Happy 20th Anniversary of WHO KILLED LAURA PALMER episode.

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Happy 20th Anniversary of WHO KILLED LAURA PALMER episode.

Post by Audrey Horne »

wow, twenty years went by pretty quickly. 20 years ago today, ABC aired the solution episode. I was on the edge of my seat.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Annie
Global Moderator

Re: Happy 20th Anniversary of WHO KILLED LAURA PALMER episod

Post by Annie »

grrlskout is having a marathon this weekend in a suburb of Detroit. And Brenda Mathers Reed "Caroline" will be there!!
How cool is that?!?!?
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

The first, and probably only, piece of television that caused me to quite literally lose an entire night of sleep. I couldn't look in a mirror that night.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

i can close my eyes and remember exactly how this night felt
EnableSecret
Roadhouse Member

Post by EnableSecret »

Annie wrote:grrlskout is having a marathon this weekend in a suburb of Detroit. And Brenda Mathers Reed "Caroline" will be there!!
How cool is that?!?!?
It was very 8)
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Are there any pics of Judy and Brenda from the partay?
Annie
Global Moderator

Post by Annie »

I'm asking. Will post if I get an answer.
Keep your eye on the doughnut, not on the hole.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

gee, I never really wrote anything. i just remember seeing the date on the calendar and always remember November 10th as the big day. All the commericals and ads promising November 10th "Laura's killer will be revealed."

It seems like we were just celebrating the 20th anniversary of the premiere, and now in that time is the same amount as the original viewers had to wait. Twenty years ago it seemed like an eternity... and a fun eternity. Every little nugget and scene could be watched over and over again trying to piece the puzzle together. it was the most exciting television has ever been.

Peaks was I believe in top form at this stage. It was successful in achieving one of the tenants it set out- starting with a murder and then branching out to other plots. I fell in love with all the characters and wanted to see what would happen to them next. I didn't care about who killed Laura Palmer as much as I wanted Cooper to find Audrey's note and rescue her from One-Eyed Jacks; I wanted Norma to find happiness; I wanted Leland to be acquited for killing Jacques. Hell, I even liked James, Donna and Maddy. But once it was announced the killer would be unmasked, it sent me back into hyper allertness- i was excited but also scared -scared about finally finding out and would I be disappointed -would it be someone I really, really loved. Things were tense- Cooper was caught in a fantastic taut triangle between Audrey and Ben; the One-armed man had come back and pinpointed the killer was at the Great Northern; Josie had broken Truman's heart, Maddy was finally leaving- I didn't know what to expect. I had figured out Catherine was Tajamoro and she was at the Northern. I knew it had to be down to Ben, Leland, Catherine, Pete and Audrey -the only ones at the hotel. And I loved all those guys. I loved Cooper and Audrey so much and could easily see them nipping it in the bud ironically by making her the killer; Ben was the obvious choice, and would put a new wrench in the Audrey/Cooper plot. But also I knew mysteries always make it the surprise ending -and Leland and Pete were strong candidates for this. And Piper Laurie is well, Piper Laurie and could pull off a major dramatic reveal. Ah, the fun was in the wondering.

I don't know what I was expecting -I'm sure it was along the lines of Cooper revealing the killer and everything would be wrapped up. I couldn't be more wrong -and thankfully wrong. It was amazing -it was terrifying, heartbreaking, exhilerating -it was everything. In a move of brilliance, it achieved what I had loved about the show -it wasn't about Who Killed Laura Palmer, it was about what would happen next. This was a perfect moment of television that has not been matched since.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
missoulamt
RR Diner Member

Post by missoulamt »

Very good post, AH. Really brought it all back. The sense of wonder one felt as a 12-year old and the pictures that were painted when it was revealed that the killer was at the Great Northern. Still remember that feeling strongly today...
Snogster707
Roadhouse Member

Post by Snogster707 »

Indeed, that was a very poignant episode. Coop looked very handsome all wet, his hair dangling in his face as he told Leland to 'go into the light'...

tWas a brilliant scene...