True second viewing

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

TheGum
RR Diner Member

True second viewing

Post by TheGum »

Man- I’m in the midst of my first true second viewing, and It’s very different from watching a second or third time in the context of it coming out. I have to say- it’s fucking intense. All the complaints about vibe and lack of music are WAY off base. I considered them at the time (first viewing) but man- it’s so layered, and I truly believe it’s re-establishing a time that has to present itself. And eff your nostalgia, this season is ideal.
I'm back in style!
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Re: True second viewing

Post by TheGum »

Crap I didn’t correctly categorize. Lil help moderators?
I'm back in style!
Mr. Strawberry
RR Diner Member

Post by Mr. Strawberry »

TheGum wrote:Man- I’m in the midst of my first true second viewing, and It’s very different from watching a second or third time in the context of it coming out. I have to say- it’s fucking intense. All the complaints about vibe and lack of music are WAY off base. I considered them at the time (first viewing) but man- it’s so layered, and I truly believe it’s re-establishing a time that has to present itself. And eff your nostalgia, this season is ideal.
While I agree that it would have been absolutely cringe inducing if they'd gone on a mission to capture that old feeling by copycatting scenes and shots and so on from 25 years ago, I do believe that we could have used a bit more mist and small town charm and conversation between old characters.

But anyway I'm actually just writing to say it's great to hear that you're having a blast on the rewatch. I only watched it once, as it aired, and am pretty excited about watching it again without the immense pressure that hung over me throughout the entire show. Expectations and desires aside, I hated watching it on a modern player because of the progress bar. Whenever I needed to pause the thing, that damn progress bar would be there taunting me, letting me know that "we're halfway into it" or whatever, in turn raising the tension as I lamented that it would soon be over for the week. It was like being in the desert and desperately licking the last drops from an empty canteen.

Watching the original series was so different. I had no sense of real world time or how much of each episode was left or anything like that. I majorly flinched when Dale slammed his head into the mirror, and when I realized it was all over -- especially on that note -- I felt like someone had taken a sledgehammer to my face. This one, on the other hand, was set in stone at 18 parts, and as the show neared its finale I was pretty wound up for various reasons related to knowing that. These little things make a world of difference!
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Uh huh. Just knowing Ep8 and the ending scream that await, changes everything about the pace and tension. It's like a death march, with some truly joyous departures here and there, distant, almost as through a dark mirror bits (ittiest bits) of nostalgia, and moments of warm glow (even if it includes death or leaving, ie the Log Lady, or Dale bidding goodbye to the Joneses) that's much akin to the all too sparse street lamps of a night drive in a backwoods. When I approach watching it again, it's always with the long night drive in P18 in mind; that's how I feel, as an audience, that I'm stuck in a dark interior easing forward, toward maybe a crash, maybe a failed headlight.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
Rik Renault
Roadhouse Member

Post by Rik Renault »

I'm working my way through for my second proper watch too. I've got the luxury of BluRay quality this time, and it's making some unexpected differences. Generally it's great – and the sound is much better than I remember – but it's almost too high quality in a lot of cases and some of the sets are looking more like sets than real places.

With regards to recapturing the charm of the old TP, this watch has solidified for me that they have purposefully steered away from that because TP and the world generally is a very dark and solemn place right now. It seems like the doppelgänger is just part of a seeping evil that seems to be dominating everything.

Whereabouts are you up to in your rewatch?
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

I am watching it 2 episodes at a time, when I can really WATCH. No interruptions, no one else. At this point I'm up to ep 5, I really think it makes a huge difference having gone through it all once, so you can let your expectations go, and really focus on the details, listen to the sounds...
I'm back in style!
TheGum
RR Diner Member

Post by TheGum »

I also feel strongly that having a year to digest it and come back to the material is key to true enjoyment. I enjoyed the original run, several different times, in various contexts, over several years. As with most Lynch- this is art that is meant to be unwrapped over time.
I'm back in style!
AXX°N N.
Great Northern Member

Post by AXX°N N. »

Rik Renault wrote:I'm working my way through for my second proper watch too. I've got the luxury of BluRay quality this time, and it's making some unexpected differences. Generally it's great – and the sound is much better than I remember – but it's almost too high quality in a lot of cases and some of the sets are looking more like sets than real places.

With regards to recapturing the charm of the old TP, this watch has solidified for me that they have purposefully steered away from that because TP and the world generally is a very dark and solemn place right now. It seems like the doppelgänger is just part of a seeping evil that seems to be dominating everything.

Whereabouts are you up to in your rewatch?
I couldn't believe how much of a difference the bluray made to me ... it improved my qualms with pretty much every little minor aesthetic thing that was bugging me, most of all the lighting of special effects sequences. Everything just looks super good.
Recipe not my own. In a coffee cup. 3 TBS flour, 2 TBS sugar, 1.5 TBS cocoa powder, .25 TSP baking powder, pinch of salt. 3 TBS milk, 1.5 TBS vegetable oil, 1 TBS peanut butter. Add and mix each set. Microwave 1 minute 10 seconds. The cup will be hot.
saygoodbyetojack
Roadhouse Member

Post by saygoodbyetojack »

Yeah I felt the same. I watched each part 3 to 4 times each week they were released. I really enjoyed it at the time but I did a rewatch recently of all 18 parts in 3 days and it was a completely different experience. The overall flow of the whole thing was so good. Some parts where the pacing felt strange/off when I initially watched them felt like they worked so much better this time. I’d highly recommend this approach for anybody who was unsure how they initially felt about it the first time around.