Official Season Two/Gold Box release in UK/Ireland Thread

General discussion on Twin Peaks not related to the series, film, books, music, photos, or collectors merchandise.

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Re: Official Season Two/Gold Box release in UK/Ireland Thread

Post by MysteryMan »

grantf wrote:Has anyone got the UK season 2 DVDs yet? I got Season 1 when it was released but since I've already got the gold box (imported Dutch version) I don't think there's any reason for me to get Season 2. However, if Season 2 has the "Previously on..." and "Next on..." clips (like Season 1 does) then I might pick it up. Can anyone confirm if they're on the Season 2 DVDs?

I had a look at the UK gold box. It doesn't come with any postcards so I'm glad I got mine when I did!
I got my UK season 2 DVD set today. And it looks like the content is identical to the international release. Neither does it contain any of the "Previously on Twin Peaks" segments. I am puzzled why these were not included seeing as they were included on the season 1 set. So I think I will need to hold on to the UK VHS PAL set a little longer!!
The next time you see me it won't be me...
Albert Rosenfeld

Post by Albert Rosenfeld »

I bought my edition this week and haven't stopped watching it, although I did notice a fib, of sorts on the box, now it might be just me, but it claims that there is 2.0 Audio on it as well as the 5.1 mix, but the discs don't appear to give you that option, with the 5.1 being the only sound choice.
Murray
Roadhouse Member

Post by Murray »

I noticed that too, although I think the 5.1 mix is superb.
Albert Rosenfeld

Murray wrote:I noticed that too, although I think the 5.1 mix is superb.
Oh most definitely, you know it's just I hate it when my DVD's misinform me like that. :)

It's still a great collection though and does the series justice.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

grantf wrote:Has anyone got the UK season 2 DVDs yet? I got Season 1 when it was released but since I've already got the gold box (imported Dutch version) I don't think there's any reason for me to get Season 2. However, if Season 2 has the "Previously on..." and "Next on..." clips (like Season 1 does) then I might pick it up. Can anyone confirm if they're on the Season 2 DVDs?

I had a look at the UK gold box. It doesn't come with any postcards so I'm glad I got mine when I did!
I also got the gold box this week. And neither this box set (the UK version) includes the "Previously on" segments, not even for the first season which were included for the season 1 set. I wonder if we will ever see these again on DVD....
Albert Rosenfeld

MysteryMan wrote:

I also got the gold box this week. And neither this box set (the UK version) includes the "Previously on" segments, not even for the first season which were included for the season 1 set. I wonder if we will ever see these again on DVD....
The thing is most television shows when they're released on DVD tend to have their recaps cut. 20th Century Fox have been doing that for years, their X Files and Buffy collections being edited to remove them, whilst I think I read somewhere the R1 24 DVD's have theirs missing as well. It seems to be a somewhat reccuring thing with some television DVD releases.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

Albert Rosenfeld wrote:
MysteryMan wrote:

The thing is most television shows when they're released on DVD tend to have their recaps cut. 20th Century Fox have been doing that for years, their X Files and Buffy collections being edited to remove them, whilst I think I read somewhere the R1 24 DVD's have theirs missing as well. It seems to be a somewhat reccuring thing with some television DVD releases.
I have noticed Desperate Housewives have theirs on the DVD releases.
Albert Rosenfeld

MysteryMan wrote:
I have noticed Desperate Housewives have theirs on the DVD releases.
ABC/Disney tend to leave their shows alone in that regard. The Alias and Lost DVD's are the same, although in the case of Alias, if you were to cut the recaps from that show you'd lose half of the running times of the episodes.

It seems to be a strange pattern with some DVD releases of some shows that I don't understand.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

I have reed somewhere long time ago (one of Dugpa's interviews???) that recaps for TP was made by ABC so when they remastered episodes for DVD release, they used Lynch/Frost prints that dosn't have recaps portion.
MysteryMan
RR Diner Member

Post by MysteryMan »

qbin2001 wrote:I have reed somewhere long time ago (one of Dugpa's interviews???) that recaps for TP was made by ABC so when they remastered episodes for DVD release, they used Lynch/Frost prints that dosn't have recaps portion.
Then why were they included on the UK season one DVD release and the UK video cassette releases?
dugpa
Site Admin

Post by dugpa »

It seems that the UK set also does not include the Georgia Coffee Commercials. This is likely due to the high cost of acquirring them.

Sadly, I asked one fo the UK reps about the content and they said it would be identical.

Too bad as the 2.0 Audio and Georgia Coffee commercials really make the set for me.
Fall_of_Sophia
Roadhouse Member

Post by Fall_of_Sophia »

No cards in UK Gold Box set. Well none in mine anyway. Different packaging too.
qbin2001
Great Northern Member

Post by qbin2001 »

MysteryMan wrote:
qbin2001 wrote:I have reed somewhere long time ago (one of Dugpa's interviews???) that recaps for TP was made by ABC so when they remastered episodes for DVD release, they used Lynch/Frost prints that dosn't have recaps portion.
Then why were they included on the UK season one DVD release and the UK video cassette releases?
This was Aristan masters for DVD (only for season one). Season two was remastered from different sources as I remeber (there are - for example - few differences in Maddy's death scene compared to the broadcasted version). I suppose that Aristan made their remaster from ABC's negatives.