One year later - how are we feeling?

Moderators: Brad D, Annie, Jonah, BookhouseBoyBob, Ross, Jerry Horne

sugarhigh
Roadhouse Member

Re: One year later - how are we feeling?

Post by sugarhigh »

I still think it was absolutely terrible. It really makes season 2 look like a masterpiece, lol. I know I'll get nostalgic someday about all of the excitement leading up to it's broadcast, the friends I made at the fest & during filming, but I can't see myself ever re watching it.
A salamander spit donuts.
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

I still need to do a full rewatch. I've been going back and looking at scenes more often recently, although I tend to pick scenes I like. I should look at ones I hated to find out if my opinion has changed. For the most part, I'd still rate myself about 51% disappointed. This return could have been made any number of ways. When you watch something that's really good, you can't imagine it being any other way. With this, even with the parts and aspects I did enjoy, it doesn't feel like it's the best version of what it could have been. Of course thinking about "couldas" is totally useless. You just have to take it as it is.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

I really struggled to let expectations go during the first watch and take in what I was seeing. Having seen a David Lynch art exhibition a couple of years back, I was more prepared for the visual look of the series, but it still struck me as extremely uncompromising, and almost designed to alienate the audience (both new fans and fans of the original show). I can still access the part of my brain that wanted to know what happened next for 25 years, and that part of my brain can't really say what did happen!

Am looking forward to FWWM on the home projector tonight- the first time I will have revisited the old stuff since S3.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

I am still pretty much where I was at the time, in the disappointed group, and it feels pretty settled right now. I would not retract anything I wrote there, and do not feel like I have anything to add. Recently, a local network over here in Central Europe started re-airing the Return on a daily basis. I watched the first three parts and then simple tuned out, never looking back, without any struggle or hesitation. I do not own it on DVD, do not plan to.

What I think I finally managed to do was to make a distinction between the original and the Return, where I can consider the Return as if it were a spurious work. So I kept my original DVDs (and music), although I still can't get myself to watch them. One exception: FWWM, bit the bullet and saw it about 3-4 months ago, it was not tarnished by the Return in any way, which is great.

What is interesting about the Return to me is to follow some leads into written material that was used (probably more by Frost, but you never know), as an inspiration or source to come up with those 2 hours or so of the Return that I found interesting and watchable.

Is this it? I though when it had finished that that was it, and that it could only come back as a feature film or a four-part series. I can somehow still see that happening but the chances are not that good. I can also see that some folks could warm up to the Return after a while, it may well be the last that we see of that world and its inhabitants, so we may as well make some peace with it.
frankenhooker

Post by frankenhooker »

I’m in the ‘enjoyed, but didn’t love’ camp. That said it stuck with me, I often find myself randomly thinking about certain scenes and characters. I can see it being something I return to frequently.
The Gazebo
RR Diner Member

Post by The Gazebo »

boske wrote:I am still pretty much where I was at the time, in the disappointed group, and it feels pretty settled right now. I would not retract anything I wrote there, and do not feel like I have anything to add.
Pretty much the same view here. I watch a few of the good bits on Youtube from time to time. Yes, there are several scenes I'm still in awe of, and if the rest of the show had tied into those moments of magic, and presented us with anything resembling a coherent story with interesting characters - set in Twin bloody Peaks - I would begin every day worshipping a poster of David Lynch. I have not done a single rewatch of a full episode since the opening third of the show aired. I managed to find the first 2 1/2 episodes intriguing, despite the clear alteration in "mood" from the original. Likewise, I thought the final two episodes were more to my taste (minus green glove). Anything inbetween was mostly just the 'Dougie does Vegas' show, interspersed with a few meaningless cameos. All in all, It's a bit like an old double LP from the era of 'concept albums' with just a few good tracks on it.
boske wrote:What I think I finally managed to do was to make a distinction between the original and the Return, where I can consider the Return as if it were a spurious work. So I kept my original DVDs (and music), although I still can't get myself to watch them. One exception: FWWM, bit the bullet and saw it about 3-4 months ago, it was not tarnished by the Return in any way, which is great.
Same here. I now view the original as a magnificent, collective effort of various writers and directors, but have not watched it since David Lynch's "Ideas from the backburner" was released instead of Twin Peaks season 3.
boske
Great Northern Member

Post by boske »

The Gazebo wrote:I have not done a single rewatch of a full episode since the opening third of the show aired. I managed to find the first 2 1/2 episodes intriguing, despite the clear alteration in "mood" from the original. Likewise, I thought the final two episodes were more to my taste (minus green glove). Anything inbetween was mostly just the 'Dougie does Vegas' show, interspersed with a few meaningless cameos.
Yes, you’re right on the final two parts. That hideous green glove cannot imo be ever redeemed. The rest was ok, I can see where they were going with it, but I was so ticked off at that point that I stopped caring.
yaxomoxay
Great Northern Member

One year later - how are we feeling?

Post by yaxomoxay »

I think about it every single day, mostly in positive light. I think it changed me as S1 did back in the day.

My wife a couple of days ago said that she hopes for a 20-hour long Dougie spin-off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

So I watched FWWM for the first time since S3 last night, and it was epic! So much of what seemed like abstract atmosphere in the film when I watched it before now seemed more significant (e.g. the endless references to electricity and superimposed static). It really has been enhanced by S3, which I already saw as the direct sequel. Comparing with the Secret History (particularly the chapter on Jacoby, and references such as "life is but a dream"), FWWM seems to indicate a very fluid relationship between different levels of reality, in a way that I simply didn't appreciate before, and I think that is what S3 is about too .

It also brought home to me that I don't think Lynch has topped FWWM since (at least for me). I just love it to bits. The high points of S3 are right up there, but of course there is so much extra filler. I don't think it is remotely possible to have 18 hours that sustain the same level as FWWM, in the same way that the original show had endless filler in it- that's just the nature of the medium.

FWWM also raised more questions and answered none! For example, why in Laura's dream does the "wallpaper room" lead to the red room, but in the show it led to the dark motel?
baxter
Great Northern Member

Post by baxter »

Just rewatched the Pilot too. Still magic, but still a completely different show to S3! I found that knowing the later trajectory didn't prevent enjoyment of S1 though. Plus I totally forgot about the appearance of the chocolate bunnies.

The series did look more dated than it had pre-S3. I had always defended it as timeless, but the late 80s TV style really jumped out at me.
Snailhead
Great Northern Member

Post by Snailhead »

My feelings have been inconsistent since the start - unsure to like to love to hate to like - etc etc

They have settled to a feeling of satisfaction. There are many episodes that are superb as standalone films. Episode 8. Episodes 11.

I re-watched episode 10 the other day on a projector - and it was glorious.

But I also kind of feel like the parts are often more interesting than the whole.

Oddly, possibly the worst parts of the show for me are now the Hutch and Chantal scenes. The joke is funny the first time, then it's just more and more of the same, using two very talented actors in a boring way.
mtwentz
Lodge Member

Post by mtwentz »

Snailhead wrote:My feelings have been inconsistent since the start - unsure to like to love to hate to like - etc etc

They have settled to a feeling of satisfaction. There are many episodes that are superb as standalone films. Episode 8. Episodes 11.

I re-watched episode 10 the other day on a projector - and it was glorious.

But I also kind of feel like the parts are often more interesting than the whole.

Oddly, possibly the worst parts of the show for me are now the Hutch and Chantal scenes. The joke is funny the first time, then it's just more and more of the same, using two very talented actors in a boring way.
I don't love all the Chantal/Hutch scenes, but I personally feel the scene where they talk about the Mormons and the government killing people all the time is hilarious.

I also love their final scene, the shootout in Dougie's neighborhood, as a classic example of subverting expectations. We have the FBI, we have the Mitchum Brothers, the perfect Mexican standoff ready to happen. Then this Polish accountant comes out of nowhere. And Belushi caps it off with, 'what kind of a $%#@ neighborhood is this?!".
F*&^ you Gene Kelly
IcedOver
RR Diner Member

Post by IcedOver »

mtwentz wrote:I also love their final scene, the shootout in Dougie's neighborhood, as a classic example of subverting expectations. We have the FBI, we have the Mitchum Brothers, the perfect Mexican standoff ready to happen. Then this Polish accountant comes out of nowhere. And Belushi caps it off with, 'what kind of a $%#@ neighborhood is this?!".
I liked Hutch's line "What is this now?". That's emblematic of the audience reaction through the whole season.
I DON'T FEEL GOOD!!!!!
pinballmars
Roadhouse Member

Post by pinballmars »

Still love it, still think about it everyday. I like what yaxomoxay said above about how Season 3 changed him like Season 1 did. I feel exactly the same way. When I was 13 and 14 and watching Twin Peaks during the original airing, I taped every episode (thank you, grandma, for that Zenith TV/VCR combo gift for Christmas 1989) and watched it several times again and again until the next episode. Even during the Season 2 low points. I was devoted to this show.

I have never done that for any other TV series. I loved "Breaking Bad" and "The Sorpranos", but I didn't watch each new episode five times while waiting until the next installment.

And then "Twin Peaks: The Return" happened and all of a sudden, at age 40, I was behaving exactly like I did in 1990 and 91. I watched every new episode twice each night and then a few more times over the week. I was devoted again and it was so much fun.

The summer of 2017 was The Summer of Twin Peaks. I will never forget it.
krishnanspace
Bookhouse Member

Post by krishnanspace »

pinballmars wrote: The summer of 2017 was The Summer of Twin Peaks. I will never forget it.
Totally agree! I miss Last Year.Over at my place, monsoon had started.Having a hot Coffee and cozying myself up with rain drops racing down the window while watching The Return was the perfect way to watch it!
One year later now,its the same atmosphere but no new Twin Peaks :(
Damn, one of the best days of my life