What Scenes take you out of the moment or make you cringe?

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

kim 13781
Roadhouse Member

Re: What Scenes take you out of the moment or make you cringe?

Post by kim 13781 »

:D There are a few things in twin peaks that bug me like the Harry and Josie scenes, the evelyn marsh storylines, and basically any scenes that James and Donna are in especially that singing scene.
The little Nicky storyline I found not too bad as he was'nt in it that much and the Nadine storyline just made me laugh especially when she goes back to high school and chases after Mike.
But I can honestly say that I have never fast forwarded by any scene because I love the show so much despite it's bad parts it has many good parts too many for me to go through I love it and alway's will.
Damn fine coffee...and hot - Agent Cooper
smiling

Post by smiling »

the scene where bobby is visiting shelley in the hospital and he's saying he just doesn't care anymore and nothing matters. i had doubts in the actors projecting that and it makes me cringe.

also when audrey is submitting heself to john justice, i could see her motivation for that and all but he looks like a greasy carnival ride operator when he waves her onto his jet.

finally i love the way albert's character changed and it made sense to me but one thing i wondered on in accordance with what i read on here is when gordon cole mentions that "albert won't be returning, but we have his work" that was almost like a mirror on reality...you have the fbi director, and tv director..possibly selecting to take a guy off the show, off the case, but why? was it that it was soo up in the air albert's change prompted change...like some i ching, deep.
Audrey Horne
Lodge Member

Post by Audrey Horne »

probably because Migeul (Albert) was a guest star and was contracted for only so many episodes -I can't remember, but he also might have been filming another series too- or at least a pilot.

And I can't see Fenn's motivation at all for Audrey being swept up by Jack except that the script dictated it -by that oh so witty banter. According to Fenn, she was already upset by the direction of the series.

I don't mind the Bobby scene with Shelly though -but it does feel like Clean Slate. New Season. And sorry, I think the second season premiere goes on a little too long without adding anything in the slow pace like the pilot- too many exposition hospital scenes. The first half hour and the last half hour I adore though.
God, I love this music. Isn't it too dreamy?
Owl Lady

Post by Owl Lady »

Scenes that make me cringe in a bad way--

Donna's 'slut-scene' (while wearing Laura's sunglasses) with James while he's in the slammer. The one and only way I'd buy that scene is if we are supposed to perhaps think that she is 'lightly possessed' by Laura when she dons the glasses, but even then, the finger-sucking is just tacky. I always close my eyes, count to ten while listening to the music (which I like), and just wait for the scene to pass.

Lana Budding-Milford's 'Jazz Contortionist Exotica' dance during the talent portion of the Miss Twin Peaks contest. As a dancer, the woman was a complete no-hoper, and she was neither exotic nor a contortionist, by any stretch of the imagination. Certainly there was nothing about her dancing talent that would have driven men to paroxysms of Shakespearian poetry recitation and sexual frenzy. It is always just kind of boring to watch her gracelessness, and so I usually time a kitchen snack-run or a quick bathroom trip to coincide with her 'routine'.

Evelyn Marsh's hooker-from-hell leg-crossing routine when she first meets James in the bar. It's way more than I ever wanted to see of her rather cadaverous-looking thighs. I darned near expect to hear cricket-noises coming from her because all the leg-rubbing, and that's the only way I get through that scene-- by thinking of it as a joke.

Scenes that make me cringe in a good way--

The shot of the bloody hank of Leland Palmer's hair that is still clinging to the cell door when Coop, Truman and Albert rush back into the interrogation cell in an effort to stop Leland's Bob-induced head-battering.

Leland asking Agent Cooper if he wants to see his new golf clubs after the 'Surrey With The Fringe On Top' near miss on the highway. When Coop turns his back on Leland when Truman calls to him, Leland looks like he's about to go crazy and brain Cooper on the spot.

I also always wince when Jean Renault licks his fingers after he feeds Audrey her English caramels, and I really creepy-cringe when he 'comforts' her after he shoots Emory Battis in her presence at One Eyed Jack's.
"Hoo-Hoo, Hoo-Hoo-Hoo-oo-oo..."
--Various Owls in random trees in and around Twin Peaks
gavriloP
RR Diner Member

Post by gavriloP »

Man, I seem to be quite a fan after all :) Most of the stuff that makes people uneasy, I like. For example that gandhi and MLK speech of Albert is great and essential. It really makes the character, otherwise he would've just been some 2d cynical badass. To me it is totally believeable. I believe in love too but man sometimes its hard ;) And it doesn't necessary show. And he doesn't really love the sheriff. He definitely didn't soften, but he is a man of reason. And ideals ;)

John Justice Wheeler wasn't so great but mostly that's because Audrey changed to worse when she started to be a little business woman (she didn't even look so hot anymore ;) ). That started nice with her schooling Bobby but it got worse. There was nowhere to go. Audrey would've deserved better.

I loved the civil war stuff and everything that involved Horne brothers, they were dynamic duo, real rascals. I even loved pine weasel, beat that.

Dick Tremayne was pretty far out but I liked the character. And come on, he is Lester Guy! Little Nicky gotta go, though.

Nadine the superwoman is a stretch but without it she would've been one unlikeable whining b*tch. And of course the end makes it ok (I mean when she snaps out of it in final episode, there is real tragedy going on there).

Lana Milford wasn't my favourite but I got the impression that it was animal magnetism at work. If she really would've been so hot to look at it would've been boring. Now it was that undefineable charm of love magic and feromons in the air. And about jazz exotica, check this stuff http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exotica. Les Baxter is quite something.

Evelyn Marsh storyline is horrible but I would never skip even that.

I'd say the only major stuff I didn't care for was Truman's and Josie's relationship. It just didn't touch me. And there was quite a lot of it too.

I loved that hobby horse of Windom. But one thing that I definitely didn't like was the band that had one of its members killed by Mr. Earle. What was that? It should've been a rockabilly band!

"Just You" rocks my world! That guitar and tape echo, sweet nirvana. It isn't something you hear every day.

EDIT: And just to add, here in Finland they showed TP this way: first season ended after episode 14 (after Maddy's death). Quite a cliffhanger too, even if not so big as in original. To me that was the best part of TP (I love the beginning of US 2nd season the most). And when you think about it the 2nd season here in Finland (from 15 to the end) should've felt pretty bad. But it worked IMO. And Annie Blackburn is little clumsy but hey, Heather Graham is one sweet gal. Drugstore Cowboys is damn fine movie.

EDIT2: Wow, I actually watched episode 22 last night for the first time in many many years from my gold box DVD (I didn't have episodes 15 & 22 on VHS) and there is this strange buddy scene with Truman, Albert and Cooper. It was little cringeworthy and goes against my idea of Albert but I still like that earlier speech :) I can now understand the critics, though. And I had forgotten how convoluted that Marsh storyline came in the end.

And as a sidenote, it was funny to see episode 15, I hadn't seen it in 18 years.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

That dialogue right before Coop and Annie trip the light fantastic in either episode 27 or 28, when he says something to her along the lines of "Your forest is beautiful and peaceful" as a means of seducing her. I wondered if that writer had ever been with a woman before in his life, it was just painful.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
They-Shot-Waldo!
RR Diner Member

Post by They-Shot-Waldo! »

Audrey Horne wrote: And sorry, I think the second season premiere goes on a little too long without adding anything in the slow pace like the pilot- too many exposition hospital scenes. The first half hour and the last half hour I adore though.
Completely agree about the second season premiere. I appreciate that it being 'event television' it demanded a double-hour season premiere (much like recent seasons of Lost for example), but it does really drag sometimes on re-watch. The subdued pace of the pilot was necessary to set up a feel for the town and the central players in the murder mystery. I know of one friend for instance who enthusiasm for the show was killed when 'Senior Droolcup' takes so long bringing Cooper his milk. (But I love it). You have to admire Lynch for - as always - breaking the norms of television drama, but I can also appreciate folks' impatience to move on to finding on what's been happening with Audrey, Leo, Catherine, Pete, etc.

That said, it has some of the best moments of the whole series. Off-hand I recall:
- The aforementioned waiter scene, and Cooper pondering what he would have liked to have done
- Maddie's vision in the carpet
- Leland dancing with Ben and Jerry
- Major Briggs' speech to Bobby
- Ronette's dream
-- Gerry

the black dog runs at night
Black Rose
Roadhouse Member

Post by Black Rose »

The fire at the mill.

It's such an obvious set it's distracting from the (supposed) drama of the scene.
Colonel Cooper
Roadhouse Member

Re: What Scenes take you out of the moment or make you cring

Post by Colonel Cooper »

Just watched 'Arbitrary Law' again and noticed, for the first time, that when Leland runs into wall for the first time - it moved :!:
Had to watch it over a couple more times. From now on I know it will take me out of that particular scene - oh well :?
Just Agent, Audrey. Special Agent.
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

Colonel Cooper wrote:Just watched 'Arbitrary Law' again and noticed, for the first time, that when Leland runs into wall for the first time - it moved :!:
Had to watch it over a couple more times. From now on I know it will take me out of that particular scene - oh well :?
agreed...that drives me nuts.
TheArm
Great Northern Member

Post by TheArm »

This might be an odd choice, but in "Arbitrary Law," I always cringe during that scene at the Palmer house where Leland/BOB tries to dance with Donna. I love the scene in general, which is super creepy and tense, but the one moment that always takes me out of it is that big BOB howl + lightening/thunderclap by the record player (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOI5XSa2 ... re=related). I find it to be really OTT and cheesy, and this sort of thing was done infinitely better by Lynch himself in other episodes.
"Fire...walk...with...me...MEEE!!!"
Mysterioso

Post by Mysterioso »

Brad D wrote:
Colonel Cooper wrote:Just watched 'Arbitrary Law' again and noticed, for the first time, that when Leland runs into wall for the first time - it moved :!:
agreed...that drives me nuts.
This not happen in my version. :mrgreen:
Brad D
Global Moderator

Post by Brad D »

TheArm wrote:This might be an odd choice, but in "Arbitrary Law," I always cringe during that scene at the Palmer house where Leland/BOB tries to dance with Donna. I love the scene in general, which is super creepy and tense, but the one moment that always takes me out of it is that big BOB howl + lightening/thunderclap by the record player (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOI5XSa2 ... re=related). I find it to be really OTT and cheesy, and this sort of thing was done infinitely better by Lynch himself in other episodes.
Right after BOB screams and it cuts to Donna, her face (to me) says "Oh my God, Frank Silva PLEASE do not touch me..." which takes me way out of the moment.
Jerry Horne
Global Moderator

Post by Jerry Horne »

BOB should only be seen at night.
RARE TWIN PEAKS COLLECTIBLES AT ---> WWW.TWINPEAKSGENERALSTORE.BLOGSPOT.COM
page_ripped_out

Post by page_ripped_out »

Evenreven wrote: The scary stain is truly scary because you have no idea what it is - you just know that it freaks Maddy completely out. (I know it was written with Bob in mind, but the Bob version sucks big time.)
)
Oh wow, you've suddenly brought up a memory i'm not sure is real or not ! :shock:

As i read your post, i recall the carpet stain with a wibbly wobbly Bob face appearing into the stain, scooby doo style !

Didi this happen or am i mis-remembering this ? My DVD gold box doesn't have this ( just the stain ) so where did i see this originally ? On BBC2 when it was first broadcast ? If this WAS in, then when was this removed ?

Thanks ! I hope i am right about htis, though it is no doubt a muddled memory :lol:
" Diane, I'm holding in my hand, a box of small chocolate bunnies... "