ode to BOB in that it was the mysterious villain creeping around and never really revealing its true nature and that it also can possess others. i sort of threw my hands up and screamed "BOB" when locke was revealed as the smoke monster.

i also feel like the sideways flash was a big nod to the black lodge. i also really love the end of season 3 when the flash forward was revealed. never saw that coming.
bosguy1981
Great Northern Member

Post by bosguy1981 »

Brad, totally agree with what you mentioned about the BOB deal. And the season 3 finale... there are no words!! That was one of the best devices/finale endings in any TV series, ever.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

if jack had become the smoke monster and the show faded to black, i'd have rioted.