This Audrey/Cooper thing?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kim 13781
Roadhouse Member

This Audrey/Cooper thing?

Post by kim 13781 »

:) You know I was reading a Harley Peyton interview last night, he is the guy that wrote some of the TP scripts.
He stated that the show went completely off track in season two, the main reason being that David Lynch and Mark Frost were going seperate ways, one wanted to do one thing and the other wanted to do something else and that this resulted in many arguments between the pair.
He also said that in the end David was never around and left the show in others hand's it was as though he had lost intrest in the entire thing . He also mentioned that the next big storyline would have been Audrey and Cooper getting together but due to Kyle's refusal of the storyline mean't that it could'nt go ahead and that they were left with only back stories.
In the show Agent Cooper states to Audrey that the reason he will not get involved with her is not only because of her age but because she has been a witness in the crime he has been solving (Laura Palmer) this kind of makes sense.
I agree that Audrey and Coop seem made for each other and that she would have been more intresting than Annie Blackburn and it would have also meant that she does'nt end up with what I call a waste of character in John Wheeler.
But people seem to assume that if Cooper and Audrey had got involved that this would have somehow saved the show I do'nt see how, Audrey would have just taken the place of Annie it would have been her that was kidnapped by Earle and taken to the black lodge ect, but what would this have changed how would this had made the show carry on, when the guy's that were making it could'nt even agree what to do next if anyone has any views on this I would like to hear them :)
Damn fine coffee...and hot - Agent Cooper
Brad D
Global Moderator

Re: This Audrey/Cooper thing?

Post by Brad D »

there's definitely alot of 'ifs'...i'd be curious to see the ratings for all of the shows on their original air dates. it seems to me that moving the show to saturday night at 10 really hurt ratings. if they had kept it on thursday nights (or wednesday?) i think it would have had more exposure. i also think the first few episodes of season 2 were a turn-off to many people, as its a very very different tone than the first season.

i think it would have worked better if audrey had been targeted by windom earle after leland's death to keep a sense of intensity in the show. this coupled with the hunt for BOB would have made some compelling television. however, once the killer is revealed the show either had to reinvent itself immediately (it didnt) or fall off a cliff. we're lucky they rebounded to end the show with a bang though, i am grateful for that.
areeng

Post by areeng »

I think it wouldn't be a good idea to continue the show on Cooper-Audrey storyline. It is Twin Peaks, not Invitation to Love :lol: They tried to add some romantic relationship in 2 season (I mean James and Evelyn Marsh) and I think, it was awful, maybe it was the worst storyline in the show.
kim 13781
Roadhouse Member

Post by kim 13781 »

I agree that the show was moved around too much on tv and this had a big impact on the ratings.
I also agree that Audrey being kidnapped by Windom Earle would have been a much more intresting concept than Annie Blackburn, but if the show had made Cooper/Audrey affair the main plot of the show it would have just become like every other show where the main plots seem to be who's sleeping with who and who's having an affair with who something we see everyday in your regular tv show, twin peaks already had enough lovey dovey stuff going on, there was Ed and Norma Mike and Nadine Ben and Catherine. Then there was James who fell in love with Laura then Donna then got confused about Maddy oh and then ended up going with Evelyn.
Shelly and Bobby.
What made twin peaks so different to all other shows was it's complex yet fascinating plot lines something you do'nt see in everyday television and this is why I got and still am totally hooked on it :)
Damn fine coffee...and hot - Agent Cooper